Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
BBN
BBN began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise 1150
Multiple series

Hi there,
I am a new user and wondered if there is a way to add more than one series to a book? For instance, Kay Hooper's Blood Ties is the 12th book in her Bishop-SCU series. It is also the 3rd book in her Blood Trilogy.

Thanks,
BBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No standard way.

I guess you could use a Tag for one of the series, but that would still not give you the number within that series.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBN View Post
Hi there,
I am a new user and wondered if there is a way to add more than one series to a book? For instance, Kay Hooper's Blood Ties is the 12th book in her Bishop-SCU series. It is also the 3rd book in her Blood Trilogy.

Thanks,
If you really care, you can add the book twice and use two different series names. The first can be Bishop 12 and the second Bishop-Blood Trilogy 3
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I would recommend sticking the info into comments, though there are other alternatives as pointed out above.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
BBN
BBN began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise 1150
Would this allow for proper sorting within series? Let me mention another type of series I track. Harlequin/Silhouette publishes numerous category romances every month, almost all of which are numbered books. Many of these, however, are part of ongoing author or multi-author series. The data field you have in calibre is meant to track the author/multi-author series. But say I wanted to track the category romances, so I could see how many of those I have and see them in their proper numerical order? Would adding it in comments or tagging it allow for that, or do I need to add the book # in the line with the book's title?

My thanks to all those who have taken the time to read and reply.
BBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBN View Post
Would this allow for proper sorting within series? Let me mention another type of series I track. Harlequin/Silhouette publishes numerous category romances every month, almost all of which are numbered books. Many of these, however, are part of ongoing author or multi-author series. The data field you have in calibre is meant to track the author/multi-author series. But say I wanted to track the category romances, so I could see how many of those I have and see them in their proper numerical order? Would adding it in comments or tagging it allow for that, or do I need to add the book # in the line with the book's title?

My thanks to all those who have taken the time to read and reply.
Series index supports fractional numbers.
You can have:
My_series 1.0
My_series 1.14

I guess use a Tag for the overall
and series and index for the books

Then you can Filter by Tag and sort the view by series.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
solitaire
Connoisseur
solitaire began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Galaxy S5
I think the 'User Defined Fields' feature (already in pipeline) will solve this and a lot of other similar requests.

Meanwhile, the best option would be using tags or comments with the caveat that we will not be able to sort on that information.

Creating two records of the same book is a good idea but I would not personally do it as it will give a different book count and keeping other metadata in sync could be an issue.

My 2c worth
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaire View Post
Creating two records of the same book is a good idea but I would not personally do it as it will give a different book count and keeping other metadata in sync could be an issue.
I've already got the book count issue, mostly for pdf's where I may have a very nice pdf with graphics and extras that I like, but which, unfortunately, is multicolumn and won't convert well. I may also have the same book in a pdf single column format. I keep the single column pdf with other formats in a first entry and have a second book entry for the multicolumn pdf.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
mezme
Connoisseur
mezme began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
David --- I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of adding new fields to Calibre... but would it be to difficult to add a new field/s to calibre?

What I'm thinking is adding a two fields labeled "Collection" "Collection_Index" which would give the ability add a master collection to a book (IE: SilhD) or a second series or list the anthology the book appears in.
mezme is offline   Reply With Quote