Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Kobo Aura HD Impressions Thread

Apologies if I am being presumptuous for making this thread (especially since I don't have any impressions to offer yet) but it seems like impressions are being posted in about 3 different threads, getting mixed up with pre-order excitement, shipping and ordering troubles and complaints that Kobo is the devil.
So far it seems like only a few people have received their Aura but I suspect in the next few days that number will swell to a large number so it would be nice to have all thoughts in one thread.
I'm really looking forward to getting mine. For those who have them, how do you feel about the unconventional back? It seems like this is going to be a hugely personal preference judging from the little feedback I've seen so far:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySony505 View Post
As for the back cover that's just plain silly. I will give it a few days, but right now I think I will stay with the Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by munim View Post
The shape of the rear makes the device comfortable, as is widely reported.
Let's hear those impressions!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
For those with the black (I refuse to use Onyx) Aura, how is the fingerprint situation?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
munim
munim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
For those with the black (I refuse to use Onyx) Aura, how is the fingerprint situation?
Now that you mention it, it gets pretty smudgy but maybe my fingers are oily
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.JPG
Views:	1720
Size:	976.5 KB
ID:	104823  
munim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Do we need another thread for questions and problems? I have a question. Can Aura HD handle Japanese book? From right to left?
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
munim
munim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Here are my impressions from the original thread:

Quote:
Hey guys,

I received my Aura HD this afternoon, it's literally the first e-reader I have touched, much less used. Given that background, here are my thoughts:

Physically it has nice build quality, no creaking or untoward sounds when handling it normally. Rapping on the rear of the device makes a hollow sound, which is obvious and acceptable considering the way it's made. The shape of the rear makes the device comfortable, as is widely reported. The only thing I find strange is the red color of the power button/slider, but really I don't care too much about it.

The screen looks great, as I would expect an e-reader to look. I find the page transitions to be disconcerting, however. I was expecting an animation like I've seen on reading apps on full-on tablets. I suppose that's impossible for these displays? The responsiveness of the display is alright, the touches are always detected immediately but there's a lag between the touch and the screen displaying that the key has been depressed (in the case of the on-screen keyboard).

The glow / light feature of the screen is really good, it's very easy on the eyes and uniform as far as I can tell. It has a light blue hue.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

Edit: One thing though: the screen displays an inversion of the black and white screen elements when the whole or a portion of the screen is changed like in the video I've uploaded here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoGpl_K4-Hg
Is this normal for e-readers?
One thing I'd like to amend is the build quality, there's something inside the device that's moving back and forth. If I shake it back and forth, I can hear something smacking the front and then the rear. Externally everything looks as it should.

I'll file a warranty claim down the line, it will probably be useless right now because a) it's the first week and I'm sure their supply is already strained and b) maybe this is bad batch and they'll fix it later.

Can anyone else see if theirs also makes the sound?
munim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Here are my impressions from the original thread:

One thing I'd like to amend is the build quality, there's something inside the device that's moving back and forth. If I shake it back and forth, I can hear something smacking the front and then the rear. Externally everything looks as it should.

I'll file a warranty claim down the line, it will probably be useless right now because a) it's the first week and I'm sure their supply is already strained and b) maybe this is bad batch and they'll fix it later.

Can anyone else see if theirs also makes the sound?
No noise here using mine, maybe a screw or something is floating around in the back of your device. I would certainly file the warranty claim as you suggest if mine was doing what you describe.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Do we need another thread for questions and problems? I have a question. Can Aura HD handle Japanese book? From right to left?
In .kepub.epub, yes. The Adobe renderer used for .epub books does not handle rtl or vertical languages. At Chapters over the weekend, I got to test an Aura with an SD card with several books on it. I used a modified version of DomesticExtremis's test epub with his various language articles replaced by versions of the UDHR with embedded fonts so I could see the CJK, Hebrew and Arabic tests properly.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: CybkG3; iPads; Kindle PW2, Fire; NookGlow; KoboGlo, Aura HD, Aura One;
Quote:
One thing I'd like to amend is the build quality, there's something inside the device that's moving back and forth. If I shake it back and forth, I can hear something smacking the front and then the rear. Externally everything looks as it should....
I remember reading about this happening in some Kobo Glo units, and being the battery having come loose. So I looked it up, and found this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-197590.html

(Or if the link doesn't work, look up "Glo kobo glo clunk noise" in the forums.)

Last edited by Mikeyboards; 04-23-2013 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Additional info on finding a related thread.
Mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #9
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Now that you mention it, it gets pretty smudgy but maybe my fingers are oily
Not just you. I have had a couple of Kobo (with the quilted back) and my Mum has a Touch one and they've all been finger print magnets even though we made sure our fingers were clean before picking it up.

My Mum began to wash her hands before she picked up her Touch but the finger prints persisted so it must be our natural finger oil. They attract them. Hopefully this more plasticy looking back will be easier to clean than the quilted back is.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Two questions, please:

1) What about fingerprints on the white unit? (I would assume they would be less noticeable on this unit than on the other two colored units.) Fingerprints on my Kobo Glo is a real nuisance - to me.

2) What about the idea of a white bezel 'contributing' (I use that term loosely) to giving a faded-out appearance to the words? (This is one of the reasons, I would argue, that so many people wanted (and still want?) a Kobo mini with a black case.)

Thanks, everyone.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

2) What about the idea of a white bezel 'contributing' (I use that term loosely) to giving a faded-out appearance to the words? (This is one of the reasons, I would argue, that so many people wanted (and still want?) a Kobo mini with a black case.)

Thanks, everyone.

Don
When I bought my Glo I had the same thought and so compared the black and the white models to each other side by side - and for me, the white bezel made the words project more - so I got a white one.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I set mine up yesterday so I will give some quick first impressions.

I like the back. It makes it very comfortable to hold the device. Also, the back doesn't look as bulky or awkward in person as it does in photos.
I have an onyx/black device and for me I think it attracts fingerprints on par with other Kobo devices, maybe even a little more.

The light and screen are beautiful. To my eyes, the light is perfectly white and even at all levels and there is only the slightest smudging at the bottom which I actually have to look for to even notice. The light set at the lowest level is too low for me to read in complete darkness.

Regarding the UI, I'm torn. The home page is nice but I'm not sure it's an improvement on Mini/Touch/Glo home page. It's probably just that I'm not used to it yet. The one thing that I miss is the menu icon for books in library/shelf/preview views. There seems to be no way to access synopsis, etc and it seems that books can only be marked as finished from inside a book. This is one function that I truly miss. (Solution in post #14.)

All said, I'm very happy with the device.

Last edited by llcj; 04-23-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add solution to problem.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
I had a very brief play with the Aura yesterday, specifically the black, sorry Onyx, version.

Look and felt very nice in my hand and hands. Seemed as light and easy to hold as my Touch.

Sleep to read time is the same as the touch, pretty instantaneous. Read to sleep is about half a second slower than the touch, could be it was syncing at the time, as Wifi was enabled on the Aura but not the Touch, did not have time to check this fully.

Display seemed very clear and crisp.

Weight comparison between Touch and Aura is good, it felt only very, very slightly heavier (think it's meant to be 40 grams difference, but don't quote me on that).

That's about it, as said, it was a very quick hands-on (Thanks Jim!), but I think I would switch from my Touch to an Aura, and am considering doing so.

I do have questions in regards to the "limited edition" nature of the device, and I hopefully I may have answers on that at some point. Personally think it's just marketing talk to increase demand for the device.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
The one thing that I miss is the menu icon for books in library/shelf/preview views. There seems to be no way to access synopsis, etc and it seems that books can only be marked as finished from inside a book. This is one function that I truly miss.
On the Glo you can do a long-press on the book cover or title area in the library listing and it will pop up a menu exactly the same as if you had tapped the menu icon at the right. I imagine this would work on the Aura too.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-23-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: right not left
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
On the Glo you can do a long-press on the book cover or title area in the library listing and it will pop up a menu exactly the same as if you had tapped the menu icon at the right. I imagine this would work on the Aura too.
Yep, this works. Thanks. Went all night without discovering this
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote