Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
chinababe
chinababe began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
iriver story & new mac laptop problems

Hi
I have been using story on my old windows laptop. I just got a new mac & can't manage to get epub (adobe) books onto the story. i am not great on computer but on pc it was easy as story showd up in adobe digital editions. On mac it just shows on desktop> I've tried clicking & dragging what I think is book across & it shows on story sometimes but when I try it, it just says "failed to open file"
All help gratefully received.
thanks
chinababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Hi chinababe,
I hope you've found a solution already, but I thought I'd jump in to say:

I'm not a Mac user, so I don't have direct experience, but I remember reading that yu can't just drag-and-drop from the Mac to a Story the way you can from a Windows pc. You have to use a file-management utility like iRiver Plus or Calibre to write directly to the device.

I think, from what I read, that the limitation is in the Story itself, rather than the Mac.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
I'm a Mac user. when I've connected my Iriver Story to the Mac I open two windows in Finder, one for Story and one for wherever I have the books I want to load - usually in Downloads.

Under Story you'll find a folder called Books and, under that, one called English Books with your 100 free books in it. When you're there you can drag files from the other Finder window to the Story/Books/English Books folder and drop them there. Make sure the books you load have a file name of the form "Author Name - Book Title" or just "Book Title" or you won't be able to add a bookmark. DON'T use, for example, "Book Title - Author Name". I've written to Iriver about this and hope there'll be a fix some time.

Another thing about the Mac. When I eject the Story, it reconnects again within about ten seconds. Don't know if anyone else has this problem. You have to be very quick to pull out the usb cable if you don't want to get a comment about the disk not having been ejected properly. This problem doesn't exist on Windows (XP) or Linux (Ubuntu 10-4).

//James
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Another thing about the Mac. When I eject the Story, it reconnects again within about ten seconds. Don't know if anyone else has this problem. You have to be very quick to pull out the usb cable if you don't want to get a comment about the disk not having been ejected properly. This problem doesn't exist on Windows (XP) or Linux (Ubuntu 10-4)
I have posted this alrady someplace else in these forums, but it may be appropriate to repeat here.

I have written a little AppleScript to take care of the reappearing Story volume(s). To use it, open AppleScript Editor (located in /Applications/Utilities/), paste the following code in a new document and save it to Library/Scripts/ in your home directory with an appropriate name like "Unmount STORY". You may need to modify the entries of ListOfVolumeNames to match the volume names of your reader.

To use the script, go to AppleScript Editor's Preferences: General and enable "Show Script menu in menu bar". You see a new "scroll" icon in your menu bar under which your scripts appear. Of course, you can use other means to execute the script, like Quicksilver for example.

Code:
(*
	Script for unmounting reappearing eBook reader volumes
	written for mobileread forums, © 2010 ischeriad
*)

set ListOfVolumeNames to {"STORY", "STORY SD"}

tell application "Finder"
	repeat with VolumeName in ListOfVolumeNames
		if (exists the disk VolumeName) then
			set MountPoint to do shell script "diskutil info '" & VolumeName & "' | sed -n 's/.*Mount Point[^/]*//p'"
			do shell script "dot_clean -n '" & MountPoint & "' && diskutil unmount '" & MountPoint & "'"
		end if
	end repeat
end tell
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote