Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #16
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
When I bought my Glo I had the same thought and so compared the black and the white models to each other side by side - and for me, the white bezel made the words project more - so I got a white one.
Same here with the Mini. I really like having it in white
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
I posted my thoughts and some pictures in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211133

A short summary: I LOVE IT!

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

2) What about the idea of a white bezel 'contributing' (I use that term loosely) to giving a faded-out appearance to the words? (This is one of the reasons, I would argue, that so many people wanted (and still want?) a Kobo mini with a black case.)
I have a white Sony T1, no trouble with any faded out appearance to the words here! A black bezel might make the pearl screen seem brighter by contrast, but doesn't seem to have any effect on text. Hubby has the black T1, so have directly compared text appearance between the two.

As for fingerprints, not an issue on my shiny white Sony, they don't show. My husband's shiny black T1 is a completely different story, total fingerprint magnet.

Fingerprints bug me, I ordered the ivory Aura HD and am hoping it behaves similarly to my T1 in terms of fingerprints.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Aside from pdfs, does this thing perform any better than the Glo? Page turns, etc. If I recall correctly they both have 1 ghz processor, so I'm guessing speed is more or less the same.

On the comparison video by goodereader, they comment on how much longer it takes the Glo to open a book, but they opened war and peace on the Glo, which is a huge book. You'd think they would open the same book on both devices..

Also, would love to see user posted pictures of the espresso version, are any available yet?
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Has anyone who generally uses a large font size tried one?

To me a big advantage of the Kobo Aura is the screen size, and while that may work well for some manga and PDF (perhaps in addition to the higher res), it seems to me it should also be useful for those using a larger font size (someone mentioned this in another thread although mostly theoretically). Unfortunately a lot of early reviews in external sites seem fairly useless, mostly concentrating on the higher res.

While I don't own an ebook reader myself, I have tried some before and it does seem that they don't work so well for large fonts since you get very few words per line which likely isn't ideal for reading, and you also get very few words per page meaning lots of page turns. Of course you always have fewer but a larger size seems it might work significantly better.

Unfortunately I have no idea if the Aura HD is ever going to be in a store here in NZ and even if it does come, I expect it to be a month or more (similar to the Glo) so I can't see this for myself baring perhaps testing it with a 7" tablet like the Nexus 7.

I'm mostly interested for my mum who can read normal font size fine but does prefer large print books when available. Since she's used to library books which are fairly variable in size even if not large print, the weight and larger size shouldn't be a big deal.

(I would personally like to have physical page turning buttons in addition to the touch screen, but it seems I'm SOL unless perhaps Sony brings some light here but that's likely a while away.)
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #21
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
New review up at Engadget

Kobo Aura HD review: a high-end e-reader with 'niche' written all over it
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil Einne View Post
Has anyone who generally uses a large font size tried one?

To me a big advantage of the Kobo Aura is the screen size, and while that may work well for some manga and PDF (perhaps in addition to the higher res), it seems to me it should also be useful for those using a larger font size (someone mentioned this in another thread although mostly theoretically). Unfortunately a lot of early reviews in external sites seem fairly useless, mostly concentrating on the higher res.

While I don't own an ebook reader myself, I have tried some before and it does seem that they don't work so well for large fonts since you get very few words per line which likely isn't ideal for reading, and you also get very few words per page meaning lots of page turns. Of course you always have fewer but a larger size seems it might work significantly better.

Unfortunately I have no idea if the Aura HD is ever going to be in a store here in NZ and even if it does come, I expect it to be a month or more (similar to the Glo) so I can't see this for myself baring perhaps testing it with a 7" tablet like the Nexus 7.

I'm mostly interested for my mum who can read normal font size fine but does prefer large print books when available. Since she's used to library books which are fairly variable in size even if not large print, the weight and larger size shouldn't be a big deal.

(I would personally like to have physical page turning buttons in addition to the touch screen, but it seems I'm SOL unless perhaps Sony brings some light here but that's likely a while away.)
1) is the largest font possible (using KOBO nickle)

2) is about 10% down the slide bar from the largest

3) is about 50% down the slide bar, and what I usually use.

S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130423_172703.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	506.0 KB
ID:	104858   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130423_172722.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	535.4 KB
ID:	104859   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130423_172742.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	533.4 KB
ID:	104860  
Old 04-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #23
savbeowulf
Enthusiast
savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Ivory
I am eagerly awaiting my new Ivory Aura HD. I've had my sleep case turn up already so hopefully the reader will be following shortly.
I read somewhere that eInk had 300 000 new hd screens that they then offered to B&N who for whatever reason turned them down. They then got snapped up by Kobo and the Aura appeared as a result hence the limited run. The source in the article I read was stated as being a previously reliable but obviously take it with a pinch of salt.
Can't help but reading loads of reviews and this was the last one I received info of from my Google Alert
http://www.trustedreviews.com/kobo-a..._Gadget_review
savbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Why is it that reviews are showing a poorly formatted eBook with a poor font instead of a well formatted eBook with a nice font? It does the Aura no favors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it that reviews are showing a poorly formatted eBook with a poor font instead of a well formatted eBook with a nice font? It does the Aura no favors.
Yeah, what's with the huge margins, the wasted header space and wasted bottom space, and the ragged margin? The extra size of the aura is wasted as it is probably showing less text than the kindle.

I assume these reviews are using some books that came with the aura as well as default settings. If so, then kobo is to blame. They need to get a clue.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Yeah, what's with the huge margins, the wasted header space and wasted bottom space, and the ragged margin? The extra size of the aura is wasted as it is probably showing less text than the kindle.

I assume these reviews are using some books that came with the aura as well as default settings. If so, then kobo is to blame. They need to get a clue.
Kobo is not to blame. The reviewers are. They are the ones deciding to use that eBook to take photos of the screen. I could easily get a free eBook that would look good with graphics and text wrapped around the graphics. If I was doing the review, I'd want to try out the Aura out with eBooks that are well formatted to see how it handles things. We already know it can do eBooks that look like a text file.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #27
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
1) is the largest font possible (using KOBO nickle)

2) is about 10% down the slide bar from the largest

3) is about 50% down the slide bar, and what I usually use.

S
Mostly Math - is that a kepub or sideloaded epub in your pictures? I love that the series & book titles show up at the top of the screen & the chapter # and name & page x of y shows up at the bottom.

Last edited by 93terp; 04-23-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: correction
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Can the title at the top be turned off to get the use of that screen space for actual eBook content?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #29
Mostly Math
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Mostly Math - is that a kepub or sideloaded epub in your pictures? I love that the series & book titles show up at the top of the screen & the chapter # and name & page x of y shows up at the bottom.
A kepub.

Quote:
Can the title at the top be turned off to get the use of that screen space for actual eBook content?
Not that I can find.

S
Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #30
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
The book title at the top is not present for non-kepubs, at least on a Kobo Glo (fw2.5). In fact unless you take steps to prevent it in the css, the first line of text is very close to the top bezel.

If you want to see the title you just have to tap a book page to bring up the standard in-book options. The current time displays for a few seconds and is then replaced by the title at top centre. Similarly if you want to see your current chapter, selecting the navigate page option will display it, as will displaying the TOC.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote