Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #5566
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Part time paparazzi?
Not quite paparazzi. I don't go for the glitz or the glamor side. But for the last 15 years since I retired from the university, it's paid the bills, even as part-time work. Every time we travel anywhere, (and we travel often,) I always take pictures, write articles, and sell them to travel and tourism magazines, airline seat back magazines, and tourist venues. (On this past week's trip to the Sea of Japan, two different airline magazines bought pics and stories.) Often I get shooting assignments from different publications, editors, advertising companies, etc., as well as regular work from one adventure travel company. (Most of those are underwater SCUBA photos.) Most of the photos that I've put in the albums here have been in a few different magazines. It's fun.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #5567
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Nice way to travel, having fun AND getting paid for it. All digital these days I suppose.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #5568
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nice way to travel, having fun AND getting paid for it. All digital these days I suppose.
Absolutely digital. I switched to digital 7-8 years ago and never looked back. I continued with film for underwater shooting for another year or two, but then went digital for that too.

America's famous photographer, perhaps THE most famous, Ansel Adams, was quoted as saying "For every hour I spend behind the camera, I spend 100 in the darkroom adjusting the picture." With digital, the darkroom is "PhotoShop," and instead of it taking 100 hours, corrections take just a few minutes... at most, an hour. And there's no waste. We used to throw away 100 or more negatives for each one we kept. That was all money down the drain. I'd have to shoot three or more frames for every image I shot, bracketing the exposure to insure correct lighting. Today, I look at the histogram on the back of the camera and can see immediately if I need to make adjustments. And when I look at the shot on the computer, can make complete adjustments ever further. With film I needed to be within 1 f/stop to make corrections. With digital, I can underexpose 4-5 f/stops and still bring up the image perfectly with PhotoShop. A couple of minutes of photo correction and turn garbage into a decent photograph. For example;

This:

becomes this:

... in less than two minutes work! ... and made it into a dive shop's brochure. (Well, not 'this' one, but its brother that I spent five minutes on instead of two...)

God Bless digital...

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 11-06-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #5569
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Not to mention all the chemicals that are no longer required. The flipside is that photo stores are few and rare between. I bet it used to be a more social activity, now I guess it is a social networking activity.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #5570
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Not to mention all the chemicals that are no longer required. The flipside is that photo stores are few and rare between. I bet it used to be a more social activity, now I guess it is a social networking activity.
I went into my favorite camera shop in Osaka today to pick up a filter wrench, and realized that the 10 meter refrigerated cabinet that used to hold 5 different brands of film in all sizes, was now less than 2 meters wide, and only carrying Fuji Velvia and Provia, some Illford and Agfa... And no more than a brick of each size. 10 years ago the bricks were stacked up behind each size and brand. I used buy film in bulk rolls and load my own cassettes so that I could squeeze almost 50 shots per roll. Important when shooting underwater where you can't change film. These days I can carry 940 shots in my camera (at the resolution that I shoot. If I shot at JPG Normal I could have 5,100 in my camera...)

But photography is still pretty social. When I was shooting along the Sea of Japan last week, people were constantly coming over to discuss the settings and the equipment. People to people.

Stitchawl
Old 11-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #5571
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #5572
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Copied from a random place:

A nice, calm and respectable lady went into the pharmacy, walked up to the pharmacist, looked straight into his eyes, and said, "I'd like to buy some cyanide." The pharmacist asked, "Why in the world do you need cyanide?" The lady replied, "I need it to poison my husband." The pharmacist's eyes got big and he explained, "Lord have mercy! I can't give you cyanide to kill your husband, that's against the law? I'll lose my license! They'll throw both of us in jail! All kinds of bad things will happen. Absolutely not! You CANNOT have any cyanide!" The lady reached into her purse and pulled out a picture of her husband in bed with the pharmacist's wife. The pharmacist looked at the picture and said, "You didn't tell me you had a prescription."
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #5573
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
That's a motivating joke.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #5574
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Have you heard about those mystery flights? Return air fares for $59. The only restriction is they don't tell you what city you're going to. So basically you become your luggage.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #5575
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Have you heard about those mystery flights? Return air fares for $59. The only restriction is they don't tell you what city you're going to. So basically you become your luggage.

Stitchawl
Old 11-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #5576
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Very funny
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #5577
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #5578
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
My son is dyslexic and I'm stealing that one.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #5579
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
A young man goes to a local pharmacy to buy some condoms, and the pharmacist can tell that the young man is quite nervous. The two start talking and the young man admits that this will be his first time. That pharmacist provides some words of encouragement and tries to calm the young man's nerves.

A few hours later the young man arrives at his girlfriend's house. He meets her parents and has a nice meal with them. After dinner his girlfriend grabs his hand and tells her parents that she and her bo are going to go out for a while. However, to her surprise and annoyance, her boyfriend suggests that the whole family play a game of Monopoly.

Several hours later the game is over and the young man says he is going to head back home. His girlfriend takes him aside and says, "I thought we were going to have sex tonight. Did I do something wrong?"

Her boyfriend replies, "Well maybe you could have told me your father is a pharmacist."
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #5580
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I was walking through the park when I had a very bad asthma attack. These three asthmatics attacked me.
I know . . . . I should have heard them hiding.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote