Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Grugni
Grugni began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver story
iRiver Story problems

Hi all,

I've had my story now for 2 weeks and since unboxing it's locked up on almost every use.

On stock firmware (v1.12) it was crashing every 10 or 15 mins while reading pdf's. I updated to v1.61 and this seemed to alleviate the fault to only freezing at random.

However, it has now locked out completely and the usual reset and power off no longer restores the system for use.

My question is, have other story users experienced this level of failure or am I the unlucky one? I plan on contacting the reseller and asking for a replacement/refund but as this is my first iriver device, and my experience of the company isn't a good one, I'm tempted to look at another device.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Dave
Grugni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Bobbo
Bobbo began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story
Hi,

I haven't had this problem but you could try the solution in post #57 in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62225&page=4

Good luck,

Rob.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Grugni

I've just tried the method described in that post but the unit is still unresponsive.

Out of curiousity, does your story crash/freeze often?

I'm wondering if I've just had the bad luck of receiving a dodgy unit...

EDIT:
Whaddaya know... I left the story connected to the pc while checking the return policy for the retailer and out of the corner of my saw the screen change... the damned thing has now accepted a standard reset and is working again! GRRRRR!

Last edited by Grugni; 02-12-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I was very pleased with Story, at first. It was, after all, my first ebook reader. But after about 2 weeks or so, some of its weaknesses became apparent. I'm not sure if I was the only one with this problem, but I noticed that the darkness of fonts aren't even across the page. Some letters appear to be darker, thinner, while the others are lighter, and slightly blurry. It gets so distracting I don't use it to read anymore, if I could.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:01 AM   #5
Grugni

I do actually like this device but I'm fed up with the constant crashing. I'm planning on returning it for a replacement... fingers crossed the next one isn't so buggy!
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Eldubb
Eldubb began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can anyone else post if they've had similar problems with Grugni? I'll be buying this next month and want to know if its a common fault.
Eldubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Grugni

It's all packaged up ready to go back... I'll let you know if I experience the same problems with the replacement.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
garyjmobey
garyjmobey began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldubb View Post
Can anyone else post if they've had similar problems with Grugni? I'll be buying this next month and want to know if its a common fault.
no problems here
garyjmobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Eldubb
Eldubb began at the beginning.

Device: none
Anything about it that you're unhappy with?
Eldubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
n0rd
n0rd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Kobo Aura H2O Ed.2
i've no crash at all, and i'm very pleased of my story

i use last firmware and read book in epub and pdf format
n0rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Clippings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grugni View Post
Hi all,

I've had my story now for 2 weeks and since unboxing it's locked up on almost every use.

On stock firmware (v1.12) it was crashing every 10 or 15 mins while reading pdf's. I updated to v1.61 and this seemed to alleviate the fault to only freezing at random.

However, it has now locked out completely and the usual reset and power off no longer restores the system for use.

My question is, have other story users experienced this level of failure or am I the unlucky one? I plan on contacting the reseller and asking for a replacement/refund but as this is my first iriver device, and my experience of the company isn't a good one, I'm tempted to look at another device.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Dave
Dave, does the irivver allow you to highlight text and "clip" it out to a text file on the reader for transferring to a PC to put into Word ? I would be really interested to know. Also, what's the keyboard like. My Kindle's was appalling. Anyway, if you have time to test this out and let us all know, then much Karma will be heading your way.

Thanks, Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Dave, does the irivver allow you to highlight text and "clip" it out to a text file on the reader for transferring to a PC to put into Word ? I would be really interested to know. Also, what's the keyboard like. My Kindle's was appalling. Anyway, if you have time to test this out and let us all know, then much Karma will be heading your way.

Thanks, Hal.
Ooops, just seen that you have packaged it up to send it back. You might already know, or if anyone else has one, can they post a reply ?

Many thanks,

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post

Thanks, Hal.
It doesn't do what you described. The keyboard has very limited usage. It's mainly used to type memos (not a fun activity as the response could be slow) and enter search terms.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #14
rwst
Enthusiast
rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook
no problems here

actually I like my Iriver better than the old Iliad. If you use epub (Project Gutenberg has even epub with images) or convert your PDF to epub with calibre you won't have problems. I wouldn't have known how to transfer books without calibre on Mac OS however. There must be a lot of people out there feeling pissed because of that since it was quite difficult to find the solution (calibre) at all.
rwst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #15
Grugni

Finally got my replacement Story through... will let you know how I get on once I've fully charged it, updated firmware and copied some books on...