Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2007, 06:12 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps there will be another way - we'll have to wait and see. I'm sure the idea of wireless content download is attractive to some people - iRex push it as a selling point for the iLiad, for example.
One problem I do see though is not every computer has a wifi connection. So if you needed to have a wifi connection to the computer then that would not be a good idea for people who don't have such.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:16 AM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't think Slideshow is a bad idea. as long as there is also a USB port to get content over when you don't have Slideshow access. If I had this reader and was using my computer, I'd be on XP and no Slideshow. So unless they gave me a way to get content over to this device independent of Slideshow, it would be totally useless to me.
Could not agree more.
I do not plan to use vista in a near future, so the device is dead for me if it doesn't have a more conventional alternative to access it, such as USB.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:17 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
True. Having both "wired" and "wireless" download methods (such as the iLiad has) provides the maximum flexibility, certainly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:28 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True. Having both "wired" and "wireless" download methods (such as the iLiad has) provides the maximum flexibility, certainly.
It also give it a chance to not just be tied to Vista and let others with XP or OS X or Linux etc have a shot at using this device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:49 AM   #20
ebookie
Entrepreneur
ebookie began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v2
Doesn't pass the HP test though ...

So it would be interesting to have an e-reader which was effectively a printer when associated with a server. You could "print" to it and use the front/back controls as feedback on which page of output to display. That would leave the intelligence in the PC and the display could be made cheaply. However having looked around inside my e-book a bit, its clear the most expensive thing in there is the display! So throwing an xScale CPU running linux in with it is almost free anyway.

--Chuck

(the HP test BTW was HP's lowest end inkjet printers were basically driven off the parallel port and had no intelligence at all inside of them. The idea was that HP gave away the 'rendering mechanism' and then made money on ink. When people wanted to run those printers on Linux boxes or network print servers they came to realize just how much of the "print" part of the "printer" was actually software in the driver!)
ebookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #21
Powdertoast
Powdertoast began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
I don't think there's enough data on this device to make many judgments about it. We don't know size, cost, connectivity (other than may require Windows); even the release date of early November seems too vague. I think Microsoft's web site would have more about it as prelaunch hype generation if it were coming that soon. Then again, maybe it's a side device that MS isn't planning to put much cash into, sort of a dipping of a toe in the waters, so to speak.

I'm not skeptical that it's going to come out at all, just not sure what we're looking at here.

I run Ubuntu, so a Windows-only reader turns me off right away. I agree with what was posted above about a Windows-only device: this being only Windows-friendly doesn't piss me off, just disinterests me. But I already have an iLiad and lurves it, so really this has little impact on me personally.

However, I do like that this device may be yet another competitor in the ereader space that will drive some prices down and perhaps further "legitimize" ereaders and ebooks. MS throwing some of its weight into the ebook biz may go a long way toward pushing ereading toward consumer acceptance critical mass. That'd be good for everyone, except if MS's Borg-like business practices become popular ebook availability practice.
Powdertoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #22
Jason
Jason began at the beginning.

Just one day

When you enter in front of the home page(http://www.ricavision.com/), you saw instantaneous " 1 " expression counts backwards one day
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote