Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Will JK Rowling eventually cave and allow ebooks of the Harry Potter series?
Yes, eventually 116 65.17%
No, never 44 24.72%
Other 18 10.11%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #46
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Well I'd love the Harry Potter books in eBook format, but JK Rowling is powerful enough and rich enough to stand alone and resist calls to make them available,

And realistically I think more power to her, just as we want OUR way with eBooks, she wants her way, I admire her for sticking to what she believes despite great pressure even if it's different to our desires,

When I'm as rich and famous as her however have no fear ..... YOU will find my books available in eBOOK format, some of them free,

BUT you may have to wait a few years for me to achieve Fame and Fortune
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #47
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I think she might cave somewhere down the line, when ebooks become much more commonplace - and therefore, once readers of ebooks make up a much larger portion of her target demographic.
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 07:00 AM   #48
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
She's not having her way though, she's just losing money.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:25 AM   #49
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think she has way too much to worry.

Didn't she donate 100% of the proceeds of The Tales of Beedle the Bard to charity.

BOb
I don't know how it works in Great Britain, but in the USA I think that would have meant a hefty income tax deduction. And publicity is publicity anywhere.

Last edited by wayrad; 03-24-2010 at 07:28 AM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #50
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I don't know how it works in Great Britain, but in the USA I think that would have meant a hefty income tax deduction. And publicity is publicity anywhere.
Just... Wow.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #51
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Just... Wow.

BOb
I'm not quite sure what you mean. It's hardly news that charity is a sound policy for the very wealthy, whether or not motivated by altruistic considerations. Certainly more so than cracking down on HP-themed parties... But I'm not wedded to the idea she'll see any reason to change her mind - this is, after all, just a friendly discussion.

Last edited by wayrad; 03-24-2010 at 12:41 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #52
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It's about money with that woman. In 20 years time she will still want the big money rolling in and all the kids will be on e-books by then.

The real reason she is so scared of e-books is the piracy paranoia.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #53
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
So she makes sure that anyone who gets an ebook has a pirated version.

Brilliant!
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #54
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I know, it's ironic. She's made her stance crystal clear, yet her HP books are possibly the fastest known books that have ever been pirated into ebooks.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #55
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I hope she caves eventually, but I'm not sure she will. If she does I'll grab a set of them for future re-reading even though we already have the paper version.

I would hope that, money aside, she would want to make her books available in as many different formats as possible so it could be enjoyed by that many more people with out the having to be criminals to do it.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #56
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
J.K. Rowling; making criminals out of the reading public daily
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #57
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I'll grab a set of them
I won't.
She missed her chance to get my money for e-edition.
I already have 2.42857142857142857142857142857143 sets in paper.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #58
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
I know, it's ironic. She's made her stance crystal clear, yet her HP books are possibly the fastest known books that have ever been pirated into ebooks.
Yeah, maybe that's why She have such a hard feeling toward e-books. And i think she is among the "smell of books" people.

Quote:
It's about money with that woman.
I'm not so sure about that. She rich now, but she know what having to worry about invoices is.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #59
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
The survey should have split the "Other" category into "No Opinion" or "Who Cares?"

Rowling is not the first artist to insist on confining her books to one medium. Harold Lloyd, the famous movie actor/screenwriter/director/producer, reportedly placed a stipulation in his will and testament that his films were only to be shown to movie audiences (note the plural). His heirs interpreted this literally, and did not allow his movies to be sold in any of the future recorded formats (beta/vhs/laserdisc/dvd, etc.), for many, many years. Not until the 21st century could you buy his movies on DVD. In the 1990's, I obtained a Japanese pressed copy of one of his movies on laserdisc for $150. The story of how this came to be (i.e., available on laserdisc in Japan and not the U.S.A.) is interesting but not germane to this thread.

Thus, when you wonder, "how long, how long ? ...", be glad you can read Rowling's work in hardcover today, in the privacy of your own home. Or, just post an open letter, requesting distribution in ebook format, to Rowling and her publisher.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #60
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'm sure as soon as the first either of these things happen she will cave: a) they offer her enough money (even though she doesn't need any more), or b) print sales begin to decrease.

Personally, I'm glad her pig-headedness has caused her to lose potential sales (being totally uninterested and unimpressed by the whole Harry Potter phenomenon as I am - it's only good point is that it's gotten more kids reading). That's more money to spend on authors who embrace the new technology and who realize that both methods of publishing are not mutually exclusive.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote