Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
DaveKen
DaveKen began at the beginning.

Device: None
EZReader/Ubuntu

I am about to take the plunge and buy a Pocket Pro. I use Ubuntu exclusively on my computers. Should I envisage any problems transferring material across to the EZreader.
DaveKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
If you can use card reades (SD/SDHC) in Ubuntu you can use that method to transfer files, i dont know if it would work on USB mode.
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Thumbs up Ubuntu rules

The EZReader case even matches the Jaunty default desktop.

Actually, I have had Less trouble transfering files the Ubuntu way.
Be absolutly sure to Unmount both volumes (counts the SD card) before detaching the cable.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
DaveKen
DaveKen began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for info. I had no problem "drag and drop" to Kindle so I thought this would also work.
DaveKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If you are going to be buying DRMd EPub or PDF, you may have a problem. I recall reading that ADE only runs on Windows and Apple; I may be wrong.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If you are going to be buying DRMd EPub or PDF, you may have a problem. I recall reading that ADE only runs on Windows and Apple; I may be wrong.
Anyone know if it will run under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu)?
Another reason to buy Baen Webscriptions , No DRM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
sounds like it's not necessarily simple. Here's a link to someone's experiences that may be applicable...

Bebook Forum
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlac View Post
Here's a link to someone's experiences that may be applicable...

Bebook Forum
This is actually better than I expected. What I had seen previously is that you need a Windows or Mac PC to authorize the EZ Reader for Adobe, but this post seems to be providing an alternative even for that step.

You also need Desktop ADE to download Adobe PDF/EPub ebooks, but Wine+ADE seems to work for that. Once you have them on your Linux PC, just copy them over via USB (there is no need to use desktop ADE for this step).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKen View Post
I am about to take the plunge and buy a Pocket Pro. I use Ubuntu exclusively on my computers. Should I envisage any problems transferring material across to the EZreader.
Calibre works great on Ubuntu and Ubuntu clones - lime my favourite Mint Linux
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Anyone know if it will run under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu)?
According to the Wine Application Database ADE works under Wine. If you cant get it working there you could always run it in a virtual machine (for instance VMware).
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4- View Post
According to the Wine Application Database ADE works under Wine. If you cant get it working there you could always run it in a virtual machine (for instance VMware).
though for that you would have to buy a windows license, and I think it is one of the last things you would like to do if you exclusively use linux
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote