Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Nincompete
Nincompete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G & WiFi
USB Car Charger

Can anyone tell me whether or not I can use any garden variety USB car charger with my Kindle 3 or do I have to purchase one especially made for the K3 from Amazon?
Nincompete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
A generic one should work but it isn't 100% guaranteed.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Nincompete

I guess I just want to be sure that if I use a generic one, it won't damage the device.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nincompete View Post
I guess I just want to be sure that if I use a generic one, it won't damage the device.
If it is properly made then at worst it just won't charge. The only way it would damage the Kindle would be if it was faulty.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Nincompete

Thanks Tiersten. I'll look for something with a brand name that hopefully has a reputation for standing behind its products.
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have been in electronics for more years than I can count. I would highly advise buying a good quality auto charger. Even one with two outlets on one devise. The realty cheap 99 cent eBay devices work but they have no fusing or filter protection. I went as far as buying a high quality unit, removed it from its case and built it into me dash. One day all cars will come with them built in.
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Ged_uk
Enthusiast
Ged_uk began at the beginning.

Device: K3-3G, HTC HD2
I can confirm the HTC branded car charger for the HD2 works fine & is of a good quality.
G
Ged_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Nincompete

I wound up buying the Griffin PowerJolt. It delivers 2.1 amps (most others only deliver 1 amp which is apparently not enough to charge some devices like the iPad) and has a built-in "smart fuse". Hopefully it will do the job for the K3 which has finally been shipped and is expected to arrive on September 13. Thanks to all who replied to my post.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
lmittell
Enthusiast
lmittell began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3, Jetbook Lite, iPhone4
I've been using the Coby CA781 charger for several months now and it powers and charges my USB-charged portable devices successfully. It has two USB ports and a standard automotive 12V socket. I usually have a cell phone and an Ipod connected to the USB ports, leaving the 12V socket free for a radar detector or what-have-you. The only complaint I have is that the rubber cap intended to cap the socket when it's unused will not stay put.

I haven't had occasion to power my Kindle with it, but I see absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work. It has 0.5A current capacity for each port, so it may not charge the K as quickly as the Amazon-supplied mains charger.

Here's a link to one source that currently (pun unintentional) has it discounted to 5 bucks US. There are many other vendors selling it, including Amazon.

Larry
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote