Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #91
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool oh well...

last night, after i finished grave peril, i started my re-read of summer knight. however i was too drowsy to get very far and my bedtime took precedence over the read. oh well....
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #92
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
Let us not forget the brilliant Farscape, cut down in its prime as well.
Yes, that was another good one cancelled too soon. I really need to sit down and watch it all the way through on Netflix.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #93
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Why I don't read them

I picked up on this series pretty early.

And I enjoyed the books, until I got to one that described Wrigley Field as if it were in the suburbs - stadium in the middle of a parking lot sea.

Well, it ain't. Wrigley is smack dab in the city. Sidewalks and streets on all four sides. A small parking area for ballplayers & management.

Even a Sox fan would know better.

Anyway, that ruined the books for me. Chicago is not a fictional localilty, and it shouldn't take much effort to get the facts right.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #94
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
And I enjoyed the books, until I got to one that described Wrigley Field as if it were in the suburbs - stadium in the middle of a parking lot sea.
That's in one of the shorts isn't it?

Personally I really like the series, one of the few cases where I really anticipate the release of the next book.

As to the Wizards vs. Tech thing.

There does seem to be a few minor inconsistencies when it comes to what does and doesn't work but mostly it works quite well for me.

I think some of that is explained in later books and at least one of the shorts, but most of what we know comes from Word of Jims (questions answered by Jim during Interviews or book signings) so I'll put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler:
- Only mortal magic users affect tech that way, Faeries and other supernatural beings don't have those problems. Apparently that's because humans are conflicted beings (due to having free will?) and are always "leaking" part of their magic.
- It's not equally bad for every magic user. Generally the more power someone has the more problems he/she has with modern devices. Harry is therefore an especially bad case.
- More complex things are more likely to fail, (micro)electronics are the worst.
- The mood of the wizard affects this. Angry Harry -> fried electronics
- It is somewhat possible to control it. You can suppress it, for some time at least, and it seems pretty easy to amplify it.
- It wasn't always like it is now. In "ye olde times" wizards made milk go sour for example.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #95
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
As to the Wizards vs. Tech thing.

There does seem to be a few minor inconsistencies when it comes to what does and doesn't work but mostly it works quite well for me.

I think some of that is explained in later books and at least one of the shorts, but most of what we know comes from Word of Jims (questions answered by Jim during Interviews or book signings) so I'll put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler:
- Only mortal magic users affect tech that way, Faeries and other supernatural beings don't have those problems. Apparently that's because humans are conflicted beings (due to having free will?) and are always "leaking" part of their magic.
- It's not equally bad for every magic user. Generally the more power someone has the more problems he/she has with modern devices. Harry is therefore an especially bad case.
- More complex things are more likely to fail, (micro)electronics are the worst.
- The mood of the wizard affects this. Angry Harry -> fried electronics
- It is somewhat possible to control it. You can suppress it, for some time at least, and it seems pretty easy to amplify it.
- It wasn't always like it is now. In "ye olde times" wizards made milk go sour for example.
Thank you for posting that. I can move past it now... and accept it for what it is -> Angry Powerful Harry = Boom!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #96
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Finished "Grave Peril" this evening. The last few chapters were hard to put down. I've got a long list of TBRs and Harry will have to wait a while before I start "Summer Knight".
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #97
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Finished "Grave Peril" this evening. The last few chapters were hard to put down. I've got a long list of TBRs and Harry will have to wait a while before I start "Summer Knight".
That seems to be the way of the series...The first part is the set up and then suddenly you're in nonstop action mode, with no natural stopping point. It makes for fun but long reading sessions.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #98
Nyssa
Series Addict

Random Comment:

Way down towards the end of her interview, Charlaine Harris mentions being a fan of Jim Butcher, among others.

Quote:
Q.
Favorite Authors
Can you recommend any authors or favorite books?

A.
Charlaine Harris :

Absolutely, and let me say here that I do review books I've enjoyed on my Book & Blog feature on my website. I always read any Lee Child novel: and the list just goes on. I think Harry Connelly is very interesting, and I think Tanya Huff is great. Jeanne Stein, Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs . . . I could go on forever.
– September 07, 2011 1:07 PM
Old 09-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #99
Spacechik
Enthusiast
Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3g WiFi

nnnnn

Last edited by Spacechik; 09-25-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: i want to delete it
Spacechik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #100
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool huh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacechik View Post
OH, ABSOLUTELY!!! Mine too. He's so sexy with that blonde hair!!
i have no idea what you're talking about. of course that's one of the things that the quoting function is for.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:06 AM   #101
Spacechik
Enthusiast
Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3g WiFi
good grief

i was 'quick replying' to another post and the post ended up at the end of the list. which makes no sense. then i tried to delete. won't let me delete. sorry for the post.
Spacechik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #102
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

enjoy

Quote:
i was 'quick replying' to another post and the post ended up at the end of the list. which makes no sense. then i tried to delete. won't let me delete. sorry for the post.
that's how it works with the software used here in mobilreread. the latest (last) post is placed at the end. and you can edit your post and remove all content or change it in some way, but a moderator (i'm not one) must delete it. enjoy
Old 09-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #103
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
I would suggest that next time you quote the post to which you are replying; that way there will be less chance of confusion.

More than one moderator has said that they do not really like deleting posts. You can click on the "exclamation point" of your own post, however, and make a formal request. They might delete it.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:34 AM   #104
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool almost done...

right now i'm reading the last battle in summer knight, i'll start death masks tomorrow
Old 09-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #105
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

there's one pigeon-latin term/phrase (whatever you call it) that harry uses to invoke a spell that never ceases to start me chuckling.

flickum bicus

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy