Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 05:18 AM   #181
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
And were they honest they wouldn't need to look up factoids but just walk over and say:
"It plainly amazes how you can keep track on that.
I'd have strangled myself already by just trying to produce a plain piece of cloth bare of any patterns."
Hehe, when I am knitting on a bus, on a potholey route, a pair of socks (with 5 double pointed needles), people often do comment how impressed they are that a) I can knit socks without a pattern in hand, and b) anyone can knit with "that many" needles

But you're right. People don't have to come up with brilliant factoids. Often just something like, "That's pretty!" or "My mom taught me to knit, but I didn't really keep up with it, that looks cool!" can be pleasantly received and a good conversation starter. I often would find out that the commenter has cool hobbies of their own (woodturning on a lathe, pottery, weaving, etc), so it gets people to know each other a bit better.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #182
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
It's easy to say all this now, but back then I was pretty much asking to get laughed at. Not that it stopped me. The answer to the question "So, will anyone mind if I knit?" often determined my accepting or declining of invitations anywhere

Nowadays I read about people who take their knitting into pubs and it's not all that unusual , even sexy. Trends come and go. We have people like The Yarn Harlot blazing trails and bringing the cool back into knitting.

ETA: and now e-readers have made it a LOT easier to knit and read at the same time. no need to "hold a book open".
About 15-20 years ago, one of my friends was trying to quit smoking but had difficulty when she was out with other smokers because she didn't have anything to do with her hands. So she started taking knitting with her and was able to finally quit smoking with the aid of knitting.

She also produced a raft of smoky knitwear for her friends!
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #183
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Nowadays I read about people who take their knitting into pubs and it's not all that unusual , even sexy. Trends come and go. We have people like The Yarn Harlot blazing trails and bringing the cool back into knitting..
My wife was on a course about 6 months ago. During the break a 25ish year old male pulled out his knitting and had at it.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #184
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post

She also produced a raft of smoky knitwear for her friends!
Hey, good stuff! I met someone who also used knitting to quit smoking. It's win win, get healthier, make neat accessories!
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #185
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx

From a one-night-stand to knitting.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #186
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Hey, good stuff! I met someone who also used knitting to quit smoking. It's win win, get healthier, make neat accessories!
Crossword puzzles helped me quit smoking.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #187
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post

From a one-night-stand to knitting.
You are witnessing the the power of the Internets.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #188
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I have absolutely nothing against non-readers. On the other hand, I get easily irritated by readers, meaning those "I'm better than you, because I read old difficult boring books and you read that easy modern best-selling stuff or nothing at all" type of readers.
Agree 100%. Snobbery is a huge turn off for me.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #189
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Well, I just read through all 13 pages of this thread, and I don't think anyone stated the obvious: A lack of bookshelves and gadgets does not automatically mean the guy didn't read. He might have borrowed books from the library. He might have bought books and not kept them after reading. He might have read magazines. He might have had books and bookcases in another room, or stored in boxes. Why the automatic assumption that he was a nonreader?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #190
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I don't deplore non-readers, only those who proudly proclaim that "I haven't read a book since I left school and I don't see the point in reading!" (or words to that effect). Of whom I've met a depressingly large number.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #191
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Well, I just read through all 13 pages of this thread, and I don't think anyone stated the obvious: A lack of bookshelves and gadgets does not automatically mean the guy didn't read. He might have borrowed books from the library. He might have bought books and not kept them after reading. He might have read magazines. He might have had books and bookcases in another room, or stored in boxes. Why the automatic assumption that he was a nonreader?
He was.
After I explained what a Kindle is, his response was; "Oh, I don't read".
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #192
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
He was.
After I explained what a Kindle is, his response was; "Oh, I don't read".
+1 for honesty? i wonder if he reads newspapers and magazines, though...

i know people who don't go much for traditional novels/fiction, but enjoy reading newspapers, magazines and books like reader's digest
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #193
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The whole idea about going home with a man 20 years my senior was my assumption that he would be more sophisticated, into intellectual pursuits, and perhaps not so hurried in dispensing corporal fluids as the normal crowd of 30+ers I encounter. Only the first point held true. Perhaps the pool of eligible bachelor's where I live is simply insufficient.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #194
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
The whole idea about going home with a man 20 years my senior was my assumption that he would be more sophisticated, into intellectual pursuits, and perhaps not so hurried in dispensing corporal fluids as the normal crowd of 30+ers I encounter. Only the first point held true. Perhaps the pool of eligible bachelor's where I live is simply insufficient.
You're looking in the wrong places

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #195
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Closest zoo is in a different country.
He does look daper though, even gives the impression of being a good listener. Quite the contrast to those that talk incessantly about themselves. Children of the curling parents, a bane for procreation.