Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Potential cat problem

I have a problem. Correction - will have a problem. With cats...

We are moving to a new house soon. I want to get a couple of cats. Small, furry ones. And a house have motion-detection alarm system. See my problem? When I go to work (or go to sleep) and arm the system cats will trigger alarm. I'm bummed... Keeping cats outside all the time is out of question and having a house and no cats... bleh.

Help? Anyone?

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Wierd, our alarmsystem is "pet-safe". i.e. the detectors doesnt trigger unless weight of the moving object is over some limit.

In our case though, that is useless, since I think it's at something like 30-40 pounds. And with 2x100+ pound goggies... well.

But then, we seldom leave them home alone so itäs not really a problem
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
get rid of the alarm system ? keep it, just don't turn it on ?

i have a friend whose parents had an alarm system like that, once a spider made a nest in one of the sensors and it went off in the middle of the night and woke everyone up. (further proof that spiders are evil). (actually, once i was spending the weekend there and didn't know about the alarm, and got up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water, and his mother heard me in the kitchen and came running down the stairs to turn off the alarm before it went off and scared me half to death).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Wierd, our alarmsystem is "pet-safe". i.e. the detectors doesnt trigger unless weight of the moving object is over some limit.

In our case though, that is useless, since I think it's at something like 30-40 pounds. And with 2x100+ pound goggies... well.

But then, we seldom leave them home alone so itäs not really a problem
ah, a weight limit ! that seems like a better suggestion than mine.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:

Dogs are ok, but you do need something that will detect cat burglars.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
:groan: (although, my little cat was a real kleptomaniac in her youth, anything she could carry she would run off with. depending on the size of the loot she would "hide" it either in one of my shoes or in the bathtub. so cat burglars are definitely something you need to look out for !)
Old 09-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
*groan*
Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i have a friend whose parents had an alarm system like that, once a spider made a nest in one of the sensors and it went off in the middle of the night and woke everyone up. (further proof that spiders are evil). (actually, once i was spending the weekend there and didn't know about the alarm, and got up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water, and his mother heard me in the kitchen and came running down the stairs to turn off the alarm before it went off and scared me half to death).
We had something like that too, when I still lived at home. We couldn't figure out why the alarm went off in the middle of the night, sometimes. Not always. So, my parents called the maintenance guys. And they found out an earwig had crawled inside the detector. And every now and again he would try to climb out, triggering the movement alarm

As answer to the original question: do all rooms have an alarm in them, or is it only in certain rooms and hallways?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
We had something like that too, when I still lived at home. We couldn't figure out why the alarm went off in the middle of the night, sometimes. Not always. So, my parents called the maintenance guys. And they found out an earwig had crawled inside the detector. And every now and again he would try to climb out, triggering the movement alarm

As answer to the original question: do all rooms have an alarm in them, or is it only in certain rooms and hallways?
Eeew... earwig's I hate those! They are icky and loathsome! Only here they are called "Tvestjärt", which roughly translated to english would become "two butts". Name coming from their two pincers in the back.

And all of a sudden the lounge got filled with interest-smurfs!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Eeew... earwig's I hate those! They are icky and loathsome! Only here they are called "Tvestjärt", which roughly translated to english would become "two butts". Name coming from their two pincers in the back.

In Dutch: oorworm (which translates to ear wurm)
Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
ugh, earwigs !! :shudder: i hate them too, passionately !!! in french they are called "pince-oreille" because supposedly they like to pinch your ears they are truly the stuff of nightmares, possibly worse than spiders.

Quote:
Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
ugh, earwigs !! :shudder: i hate them too, passionately !!! in french they are called "pince-oreille" because supposedly they like to pinch your ears they are truly the stuff of nightmares, possibly worse than spiders.
Why do you think they are called earwurms in Dutch?

Quote:
butts were mentioned...
Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:

It's an expression we have here in Sweden, if someone tells you something of little or no interest what so ever, you point that out by exlaiming.

"Oh wow, where did all the interest smurfs come from" (only we say it in swedish) "Vart kom alla intresse smurfarna från"

Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
It's an expression we have here in Sweden, if someone tells you something of little or no interest what so ever, you point that out by exlaiming.

"Oh wow, where did all the interest smurfs come from" (only we say itin swedish) "Vart kom alla intresse smurfarna från"

Old 09-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Silly European earwigs.. what a pest!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote