Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
An idea for Amazon

IIRC Amazon owns audible. I think they should give the option to pair ebooks and audiobooks. When you buy both, your kindle reader can read to you using the audiobook instead of TTS

There are several advantages for the user: 1/ you can read the text along with the audiobook (the text and audio will synch of course) This will be very useful for language learners. 2/ when you need to go back, it's much easier to visually find your place than with an audio player, where you have to guess and rewind. 3/ you can glance at the text when you miss something. This helps with unfamiliar or foreign names or words 4/ you can either listen or read, whichever is more convenient at the moment. Many people prefer to read, but they can't always do it e.g. commute.

Technically, I guess they will need to add metadata to map ebook location and time code in the audiobook. Storage space may be a problem. Audio may have to be downloaded by chunks on demand. Pricing will be tricky. Is there a demand for this? Is there enough overlap b/t readers and audiobook listeners? I don't know.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Is there a demand for this? Is there enough overlap b/t readers and audiobook listeners? I don't know.
I doubt Amazon is interested in linking the two formats; it's worth noting that the newest basic Kindle model doesn't have speakers so it can't be used for TTS or audiobooks.

Audiobooks are a small niche market and many people listen to audiobooks when driving or exercising, ie. when they can't physically read a book.

Where your idea might be useful is for language learning materials specifically, but the TTS already available probably does this well enough.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I have found in audiobooks alot of narrators improvise and do not read word for word. I have caught a couple even correcting grammar and some leaving out entire scenes! I read along with my audiobooks if I own a ebook or physical copy.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Multitasking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
...many people listen to audiobooks when driving or exercising...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
....I read along with my audiobooks if I own a ebook or physical copy.
Yipes! Hope you're not driving too!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Yipes! Hope you're not driving too!
No worries I don't drive at all. I listen to Audiobooks when my neighbors are being annoying which is about every day. It saves me from banging on the wall or pulling my hair out.

Today is my Audible credit day! I just love how they send you a email telling you that.
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I think this is a great idea! I think it would be especially nice with children's books (in this case a cool feature for the Kindle Fire). I used to listen to books on tape all the time as a kid.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
This would be extremely useful for language learners. I'm sure I'd use it in that way.

Of course, it doesn't have to depend on Audible. It would be open to any enterprising firm to seek a deal with a book publisher, to produce an audio version designed especially for the language learning market. There would be lots of advantages.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I like the idea. It'd be a nifty little option for people who are into both text and audio books.

And, for language learning, this would be great.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
lazy people

still, it's invariably the future: AIs reading and writing for you, thus allowing very low-bandwidth communication and at the same time comfort for the analphabet population.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
lazy people

still, it's invariably the future: AIs reading and writing for you, thus allowing very low-bandwidth communication and at the same time comfort for the analphabet population.
Especially when you type with your low-dexterity thumbs. Sadly, I hear voices in my head when I read, which really limits my bandwidth even for text. I *can* speed-read, but I have always found it to be very unpleasant. I like to daydream and explore the virtual environment inside my head while I read. Low bandwidth, but more "rich".

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-28-2012 at 05:52 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
And it's now reality!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
dah dah *does fanfare noise*
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Not really a fan of audio books.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Not really a fan of audio books.
I use to think that till I tried a few now I am hooked but I can't see using a tablet to listen to them though. I prefer fiction books narrated by voice actors not just read out loud by some famous person.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Man does Barty get the best customer service OR WHAT?????

It's like he had a direct line to Bezos.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote