Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
rlsamson
rlsamson began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Is there a way to lighten the background?

I just received my wi fi nook,.

The contrast between text and background makes it difficult for me to read without eye strain.

I would like to lighten the gray background. I have seen another post asking how to darken the text, which, I guess, is pointing out the same issue. B&N tech support said that the contrast/brightness cannot be changed.

Consumers Reports rated the Kindle as having a better display. I wonder if the Kindle screen's background is lighter?
rlsamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The current e-ink displays are, in my understanding, pretty much the same when it comes to the grey-ness of the background. Some may appear lighter or have darker fonts depending on the surrounding casing/grayscale level/font weight.

They do have screens with a better contrast ratio coming out but not for a bit as far as I'm aware.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
I'm pretty sure that the Kindle and the Nook use the exact same display.

However, it is possible to increase the size of the font, which will make it easier to read.

With a book open, look at the menu in the touch screen at the bottom. Tap on "Font"
Note the current text size (probably "Medium"). Tap on "Text Size"
Try tapping on "Large", "Extra Large", and "Extra extra large", while looking at the book text to see any improvement.

Last edited by nyrath; 06-30-2010 at 04:18 PM.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
most e-ink readers currently implement the same generation of e-ink technology (Vizplex), however, each manufacturer obviously implements the same technology a little differently, having seen/used/owned quite multiple e-readers, I can honestly say the nook has the best screen contrast that I have seen, closely followed by Astak Mentor Lite and Sony PRS 300. And based on what I see in target, the Kindle's screen crontrast is not as good as the nook - I don't have idea how anyone would rate Kindle's display better than the nook's. Nevertheless, the current generation of e-ink is still a little too gray on the background. To say it's paper like is more of a marketing hype than the truth, when they say "paper-like", they must have meant very old newspaper on recycled material; The cheapest paperback books still outperform the best current generation e-ink reader. Here is a side by side comparison of the screen for a real book, sony, the nook and the Kindle DX.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote