Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
rutgurt
Enthusiast
rutgurt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle Fire same as Kindle ebooks on Android devices?

I want to know if the Kindle ebook software is enhanced on the Fire, or if its exactly the same as using the Kindle for Android reading software on other devices?

Also, does reading Ebooks have a more "native" and "integrated" reading experience on the Fire, rather than feeling like im opening a special application for Ebooks (ie the Kindle for Android app on other devices)

Thirdly, does the Kindle Fire ebook reading software have all the same features as the Kindle Touch ebook reading software, including the "x-ray" feature?

Last edited by rutgurt; 11-18-2011 at 09:28 AM.
rutgurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

No, it is a different app altogether. Here is a good thread where this is discussed.

Not sure what you are asking on the second question.

The third question: The K Touch has X-Ray feature but the KFire does not. However, the KFire has features and formatting capability the Touch doesn't--landscape reading mode for example.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-18-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgurt View Post
I want to know if the Kindle ebook software is enhanced on the Fire, or if its exactly the same as using the Kindle for Android reading software on other devices?
I haven't used the Android Kindle app but I assume it's the same as the iOS Kindle app. The experience is very similar, but the Fire is just a little better. The Fire has eight font choices (vs one on the iOS Kindle app) and I think also has more font sizes. That's something that might come to the app though.

Quote:
Also, does reading Ebooks have a more "native" and "integrated" reading experience on the Fire, rather than feeling like im opening a special application for Ebooks (ie the Kindle for Android app on other devices)
It feels more integrated in two ways; first on the home screen, where recently read or downloaded books appear in line with other recently used applications or documents. It's actually kinda nice, especially if you're switching between a few different books at a time.

Where it feels most integrated though is the connection to the Amazon book store. It's a really great Store experience, and it's really easy to browse for books, see similar books to the one you're reading, etc. Overall I'd say this is my favorite part of the Fire reading experience. Now once again, I come from the iOS world where Apple didn't let Amazon integrate their app with the store, so that may be something the Android Kindle app already had, but it's certainly welcome to me.

Quote:
Thirdly, does the Kindle Fire ebook reading software have all the same features as the Kindle Touch ebook reading software, including the "x-ray" feature?
As far as I can tell, there is no X-Ray on the Fire. Maybe it's only a feature with some books, but I can't find any reference to it in the menu or pop-up menu on the reader app. You can still look up definitions, get the wikipedia entry on a word, etc but no X-Ray.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
It is different - visually it is nicer, but both get the job done. Dictionary lookup is still hardcoded to Oxford English though. See detailed review here
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
rutgurt
Enthusiast
rutgurt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok, so the Kindle Fire does not have the X-ray feature that the Kindle Touch has, and to me that is kind of disappointing. As far as reading ebooks goes, what else does the Kindle Touch do that the Kindle Fire can't do (besides the obvious, ie pixel ink, etc.)
rutgurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Ok, so the Kindle Fire does not have the X-ray feature that the Kindle Touch has, and to me that is kind of disappointing. As far as reading ebooks goes, what else does the Kindle Touch do that the Kindle Fire can't do (besides the obvious, ie pixel ink, etc.)
It has the Personal Documents Cloud. The Fire doesn't have this feature. Topaz books also look decent on the Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

You can post quotations from books to Facebook and Twitter with the Touch, but the Fire does not have this feature.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Fire great for the Tecarta Bibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The third question: The K Touch has X-Ray feature but the KFire does not. However, the KFire has features and formatting capability the Touch doesn't--landscape reading mode for example.
In landscape mode on the Fire, one can display two Tecarta bibles at once or one bible and the NIV Study Bible Notes as well.

In the 3rd Generation Kindle Kbd that is not possible with the Oanova and Crossway Bibles.

However, page turning on the 3rd Gen Kindle Kbd is more accurate than on the Fire.

I plan to use both eReaders on an alternating basis, thus, doubling battery life on both.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote