Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
best ereader for my needs

I currently have an Acer Iconia 500w tablet. However, I have a few problems with it, including that it barely fits into my purse.

The things I need are:
1. Be able to read epub and PDFs (I like to read my text books wherever I go as well as the fanfics I've downloaded and converted to epub)
2. Be able to take SD cards (I currently have a couple SD cards that are 32 gig. I use calibre to sort my epubs and want to be able to have all those stories available.)
3. have a long battery life. (I use my tablet when I go on the bus. For one doctor, I probably use my tablet to read for 5-7 hours, but I'm always afraid I'll run out of battery life.)
4. Can be read easily in outside lighting. (Whenever I first try to read outside, I have trouble seeing the screen)
5. I would like a bigger size screen but that is not the main thing I am looking for. It must also be smaller than the tablet I currently have. (My tablet says it is 10.1, but it is a little bigger than other products that say the same thing. my purse is not supposed to be bigger than 8.5 x 11 or I can't take it into my seasonal work.)
6. One concern I have is how good it is in the heat. I live in Arizona and it can get pretty hot.

Wifi is not a necessary thing as most of the places I will use it will not have any wifi. I need something that I can access all my stories without going online.

I currently use a SD card and switch between calibre on my desktop and calibre on my tablet.

Any suggestions?
Jade Aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Well ... it looks like a Sony ereader fits the bill. But keep in mind PDF is not an ebook format so it may not render well or you may have to zoom in or out depending of the book itself.

In terms of resisting high temperatures, unless you are not leaving it inside a car the whole day, most eink readers do well outside. I bring my Kindle to the beach here in Texas where is hot as hell, lol, with no issues at all.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
i suggest you take kindle touch.it doesn't have epub support as it is but after rooting it has epub support using hacked up reader or duokan ,has cover-view,best pdf rendering n a 6 inch device and a ton more features using jbpatch.rooting is easy and after doing it everything is a breeze.rooted kindle touch can play video,record audio using the built in microphone and much more....
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please take a the time to read the innumerable threads about PDFs on this forum. Summary: NO 6" reader will allow you to read PDFs in a satisfactory manner, especially ones with complex formatting such as textbooks generally have. You need a 10" tablet for PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
@HarryT I thought that the main problem with 6 inch ereader is that they put a huge margin around pdf files which makes text small and difficult to read.but for rooted kindle touches there is an app called JBPATCH-here is the link of forums:http://https://www.mobileread.com/for...d.php?t=175512 and here is the link for the wiki:wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JBPatch.go to page 9 of the forums link and scroll down to see the effects it has on pdf files.this app allows you to delete those margins,thus making the text,bigger,easier to read and thus providing a marginally better pdf reading experience than other 6 inch ereader which have zoom and a pdf-rearrange function which messes up everything.a rooted kindle touch can handle upto A4 size pdfs without margins easily.please check out the links and page nos i have given you if you dont believe me.here is the link where the margins patch post is.please check the screen shots carefully:http://https://www.mobileread.com/for...&postcount=123
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
@HarryT I thought that the main problem with 6 inch ereader is that they put a huge margin around pdf files which makes text small and difficult to read.but for rooted kindle touches there is an app called JBPATCH-here is the link of forums:http://https://www.mobileread.com/for...d.php?t=175512 and here is the link for the wiki:wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JBPatch.go to page 9 of the forums link and scroll down to see the effects it has on pdf files.this app allows you to delete those margins,thus making the text,bigger,easier to read and thus providing a marginally better pdf reading experience than other 6 inch ereader which have zoom and a pdf-rearrange function which messes up everything.a rooted kindle touch can handle upto A4 size pdfs without margins easily.please check out the links and page nos i have given you if you dont believe me.here is the link where the margins patch post is.please check the screen shots carefully:http://https://www.mobileread.com/for...&postcount=123
It's not only about the margins.

Even on my old Kindle DXG, which I sold already, some PDFs did not look good. The ereader was not able to analyze the document well and the images look out of place or position.

Moving back and forth is also a pain. So if you are reading a technical book, like MS-SQL for example, you need to jump from chapter 1 to chapter 10 and go back again, it's a painful experience. Try that several times and then let me know.

I mainly read computer books. So this "issue" is (or should I say, was) very common to me. I solved using an iPad and GoodReader app. It is fast, allows annotations, and renders very well.

My Kindle Touch is ok for most PDF, but I must use it on landscape and it is very slow comparing to a tablet.

Last edited by jocampo; 08-05-2012 at 04:33 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please take a the time to read the innumerable threads about PDFs on this forum. Summary: NO 6" reader will allow you to read PDFs in a satisfactory manner, especially ones with complex formatting such as textbooks generally have. You need a 10" tablet for PDFs.
I have an Ipaq 211 that I don't use because I can't read the PDFs on it. I had to scroll from side to side to read each line. I knew that I will be looking for a larger screen. I just wasn't sure how large it needed to be. The screen I use now is a little bigger than 10.1". Even going down to 10" would probably fit into my purse/bag more easily than the one I have now.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Aislin View Post
I have an Ipaq 211 that I don't use because I can't read the PDFs on it. I had to scroll from side to side to read each line. I knew that I will be looking for a larger screen. I just wasn't sure how large it needed to be. The screen I use now is a little bigger than 10.1". Even going down to 10" would probably fit into my purse/bag more easily than the one I have now.
Most people would recommend the iPad as the best PDF reader you can get (and I wholeheartedly agree). It stands head and shoulders above everything else. The "Goodreader" app is superb for reading and annotating PDFs.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Seems I have my facts wrong, post deleted for that reason.

Last edited by jbcohen; 08-07-2012 at 02:41 PM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Ido have an ipad at home, had to buy it for my son's education. The propretary aspect will force you to pay more for your books then you would from other makers. I do understand that the kindle is somewhat propretary since a kindle supports its own formats not the standards, however the kindle format is not a proprietary format at all, anyone who so desires to sell books in kindle format can offer books in kindle format - nothing proprietary there. Ipad books will need to come from apple since they are proprietary. Appl - Propretary - bad - Kindle, anyone can convert to kindle format - good.
I'm sorry, but this is completely incorrect.

Firstly, you can read books from Amazon, B&N, Kobo, etc, on an iPad. Just install the Kindle app, B&N app, Kobo app, etc, on the iPad.

Secondly, even if you choose to use Apple's own "iBooks" app, it supports the industry-standard ePub format, and will read any DRM-free ePub book.

Thirdly, the Kindle format most assuredly IS proprietary.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-07-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sorry, but this is completely incorrect.

Firstly, you can read books from Amazon, B&N, Kobo, etc, on an iPad. Just install the Kindle app, B&N app, Kobo app, etc, on the iPad.

Secondly, even if you choose to use Apple's own "iBooks" app, it supports the industry-standard ePub format, and will read any DRM-free ePub book.

Thirdly, the Kindle format most assuredly IS proprietary.
iBooks is not quite standard. There are a lot of gotchas with it. But, there is Bluefire Reader that does support ePub using ADE. So that will do where iBooks won't.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
iBooks is not quite standard. There are a lot of gotchas with it. But, there is Bluefire Reader that does support ePub using ADE. So that will do where iBooks won't.
Exactly - that's my point. To say that an iPad restricts your choice of books, or means that you have to pay more for your books, is just plain WRONG.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
Jade Aislin
Groupie

I bought the PRS-T1, but I'm not sure how well it will work. I only put 6,500 stories (which is a small portion of the stories I want to carry), but it seems to take forever to do anything, from opening books to searching the collections (which is a little messy right now). I'm working on a way to sort collections to make it easier for me to search. However, it seems like the T1 does not allow for hierarchical collections.

Is there any ereader that allows you to create collections in a hierarchical sorting. I'd like to search for a story by sorting through large categories (Fandom, Genre) and then go through more specific categories (Adventure, Fantasy) until I find a story I want to read. Also, how does the ereader handle large groups of stories? Does having a large amount of stories slow the ereader down?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Aislin View Post
I bought the PRS-T1, but I'm not sure how well it will work. I only put 6,500 stories (which is a small portion of the stories I want to carry), but it seems to take forever to do anything, from opening books to searching the collections (which is a little messy right now). I'm working on a way to sort collections to make it easier for me to search. However, it seems like the T1 does not allow for hierarchical collections.

Is there any ereader that allows you to create collections in a hierarchical sorting. I'd like to search for a story by sorting through large categories (Fandom, Genre) and then go through more specific categories (Adventure, Fantasy) until I find a story I want to read. Also, how does the ereader handle large groups of stories? Does having a large amount of stories slow the ereader down?
Try going on the Sony threads for answers to your questions... I've seen posts about each of those topics on there.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The T1 supports only single level collections. As far as managing them, delete all your books and put them back in via Calibre. It will be a lot less hassle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote