Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: September 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 15 16.48%
Killing Floor by Lee Child 20 21.98%
Boston Blackie by Jack Boyle 6 6.59%
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky 12 13.19%
Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman by E.W. Horning 8 8.79%
Skinwalkers by Tony Hillerman 8 8.79%
Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout 7 7.69%
Fingersmith by Sarah Waters 6 6.59%
White Seed: The Untold Story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by MR member Paul Clayton 6 6.59%
The Tin Roof Blowdown: A Dave Robicheaux Novel by James Lee Burke 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #31
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
I voted for Wilkie. I have that book on my reader for over a year now and haven't come to it yet.
Read Raffles already and wasn't over enthusiastic.......
Liked the only Jack Reacher novel I've read so far although he's a bit to much a super hero to my liking.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire

Vote WHITE!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I hate it that White Seed: The Untold Story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by Paul Clayton has so far only garnered three votes. Of all the choices, I think it would engender the liveliest discussion. What happened to the Lost Colony remains to this day a subject of debate, since the only clue discovered was the word "Croatoan" carved on a tree. Paul's fictional solution is wonderful and engaging, and -- who knows -- may not be far removed from the actual history. His description of the colonist's descent into madness as their troubles increase is gripping, and their final fate was ... well, you'll just have to read the book.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-27-2010 at 07:37 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
And it's a book on my reader waiting for me!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I started Boston Blackie last night. When I'm finished I'll move on to The Moonstone. If there's time, I'll do Raffles next.

This is the first time that I'm not waiting to see who wins before I start reading the nominees!
The continuity and overall development clearly classify it as a novel, but the way each three chapters in turn can be looked upon as stand-alone stories clearly betray it's origin as a serialized adventure. It's interesting to see how Boston Blackie in the book differs considerably from the later radio dramas. For one thing, he was much more faithful to Mary in the book. In some of the radio shows, he tended to have an eye for the ladies.
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I see what appears to be a glitch in the system. White Seed has three names of voters, but a vote total of only two.

Edit - I see now that the problem has been corrected.
Whoop! Gots ta' start the votin' over! This election is rigged! Call in Jimmy Carter to monitor the thing!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #37
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I would have loved to read 'Killing Floor' by Lee Child, but it's just not available in Australia.

I vote for White Seed, since I started that quite a while ago, and never finished it.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I would have loved to read 'Killing Floor' by Lee Child, but it's just not available in Australia.

I vote for White Seed, since I started that quite a while ago, and never finished it.
Stick with it. The pace turns to white-knuckle by the later chapters!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #39
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
Book Club

I would suggest adding two rules to book club selections.

For one, on alternate months specify that the book to be read must be available for free, either on Mobiread or on Gutenberg.

On the months where current and copyrighted books are to be read, the books nominated must be available in multiple formats so that any common e-reader can read them. In other words, no Amazon exclusives for Kindle only.

I do not think these proposed rules would handicap the program at all but would serve a useful purpose.
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Jon, I noted that you do love that series and that book, especially since you have a thread discussing it: Jack Reacher series by Lee Child.

The Tin Roof Blowdown: A Dave Robicheaux Novel by James Lee Burke, according to the below quote, can be read out of sequence, though.

quoted from this page
Quote:
while those not yet acquainted with Robicheaux can start here, thanks to the comprehensive background information Burke provides in what critics call his best book yet.
In plain English... spoilers for the books that come before.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNI View Post
I would suggest adding two rules to book club selections.

For one, on alternate months specify that the book to be read must be available for free, either on Mobiread or on Gutenberg.

On the months where current and copyrighted books are to be read, the books nominated must be available in multiple formats so that any common e-reader can read them. In other words, no Amazon exclusives for Kindle only.

I do not think these proposed rules would handicap the program at all but would serve a useful purpose.
Can we expand that to is/was free?

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-27-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #42
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can we expand that to is/was free?
Can you explain "was free"? Books are either free or not free.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #43
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It's interesting to see how Boston Blackie in the book differs considerably from the later radio dramas. For one thing, he was much more faithful to Mary in the book. In some of the radio shows, he tended to have an eye for the ladies.
I remember (somewhat) seeing one of the Chester Morris movies maybe thirty years ago, and I don't remember Mary being in the picture!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Can you explain "was free"? Books are either free or not free.
Was free means that they were once free, but now are not free.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #45
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Was free means that they were once free, but now are not free.
Which negates the idea of the original suggestion. If it's not free it cost money. The idea was to have alternate free/not free months. Doesn't matter if it was once free if it now costs money. Yes?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote