Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
legaleagll
legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 505
Newspapers Available

I recently purchased the PRS-505 from Borders last week (manager gave me 15% off too, although I'm not sure he was supposed to) and have been very happy with it so far. I am an avid reader and expect I will get much use out of it.

After using it for a few days, I thought how wonderful it would be if I could download news articles onto it and use it rather than the cumbersome physical paper. I tried Feedbooks rss aggregator, but I was very disappointed in the outcome. Not that Feedbooks doesn't work as advertised, it does, but rather the smidgen of an article that comes with the rss feeds is just not enought to be meaningful. Its enough for me to know whether I want to click through and read the article if I were online, but not as the only content available.

I did a number of searches through the mobileread forums and found a number of discussions dating back to 2004 regarding various attempts at getting a full newspaper onto the reader. Everything I found, save for one French newspaper, required multiple steps to accomplish what is admittedly a pretty cruddy result (poorly formatted, etc...).

With the most recent discussions being a couple of months ago, I wondered two things:

1. Has anyone had more success in finding an easy way to convert a major news publication into a format readable on the Sony reader. (When I say easy, I mean not requiring more than 2 or 3 steps.)

2. Are there any major or minor english language newspapers that provide an already formatted (subscription or free) paper that can be read in on the Sony reader.

Legaleagll
legaleagll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look at the thread web2lrf in the content section. Note that you'll have to wait for the next release (0.4.17) of libprs500 for web2lrf to work on windows.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 11-01-2007 at 03:49 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert