Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The most unexpurgated Anne Frank?

Hi,
I'm looking for recommendations for an unexpurgated version of Anne Frank's Diary. I'm thinking of buying this in paperback, rather than ebook, as it's one of the few which I'd prefer in this form.

I'm confused by all the different versions on Amazon UK, and I can't decide which is the most complete.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
This from U.S. Amazon. It seems to be the most comprehensive, but it's pretty expensive:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Diary-Anne.../dp/0385508476
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
But what about this one, published in 2011:

http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Young-Gi...3495465&sr=1-3

I believe this is the one that contains the passages that her father wanted censored originally?
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

jgaiser, thanks for the link, I managed to find the equivalent on the UK site, but it was horrendously expensive and seems geared more towards scholars. I'm not sure I want all three versions (the original, Anne's own edit when she heard that experiences of the war were being sought, and Otto's very highly edited version, with all the stuff about her emerging womanhood and her feelings towards the others in the annexe removed). Either the original or Anne's own edit would be fine.

elemenOP is this the same version? I know the translation is more British, but I'm not sure if it's otherwise the same book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Diary-Yo...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'm not sure I want all three versions (the original, Anne's own edit when she heard that experiences of the war were being sought...Either the original or Anne's own edit would be fine.
Um, I don't think there's an "Anne's own edit" - she died before the war was over in a concentration camp. (Unless I'm misunderstanding you.)
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
Um, I don't think there's an "Anne's own edit" - she died before the war was over in a concentration camp. (Unless I'm misunderstanding you.)
Anne was revising her diary while still in hiding, with an eye toward post-war publication. That's "Anne's edit."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Anne was revising her diary while still in hiding, with an eye toward post-war publication. That's "Anne's edit."
Ah! Thanks for clarifying that.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J

JoelArnold, if I remember correctly (from Amazon or Wikipedia), she heard on the radio that some organisation was seeking the experiences of people during the war. With this in mind, Anne edited her diary while in hiding for publication after the war.

issybird put this so much more succintly.

Any feedback on the [/url]"] http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diary-Young-...nitive+edition [/URL]
link? Is it essently the same as that on Amazon US, but with a more British translation? (biscuits instead of cookies etc). I hope that the link works.

Thanks.

Last edited by BookCat; 07-13-2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Link amended.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Any feedback on the http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Diary-Yo...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
link? Is it essently the same as that on Amazon US, but with a more British translation? (biscuits instead of cookies etc). I hope that the link works.

Thanks.
I can't say I know it's the same version or not, but one of the commenters specifically complained that it used American English/idioms...and had a small rant about American culture taking over the world.

So I'm not sure it has a "more British translation".
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J

After much research, I've discovered that the Americanisms crept in with Susan Massotty's translation. Amazon actually show, in their Look Inside feature, the 1993 version, which is not the one you receive if you order. If you order, you get a 2007 edition.

I've emailed Amazon to see if they sell the 1993 as a definitive version.

I await their response.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Bookcat: your link didn't work for me, but I would check if it was published in 2011 or 2012. The unexpurgated version was published in 2011 in the US.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J

I've amended the link. The version was published in 2007, I think.

Tags
anne frank, complete, diary