Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Mnementh666
Mnementh666 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
New EZReader...

Howdy y'all...
Currently I own a PRS-505, but my wife has hijacked it.
So, I just purchased (yesterday) a new EZReader from Fry's, and I have a couple of observations/questions...

Loving the multiple formats, the available space, and the ability to install OI (these are my main reasons for purchasing the V3 instead of another 505).

Noticed a couple things in comparison:

1. Right out of the box, many PDB's were installed that are classics from Fictionwise, which is nice. But the formatting on the smallest font is weird. There is a huge margin around the right and bottom of the screen, which disappears if you zoom in one step. Is this a function of the PDB? I installed an HTML file, and it didn't do that.

2. The screen is just as nice as the 505, which is a relief.

3. Transferring files to the main memory is relatively quick (200KB/sec-ish), but going to the SD card is abysmally slow (25-50KB/sec). I don't have a card reader for my main PC (which is to be resolved shortly!), so this is a bit painful. Is that speed normal? I can't even imagine trying to install 2-300 MB's worth of books to the card w/o a card reader at this point.

4. The mobiebook.com website is... down? It redirects to astak.com, but there is (are?) no info/support/downloads on that site. How do I get the latest Astak FW, in case I don't like OI for some reason? I understand that the various FW's for all the V3's are interchangeable, but...

Meh... I think that'll cover it for right now... Now off to install OI
Mnementh666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
For PDB, yes, the Hanlin (EZ Reader) removes margins in the first zoom. I have requested that this be changed. It is similar to the idea in some other formats of page numbers but at least it reflows, unlike ePUB current. You can download the latest firmware from Hanlin and install it or you can also install BeBook firmware. Even lBook will work. Lots of things to try. I hadn't noticed the difference in speeds but then, most of the time I use a card reader for SD (they are really cheap and have lots of uses).

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Bebook's firmware is a good improvement, but my favorite fw/os is Open Inkpot version dated 5/8/2009 http://users.openinkpot.org/~lunohod/20090508/

Last edited by Frankr; 06-28-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: To Add link
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
One more thing, you likely will want to download and print out the user guide, as the menu keys will be different. http://openinkpot.org/wiki/0.2/UsersGuide

Last edited by Frankr; 06-28-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you use Calibre to convert to ePub, you can use the same files on the EZ Reader and the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Does anyone know what is better/different in the BeBook firmware?
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
The Mobiebook site was closed because their new site, goEZeBook.com is just about ready to open. This will have the download and all info on their products, including their newest one, the 5" Pocket Pro.

In the meantime, I believe the Astak.com site will have updates.

Please join the Astak thread for the latest information.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote