Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #61
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsondm2 View Post
It is working fine, kinda, every other image is a blank screen. Did I do something wrong?
Dwayne, is there something different about those images or their filenames than the ones that work? I'm unable to duplicate the problem.

Did you change any of the images after you had applied the update? If so did you remember to reset your kindle (hold slider for 15+ seconds)?

If you're still having problems can you maybe zip up the files (if they're not too personal) and PM or email them to me so I can try to recreate the problem?

Thanks,
Dave
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #62
wilsondm2
wilsondm2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Dwayne, is there something different about those images or their filenames than the ones that work? I'm unable to duplicate the problem.

Did you change any of the images after you had applied the update? If so did you remember to reset your kindle (hold slider for 15+ seconds)?

If you're still having problems can you maybe zip up the files (if they're not too personal) and PM or email them to me so I can try to recreate the problem?

Thanks,
Dave
Maybe I wasn't clear. I put 4 images in the screen_saver folder in the system directory. ran the update and it restarted.

then it shows blank screen, pic1, blank screen, pic2, blank screen, pic3, etc. Like its skipping a load of a pic, but clearing the screen.

thanks for all your help!
wilsondm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #63
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Yes, another unhelpful "me, too". I only have 2 pics, and both of them get shown, but with blank screens in-between.

I had been on 2.0.1 when I started, and I used the version 3 of your (very cool in spite of this) app.

Wilsondm2 and I are seeing exactly the same behavior.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #64
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

What OS/Programs are you guys using to copy the images to the kindle2?

The only way I can replicate this behavior is by deleting a file without resetting the kindle, or by putting a non image file in there.

So I'm wondering if the files you're copying over are having some hidden thumbnail data getting copied along with them.

The only thing that should be in the screen_saver directory are images, anything else will make a blank screen.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #65
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

For example, OS X favorite: .XYZ.png <-- notice the beginning dot. Since those will be probably be picked up by the existing screensaver mechanism and those thumbnails is not really a usual image file.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #66
kilikini
Enthusiast
kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, KFire, iPad, iPhone
It works fine for me, thanks very much clarknova

I took 10 greyscale 600x800 .jpgs, and added an a,b,c etc. to the beginning of the file names just so they'd appear in the order that I like. There is a slight flash of blank screen that very briefly shows as the screensaver is applied - maybe that is what wilsondm2 and tlrowley are seeing? This also happens when viewing image files on the Kindle.
kilikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #67
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I'm on Mac OS 10.5.6, and yes, you're right, there are hidden files. I removed them using terminal, and checked to make sure they were gone. I still had blank images. Then I remembered that I needed to reset. That fixed it.

Thanks for the pointer in the right direction.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #68
wilsondm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
What OS/Programs are you guys using to copy the images to the kindle2?

The only way I can replicate this behavior is by deleting a file without resetting the kindle, or by putting a non image file in there.

So I'm wondering if the files you're copying over are having some hidden thumbnail data getting copied along with them.

The only thing that should be in the screen_saver directory are images, anything else will make a blank screen.
That has to be it. Mac OSX 10.5.6 here too. Will switch to VMWare WXP and report back.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #69
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Quote:
That has to be it. Mac OSX 10.5.6 here too. Will switch to VMWare WXP and report back.
Noooooo, don't do that - just delete the ._ files. It's not so bad that you have to use Windows to fix it
Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #70
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

OK - since I started this thread I decided I needed to give this a try. It works! My family is back!!!

I had a little trouble finding and deleting the hidden files that were producing a blank screen between each picture, but once my son showed me how to use Terminal to get rid of them I was good as gold.

THANKS!!!
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #71
wilsondm2

That was it - erased the dot files and it works perfectly!! thank you!!
Old 03-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #72
wilsondm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Noooooo, don't do that - just delete the ._ files. It's not so bad that you have to use Windows to fix it
ROFL - yeh, but I'm not too sure how else to do it....hehe
Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #73
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
ROFL - yeh, but I'm not too sure how else to do it....hehe
THere is a config item so you can have OS X show you the hidden files.

But, the easiest way to do it is to open Terminal app. cd to the kindle and use rm command.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:04 AM   #74
xobs
xobs began at the beginning.

tlrowley and wilsondm2:

Are you using Macs? My guess is that it's trying to display the resource fork file as an actual image.

When OS X writes to a FAT32 drive (like the Kindle), it creates the file (e.g. image.jpg), and an AppleDouble Macintosh file with the same name, prefixed with "._" (e.g. ._image.jpg). The leading dot causes it to be hidden.

If you can remove those files, I would guess you'll stop seeing the blank images.
xobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:30 AM   #75
wilsondm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xobs View Post
tlrowley and wilsondm2:

Are you using Macs? My guess is that it's trying to display the resource fork file as an actual image.

When OS X writes to a FAT32 drive (like the Kindle), it creates the file (e.g. image.jpg), and an AppleDouble Macintosh file with the same name, prefixed with "._" (e.g. ._image.jpg). The leading dot causes it to be hidden.

If you can remove those files, I would guess you'll stop seeing the blank images.
Yes. That is exactly what happened. Thank you!