Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Waclaw
Waclaw began at the beginning.

Device: psp2000
Need advice

I like reading digital books and I mean I like reading alot of digital books but my problem is that reading books from my PC screen is seriously killing my eyes.

Does anyone have any experience of those hardware digital book reader devices that you can read a book outside or in bed?
I have a lot of PDF books (and some Compiled HTM) so the device should be able to not just only be able to read MS reader format books but other ebook formats as well.
Also does someone know if you can read books without direct sunlight affecting the devices' screen?

Thanks
Waclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
Professor
Enthusiast
Professor began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Hello Waclaw, I had the same situation as you since I bacame a lecturer in university. So Hanlin V3 is the best selection in my opinion, which I have got one. It is very powerful in format/language support. Thanks!
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Be sure to check out the Dedicated eBook Devices wiki. It provides some valuable information, including which file formats each device recognizes.

I have a Sony 505 and take it everywhere. I haven't done much reading outdoors but I use it nightly to read in bed.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waclaw View Post
I like reading digital books and I mean I like reading alot of digital books but my problem is that reading books from my PC screen is seriously killing my eyes.

Does anyone have any experience of those hardware digital book reader devices that you can read a book outside or in bed?
I have a lot of PDF books (and some Compiled HTM) so the device should be able to not just only be able to read MS reader format books but other ebook formats as well.
Also does someone know if you can read books without direct sunlight affecting the devices' screen?

Thanks
I have the Kindle. Reading outdoors is not problem, even in bright sunlight because of the eink display. Reading in bed, you need auxillary light because it is not backlit. If you want to read in the dark, you will need a book light - several are recommended on this site.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waclaw View Post
No EInk device is able to directly read Secure LIT (MS Reader) ebooks, but they are easily converted to other formats. There have been problems with CHM, because these can be very long technical documents, but in principle these can be converted to an ebook format too. PDFs formated for A4/letter sized pages are problematic on a 6" EInk screen, and there are multiple threads on this issue in the Forum. If some of your PDFs are Secure Adobe ebooks, then only the Sony PRS-505 will be able to read these.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I have a Sony 505 and have read on it outside and it seems fine, just like a pBook would.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
reading on my computer gives me fierce eyestrain. that's the reason i got my cybook - now i can read for hours without swollen red eyes
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
maj0rglitch
maj0rglitch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I just bought a Sony 505 last week. I needed a reader that can accept PDF, I hated reading tech docs on my laptop. At first I thought this is dumb you can hardly see the text on the pdf. Then I tried the reflow I thought it would just magnify the pdf but actually it does something else, it will strip out the images and restructure the text. That is not what I expected. Then I read here to try and change the orientation and I did. It made the pdf readable although the font size might be equivalent to a size 8 or 9 points.

Another great thing that I just found out last night the library offers ebooks that can be downloaded to the reader for a limited time (21 days). Free ebooks to read!!!
maj0rglitch is offline   Reply With Quote