Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
iPad Owners Please Verify ...

Dear iPad Owners,

Please verify for me that internal links in an epub file running on an iPad using iBooks, work or do not work.

Either way, please site the the book you test.

Just so I'm clear, an internal link is a hyperlink from one part of a book to another part in the same book. An external link goes from the book to some web page outside the book. These work.

Thank you. This will help publishers like myself who do not own an iPad.

- Fabe
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Do you have any examples of books that have this feature?
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgriff View Post
Do you have any examples of books that have this feature?
Your question made me realize I was assuming you had your own. Thank you for snapping me to attention. I will post a couple in a short time. - Fabe
Old 10-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I have ePub books in iBooks that have links between end-note numbers and their respective notes. You can click on the number and go to the note, then back to the text you were reading. Is that what you mean?
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Yes they work. I'm not going to site any examples but any book with a toc at the start is an obvious example.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Generally I find they work, however, every now and then some don't. For instance, if I download some news feeds from Calibre, most hyper links work, but one feed (the Daily Telegraph), some links don't and some do.

Most books I've tried, the links do work though
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Fabe
Dylanologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I have ePub books in iBooks that have links between end-note numbers and their respective notes. You can click on the number and go to the note, then back to the text you were reading. Is that what you mean?
Thanks for the confirmation JMikeD, yes, that's exactly what I mean, it's good to hear. I am surprised you can get back to the number from the end-note. Most people describe a one-way journey. Can you post some epub code?

Thanks again - Fabe
Old 10-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Fabe
Dylanologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Generally I find they work, however, every now and then some don't. For instance, if I download some news feeds from Calibre, most hyper links work, but one feed (the Daily Telegraph), some links don't and some do.

Most books I've tried, the links do work though
pthwaite, just so I understand, you are testing these epub files on your iPad using iBooks? Thanks - Fabe
Old 10-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Internal hyperlinks within ePub books work absolutely fine with iBooks. I use them all over the place in the books that I create - for the TOC, endnotes, etc. No problems at all in iBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Fabe
Dylanologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Internal hyperlinks within ePub books work absolutely fine with iBooks. I use them all over the place in the books that I create - for the TOC, endnotes, etc. No problems at all in iBooks.
Not all implementations work absolutely fine, they should, but they don't. Can you post a sample of your epub code that you know does work?

Thanks - Fabe
Old 10-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Fabe,
Yes I mean with iBooks. It's the reader I use most although I do like the new bluefire app.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #12
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Works fine for me.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #13
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
There's a bug in CS5 that breaks all the internal links one way when exporting to epub. Don't use first level chapter breaks and keep the book one file.
Fankly, I just went back to CS4.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
NewDay
Connoisseur
NewDay doesn't litterNewDay doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Created an ePub, viewed it on iPad, all hyperlinks citing URLs work without fail. Internal hyperlinks wouldn't work across files (within the same document) but did work within files. Proofed out on iPad just fine.
NewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
sueneu
eBook Designer
sueneu began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, nook, kindle
Does anyone know how to link back to the iBookstore? My client wants readers to click an on-page link and be able to rate the book.
sueneu is offline   Reply With Quote