Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Price of Exclusivity

B&N pulled graphic novels from shelves in response to DC Comic’s exclusive deal with Amazon's Kindle Fire. We've seen this from indie bookstores too, in response to authors' deals with Amazon imprint Thomas & Mercer. This isn't good for readers, and it might be enough to keep me from ever signing a publishing deal with Amazon.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/...dle-fire-deal/

L.J.
[Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-26-2012 at 06:33 AM.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
L.J.

you have to follow your own star. I respect you for doing that.

I on the other hand like the slogan, "Show me the money!"
I can thoroughly respect myself for doing that.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I expect Amazon to cut more of these types of deals in the future-really could give them an edge.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
So Brick&Mortar stores that are already struggling to stay in business in the USA (as far as I've read) are handing Customers over to Amazon because they don't want to stock Books published by Amazon?

I can understand B&Ns decision somewhat, they have the Nook Color and they'd sure like to sell those DC Comics for those too. Besides exclusivity to one store is a bad thing for consumers as well.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
I see this as a possible way for B&N to leverage their strength--their very brick-and-mortarness.

Amazon's strength is pricing, thanks to such things as economies of scale, inventory control (/nonexistence), etc. Perhaps the world is moving toward a time when everybody on the Internet buys their books at amazon.com. This makes a compelling case for publishers to deal with Amazon.

However, there are large numbers of people that don't buy stuff online. They don't hear about new books from online bookstores or social networking sites. They primarily hear about new books by looking around bookstores. Or perhaps they just want instant gratification. This should also be compelling for publishers.

If Amazon gets to leverage their strength, I see no reason for B&N not to leverage their own.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
The exclusivity lasts for four months. Yeah it's hardball but it's not permanent, and it makes sense for them to make short term deals like that to boost the launch. I'm not sure how "bad for readers" it is, since it's available on pretty much every device that can run K4PC (and rooted Nooks). Bad for B&N, yeah.

Didn't Barnes and Noble just get exclusive rights to the Peanuts comic collection for Nook Color? Did Amazon pull those books from sale?

Last edited by OtterBooks; 10-07-2011 at 04:58 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
What I would find more ominous about this development, is that it fits in with the
scenario where Amazon uses Topaz and its DRM to actually make it so the book can
only be read on the devices they authorize and under their control.

As it stands now, most all the books are also available, from other retailers, without
the more difficult DRM and the consumer can obtain the book in a format that can be
used on devices other than Kindles. Failing that the DRM can be easily removed and
the book converted to the needed format/s.

The exclusive deals make it more practical for the attempt to have it so that you can
only buy the book from Amazon and only read it on devices they control.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The exclusive deals make it more practical for the attempt to have it so that you can only buy the book from Amazon and only read it on devices they control.
Well that is sort of the point of being exclusive.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Well that is sort of the point of being exclusive.
And a valid reason for all who own any eReader, other than a Kindle, to
avoid Amazon as a source for ebooks.

(Perhaps also for Kindle Owners to wonder how tight the shackles will get?)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I don't know which is the daftest, the idea that people will want to read comics on a tiny screen, or some corporate suit getting in a strop and forcing their customers to buy from a competitor instead.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I guess people will just have to buy the paper versions from their local comic store instead, or, more likely, from Amazon.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
DC's next movie:
The Darknet Returns
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
B&N pulled graphic novels from shelves in response to DC Comic’s exclusive deal with Amazon's Kindle Fire. We've seen this from indie bookstores too, in response to authors' deals with Amazon imprint Thomas & Mercer. This isn't good for readers, and it might be enough to keep me from ever signing a publishing deal with Amazon.
Agreed, I wasn't planning on putting anything up there either since I don't like the Kindle's DRM "features"- particularly the one that can shut off its text-to-speech chip. This is just going to be another nail in the coffin.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i'm a long time veteran of the video game wars so exclusivity is old hat to me and really no big deal.

imo this is childish as hell of b&n. they took their toys and went home so their customers get nothing now. feel how you want about amazon but the b&n response was utterly juvenile, especially over a deal with an expiration date.

maybe i'm just a weirdo, i refuse to hate amazon. they're successful because they're smart businessmen and broker deals to benefit their customers and brand. any one of us would be cutting the same deals in their position. they're a business, not a charity. i don't know why people are so eager to tear down one of the last american companies that does right by their customers and isn't involved in shenanigans.

Last edited by xg4bx; 10-07-2011 at 07:20 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I'm not sure which book chain it was, but when I was travelling the only comic books in the airport bookstores were Marvel.

Somebody probably had an exclusive deal there...

Is it time to start the Monopoly game again?
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, b&n, dc comic, exclusivity, kindle fire