Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
karlcow
karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: kobo touch
Orthogonality of kobobook services and kobo ereader devices

I bought a Kobo Touch device a couple of weeks ago. I have read a few books already with it uploading the (EPUB) books with calibre. It worked quite well.

I though have a few issues about the orthogonality of the device and the service. I have started to ask the questions to [Kobo Customer Care]. The people handling the communications there are quite nice, even if they do not have satisfying answers.

I have not created an account on kobobooks on purpose. This is a starter for this discussion. I would like to know if it would be possible to do the following things with my kobo touch ereader.

Each of these are for now as I noticed non functional without creating an account. It creates a dependency on having an account on kobobooks. I don't think it should. There are features which might be improved by having an account on Kobobooks such as backups, synchronization in between devices, book ordering, etc. All of these are completely orthogonal to the device operations.

If someone from kobo is reading here, would it be possible to move forward on these issues?

Other users, is it something that would be interesting for you?

Last edited by karlcow; 08-02-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: to adjust a false statement.
karlcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Are you sure on the firmware upgrade? The actual firmware is easily obtained via ftp, and then can be copied to a location on the Kobo when it is attached to your PC.

Likewise, I'm not sure of any link between the the WiFi and the Kobo account....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
karlcow
karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

For the wifi, through the device UI without an account, it seems impossible to see any local networks.

For the firmware, I will search online to see if I can get more information
it seems to be a good place to start http://blog.ringerc.id.au/search/label/kobo

Thanks PeterT
Old 08-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check out https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...97&postcount=9
Old 08-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlcow View Post
For the wifi, through the device UI without an account, it seems impossible to see any local networks.
If you haven't done any update to the firmware that came from the factory that could be your issue with the wifi. The Kobo Touch firmware as shipped doesn't (didn't on early ones anyway) have wifi capability as the wifi functionality wasn't completed in time to make it into the firmware installed at factory. If you do a firmware update from link PeterT suggested that may solve your wifi issue. Aside from that you should be able to do everything without a Kobo account. You would need an Adobe Digital Editions account to use DRMed content (unless stripped) though.
Having said that, I'm not sure there is currently any option to export annotations.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
karlcow

The current factory firmware (out of the factory) installed on the device is 1.9.4 (r29344, Jun 18 2011). It seems to be fairly recent.

The latest version seems to be 1.9.6
http://blog.kobobooks.com/kobo-eread...ary-functions/
Old 08-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Karl... current is 1.9.9; please check the forums here. Their blog is behind the times!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
karlcow

Ok Peter, I have written a manual about upgrading the firmware of the Kobo ereader.
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...35#post1686435

It didn't solve my previous issues about wifi, etc. but thanks for putting me in the right direction.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Just curious... what good is the wifi if you're not using it to sync your kobobooks library

I mean... even if you did connect, all you'd have is the "web browser"
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
karlcow

Specifically the Web browser. To be able to read some Web sites when I have just the reader.

(It would be also nice in the future to be able to sync your books in the repository of your choice)
Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
Just curious... what good is the wifi if you're not using it to sync your kobobooks library

I mean... even if you did connect, all you'd have is the "web browser"
Or you could make your Calibre library available via HTTP.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotation, device, independence, kobo, wifi