Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
E-Ink and Epson working on a 300ppi e-ink screen!

Good news everyone! There just might be a gust of wind left in the sails of e-Ink tech:

Quote:
E Ink will be in charge of producing the sharp-looking 9.68-inch 2,400 x 1,650 display panel, whereas Epson will take care of the high-speed display controller platform to go with E Ink's part.
But just as I got all excited:

Quote:
No availability has been announced just yet, ...
Engadget is covering the event, hopefuly they'll have some more info in the next day or two.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It is exciting! Thanks for sharing!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
This will help further Amazons thrust for world dominata--ugh--producing a great e-reader.

RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
E-Ink is far from dead. It just can't command high prices, anymore. After a 3 month experiment of reading on high quality LCD's only I finally pulled my trusted Irex out again. And it does feel like relief for my eyes to look at an e-ink screen again. So in the end convenience lost out for me.

For books it is e-ink for me from now on, when I have the choice (sometimes I only have my phone with me). For the newspapers connectivity is a problem, so a computer/tablet is still the better way. Besides, speed is much more important.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I would like one
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Good to see technology advance but I don't know that the average person is screaming for more dpi from eInk. Personally I've moved on from an eInk device because I find it too limiting. I want color, video, and better interaction with the screen but I don't want to carry multiple devices. EInk is certainly very cool for very specific applications but it's also quite limiting.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
Good to see technology advance but I don't know that the average person is screaming for more dpi from eInk. Personally I've moved on from an eInk device because I find it too limiting. I want color, video, and better interaction with the screen but I don't want to carry multiple devices. EInk is certainly very cool for very specific applications but it's also quite limiting.
I'd like a few more DPI's. Some of the books are still scanned as PDF image files unfortunately, they need all the help they can get in DPI realm. I suppose I'm not average then, good to know
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
We all make our own choices, and yours is a valid one.
I am on the other side of the user spectrum to yourself (in total agreement with Hans's post before).
I love reading, I love quality. E-ink screens (especially Perl) deliver that experience for me. I won't watch movies on it, or play video games, or browse the internet. I just want to read. And for this, I'm happy to pay.
Higher resolution and better contrast can only be a good thing IMO.

I only hope there's enough of us out there to keep the E-Ink industry going as a sustainable business.

Last edited by m-reader; 05-17-2011 at 12:06 PM.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Considering the size of the screen, I'd say that it would be a great thing for those of us who are interested in reading pdf files without zooming in.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
WTF - want to have one, only bigger (14").

Last edited by joblack; 05-17-2011 at 12:41 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
WTF - want to have one, only bigger (14").
Yes, please.

I'd even settle for slightly lower dpi in order to have a larger size. I want it for sheet music, and reading from a distance of about 3 to 5 feet, the lower dpi wouldn't matter so much.

That said, this is awesome news. Just saw the Engadget post myself and stopped by here to see if someone had posted it yet. I'd certainly buy this Epson today if it were available.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Good to see technology advance but I don't know that the average person is screaming for more dpi from eInk.
I know I'm not-- I think by the time it has reached 200dpi (as with the 5 inch screens) for greyscale, cramming in more pixels has already hit the law of diminishing returns. The only way higher dpi interests me is a base for sticking a red/green/blue/clear color filter grid on top of for a color display.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I just want to read. And for this, I'm happy to pay.
Higher resolution and better contrast can only be a good thing IMO.
I agree if all you want to do is read text then eInk is a great choice. For reading text though is better res than the current Kindle going to make much difference? Text on it looks pretty darn good already. If you have a bad scan then it's the scan not the display that is the issue. My point is that better res and contrast are fine but they are not really addressing the shortcomings of eInk and I'm not sure that it will really have much impact. I've never heard a Kindle owner say "gee if only the text were crisper" for example. What real world impact will these improvements provide?
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
I agree if all you want to do is read text then eInk is a great choice. For reading text though is better res than the current Kindle going to make much difference?
A little bit, yes.

They're still working on color eInk, and epapers are likely to have a lead in terms of power consumption for a long, long time.

That said, as usual I don't see much reason to proclaim eInk as "dead," nor to get terribly excited about this until it's actually shipping.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote