Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #46
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Just waiting for the first Kindle virus using Twitter/Facebook as the vector-lol.
I would hope they were smart and there's no facility for code execution from a data source.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #47
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
I think I already know the answer to this from looking at the screenshots, but can someone with the update tell me if you can get true full screen with pdfs now? And by true full screen I mean there is no space reserved at the top and bottom of the screen for menu items such as the current page number. I've been wanting that feature since the day I got my DX.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #48
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Yes we did pay $400.00, could have got 800 on Ebay but stuck with it. An update would be a nice payback.

SXS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The one raspberry I would give Amazon on the Kindle is that K1 owners, the early adopters.. the people that paid for a lot of the R&D... some of us Paid $400 for our units... did not get the features of the previous update nor does it look like we will be getting this one.

Compare this to Sony that for free upgraded PRS-500 owners in order to support ePub and Adobe DRM. They didn't have to do that and most would probably have understood seeing how old the 500 is.

BOb
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #49
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'll ask again since it got lost on the last page....I assume the K1 is left out of this update?

Ooops, guess not given the post above this--got delayed by a phone call in posting this reply.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #50
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I'll ask again since it got lost on the last page....I assume the K1 is left out of this update?

Ooops, guess not given the post above this--got delayed by a phone call in posting this reply.
It's left out, yes. The original Kindle will _not_ get the update. (darnit)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #51
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, pretty lame. I'd love to at least get the collections/folders support. Don't really care about the PDF stuff as the screen is too small for my PDF needs anyway.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #52
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Can you group multiple collections into 1 collection?
That would be folders or nested collections... and NO. It is a single flat list of collections. So, not really what you could get with a tagging system or a folder system... sort of somewhere in between.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #53
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
any video/pic on how the pdf zoom support works?

been hanging around, still not made up my mind whether to get a ebook reader, ipad or some netbook

if pdf support is much better, i might get it then... powerpoints from college classes, probably useful to be on a kindle dx(or 2...)
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #54
aslterp
aslterp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Wondering if there is a way to expedite this "late May" update. I have a Ki and my son K2. He is in the Navy and about to deploy! I would love him to have the update before he leaves. Though I have thought of swapping with him - I do think the Ki has better screen contrast when I compare mine to his - so I am getting selfish on that! But if he could get the update before he ships out - any idea?
aslterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #55
ziplizard
Enthusiast
ziplizard doesn't litterziplizard doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
any video/pic on how the pdf zoom support works?

been hanging around, still not made up my mind whether to get a ebook reader, ipad or some netbook

if pdf support is much better, i might get it then... powerpoints from college classes, probably useful to be on a kindle dx(or 2...)
Kindle Boards has some snapshots of the new update, including a couple of the PDF zoom feature. Scroll about halfway down the page to see them. (link originally posted by AnemicOak) You can zoom 'fit to page', 100%, 150%, 200%, and 300%.

My question: I don't think this was asked before, but what kinds of Kindles have gotten the update so far? I think I read in the earlier posts someone with a DXi saying they got one. Anyone with a 2i, 2, or DX got an update to 2.5 yet?
ziplizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #56
ziplizard
Enthusiast
ziplizard doesn't litterziplizard doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslterp View Post
Wondering if there is a way to expedite this "late May" update. I have a Ki and my son K2. He is in the Navy and about to deploy! I would love him to have the update before he leaves. Though I have thought of swapping with him - I do think the Ki has better screen contrast when I compare mine to his - so I am getting selfish on that! But if he could get the update before he ships out - any idea?
aslterp, have you tried contacting Amazon and just ask? I know it's a long shot, but you might get lucky. Other than that, you just have to wait. Amazon says on their blog that they're releasing the update in batches.
ziplizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #57
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's left out, yes. The original Kindle will _not_ get the update. (darnit)
I don't know if it is genuine or not, but on the amazon.com Kindle forum, someone posted a message they said they'd gotten from Amazon that said they're 'working on' a Collections update for K1, with no delivery date. Hope that's true, for cryin out loud, K1's have not been around that long!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #58
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
I would hope they were smart and there's no facility for code execution from a data source.
And since Kindle is running Linux and there are no Linux viruses in the wild, it's pretty doubtful.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:49 AM   #59
daxbr
daxbr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle1, kindle7
Please correct me if I am wrong but it looks like once again Kindle 1 owners are left out.

Very disappointing Amazon abandoned their pioneer customers who invested in Kindle 1 when Amazon needed their support the most.
daxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #60
Nine989
Ebook Destroyer
Nine989 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 - Kindle 2 - Kindle Dx
I just got the update for my Kindle Dx Global. I do not know if they are transferable but if someone wants it I would gladly send them a link in private.

I' ll be off today so here's the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/38188633..._472900057.bin

Last edited by Nine989; 04-30-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: In order to correct a huge grammatical mistake
Nine989 is offline   Reply With Quote