Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Am I right to be annoyed?

I share an office with several people, as such it is hardly ever empty and the door is never locked (none of us have a key). I left my handbag in my shopping bag in the office, as I always do, and when I went to get it out at lunchtime discovered it and my car keys (which were not in my handbag) gone! Of course I panicked, searched high and low, then had to go to my manager to report it stolen. Just before we went to call the police, we bumped into the site manager who informed us that he had been doing a health and safety audit and decided to take my stuff, to 'educate us' all on safety.

I can understand the thinking, but considering that no note had been left (he says there was but none could be found) and no one else seemed to know about what had happened, I was quite annoyed. I don't believe that taking someone's property is right in this circumstance. Literally on the way to call the police, cancel my cards, we randomly bumped into him, otherwise I would have had no idea!

Just wanted to rant really
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
I share an office with several people, as such it is hardly ever empty and the door is never locked (none of us have a key). I left my handbag in my shopping bag in the office, as I always do, and when I went to get it out at lunchtime discovered it and my car keys (which were not in my handbag) gone! Of course I panicked, searched high and low, then had to go to my manager to report it stolen. Just before we went to call the police, we bumped into the site manager who informed us that he had been doing a health and safety audit and decided to take my stuff, to 'educate us' all on safety.

I can understand the thinking, but considering that no note had been left (he says there was but none could be found) and no one else seemed to know about what had happened, I was quite annoyed. I don't believe that taking someone's property is right in this circumstance. Literally on the way to call the police, cancel my cards, we randomly bumped into him, otherwise I would have had no idea!

Just wanted to rant really
A well justified rant - the idiot misappropriated your property and caused unnecessary distress. They should be disciplined by their own manager.

Last edited by TGS; 05-16-2011 at 02:20 PM.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'd sure be annoyed. Do they provide somewhere for employees to securely store such things? If not I'm not sure what he expects his "educating' to accomplish.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'd sure be annoyed. Do they provide somewhere for employees to securely store such things? If not I'm not sure what he expects his "educating' to accomplish.
No, we are supposedly meant to carry them around with us at all times. Which in the environment I work in would be impractical and expose them to a higher risk of theft! We've always left them in the office.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Having your keys taken is not a safety matter... or a health matter. He clearly went beyond the bounds of his duties.

Where does he expect you to keep your valuables I agree with TGS.?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would have ended up being fired for kneeing the site manager in the dangly bits.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Rainmaker
Zealot
Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G
Seriously?
I can't really believe. For the sake, to prove his point he should 've taken something less "invasive".
Car keys, house keys, cellphone, wallet... never, ever, hide those from someone!
I would rant him to HHRR or his manager. That's not a proper attitude from/towards a work collegue...
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
Tome Keeper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
Seriously?
I can't really believe. For the sake, to prove his point he should 've taken something less "invasive".
Car keys, house keys, cellphone, wallet... never, ever, hide those from someone!
I would rant him to HHRR or his manager. That's not a proper attitude from/towards a work collegue...
I couldn't believe it either but considering it had been kept in the head managers office I don't think complaining will help. I'm just glad that I'm out of there in 2 weeks for good.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I would have reported the theft (that’s exactly what it was) to the police, and insisted that it be prosecuted.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I would have reported the theft (that’s exactly what it was) to the police, and insisted that it be prosecuted.
That was my first instinct - problem is that it isn't theft because in UK law that requires the intention to permanently deprive the owner of their property, which clearly wasn't the case here.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
Norik
Norik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 350 (and a 700 in a drawer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
That was my first instinct - problem is that it isn't theft because in UK law that requires the intention to permanently deprive the owner of their property, which clearly wasn't the case here.
Ahhh, so if the joy riders intend to take a car back they are home clear, and golden in the eyes of the law. Sweet. Where is my steeling trousers?
Norik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Please grab something of his and hide it for a while. It sounds like a lesson certainly needs to be taught to HIM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I would have ended up being fired for kneeing the site manager in the dangly bits.
Hard to disagree with this suggestion. Disguised as a violent sneeze of course.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #14
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Do they provide somewhere for employees to securely store such things? If not I'm not sure what he expects his "educating' to accomplish.
I was thinking this same thing. If no one has a key, and there's nowhere provided to put your things, what are you supposed to do? I'd be very angry if this happened to me. Good thing you're leaving that place.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I probably would have said something along the lines of "I'll just put my stuff safely up your backside the next time I have to leave an unlocked office. I'm sure it will all be safe there. Maybe if you supplied us with a SECURE place to store belongings instead?"

But that's just me.

Or the good old "Where the HELL should I have put my stuff? If you are in charge of security then you should know our office isn't locked because no one has keys to the door? How about your doing your job properly and stop snooping through personal belongings? Wait a second, is that my shade of lipstick I see on your lips?"
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote