Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
zwandy
zwandy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
The Kindle supports html tables?

Hi, just got a Kindle 3. First e-reader device. Quite happy with it. Before I got it though, I had read nearly everywhere that Kindles do not support even the most basic html tables.

My Kindle 3 however seems to support tables. I have only worked with the simplest of html tables on my Kindle 3, but it appears to do a fine job of rendering the tables, resizing the contents of the tables, etc...

I'm just wondering, do html tables work across the board now for Kindles, or does only the Kindle 3 support them? It was a lovely surprise when some tables in a document sent to me worked, and I would like them to work for others if I send documents later.

Thanks and I have enjoyed lurking on this forum before the arrival of my Kindle 3. Hope to post more here now that I have a hands on device
zwandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Mobipocket book format (which the Kindle uses) supports simple tables. See:

http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...ile=tables.htm
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Diodato
Diodato began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwandy View Post
I'm just wondering, do html tables work across the board now for Kindles, or does only the Kindle 3 support them?
If I recall correctly only the original Kindle (Kindle 1) doesn't support tables at all. Newer models, like HarryT said, have only very simple support.
A little bit more about tables and other formatting guidelines for Kindle: Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
does ipad support all
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveangel View Post
does ipad support all
The Kindle App for iPad appears to support the same formatting that a "real" Kindle does (if that was your question?).
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I'm just thinking... what about the browser? I saw the NYT front page (I don't know if it uses tables or CSS) rendered pretty nicely with the K3 browser.... can you use the browser to open html docs in your Kindle?
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:44 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, you can't use the browser to open "local" files.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
I opened local files on the Kindle 2's web browser (using file:///mnt/us/...) Has it been disabled in the new Kindle 3 browser?
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
Metapioca
Metapioca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G intl
@isotherm: yup, it's disabled, I already tried... file:// protocol is not supported
Metapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metapioca View Post
@isotherm: yup, it's disabled, I already tried... file:// protocol is not supported
Why would they do that?
Dang!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metapioca View Post
Bummer! I had plans for that...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
trefork
trefork began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
Why would they do that?
Dang!
My guess would be that since ePub is HTML, supporting local files would effectively be supporting ePub.
trefork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
Why would they do that?
Dang!
Stops you looking at files on the system they don't want you looking at
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formatting, html, kindle 3, tables