Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Amazon "pretty much done" with Kindle DX

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/329...eaders-retired

They still are available at the website for now, though.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/329...eaders-retired

They still are available at the website for now, though.
Wasn't Amazon pretty much done with the DX when they brought out the DXG?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Wasn't Amazon pretty much done with the DX when they brought out the DXG?
It would seem so. There is nothing in the above article that indicates any actual change in the way Amazon is handling the DX.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The DXG is the same as the DX. The only difference is the screen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I bought my DXG last year after Thanksgiving, when it was down to $279 for a day or so. I purchased it on a whim, but ultimately, it is the reader I use during the day, when I am not in bed. I have it in a nice easel, and it sits on my kitchen table. When I have lunch or a cappuccino in the afternoon, it is the ereader I use. I'm sad it's not a popular Kindle, but I guess portability trumps larger pages.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I think what killed the DX is that the iPad was introduced shortly after the DX and it wasn't much more expensive than the DX.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I think what hurt it is they can't really offer it for textbooks because it's not fully usable by the disabled, causing them to be sued.

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6668651.html

I think that's the same reason text to speech never really went anywhere (and some say isn't even in the new paperwhatever kindle).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
This had to happen, but I am a little disappointed - I want to buy one but the price is too high to fit in my finances, still.

I don't clearly understand why this didn't succeed even half as much as its smaller siblings. Maybe if they drop the keyboard to make it smaller, sales might get a boost.

I think the combination of large sized reader + high price + thin profile (which makes it look susceptible to breaking) = scares off many potential buyers as the risk is pretty high? Maybe on a subconscious level.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I think that's the same reason text to speech never really went anywhere (and some say isn't even in the new paperwhatever kindle).
It's clearly stated in the comparison chart of the different Kindle models that the PW has no TTS. There's no "some say" about it .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I bought my DXG last year after Thanksgiving, when it was down to $279 for a day or so. I purchased it on a whim, but ultimately, it is the reader I use during the day, when I am not in bed. I have it in a nice easel, and it sits on my kitchen table. When I have lunch or a cappuccino in the afternoon, it is the ereader I use. I'm sad it's not a popular Kindle, but I guess portability trumps larger pages.
I love my DXG as well. It's one of the few gadgets I won't give away.
But: Lots of friends did ask me for advice, when going for their first eReader in the last 2 years or so.
And reaction to Kindle DXG, to my surprise, always was the same: Way too big. I don't need anything that size. Today I'm reading paper books. And even hard covers aren't much bigger. I want about the same or even smaller....

As you said: Portability seems to be key.

To me, this doesn't matter that much.
Yes, I love my Sony tablet P, as I really can take it everywhere.
And of course I usually have my iPhone with me.
But if I compare to this kind of mobility, 6" are way too big as well. I don't take a 5" or 6" reader with me when biking for example.
But when I take a reader with me, it's either in my house (reading in numerous places) or on a business trip or vacation. And then I really don't see a problem, taking DXG with me. I easily can put it in any bag or even in the very same sleeve as my MacBook Air. I guess, it's more a gut feeling than a real argument...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #11
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I sold mine after about 9 months of sporadic use because the placement of the single set of page turn buttons was uncomfortable for me, it never got much in the way of official firmware upgrades, and because Sony does PDF better.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I too bought a back-up DXG when it was on sale. If you read a lot of poetry/plays, etc. - content where stanza & line formatting and appearance is crucial - AND you want to read it on an eInk screen in reasonably sized fonts - the DXG is indispensable.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
I love the DX, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
This had to happen, but I am a little disappointed - I want to buy one but the price is too high to fit in my finances, still.

I don't clearly understand why this didn't succeed even half as much as its smaller siblings. Maybe if they drop the keyboard to make it smaller, sales might get a boost.
Prash, last year I bought a DX over the Black Friday weekend. It went on sale for $270, and I got the $29.99 case with it as well, making the whole package around $300.

The DX has a large, beautiful E Ink Pearl display, the build quality is amazing (pre-price war components), and the firmware is sufficient, but there is a better option today.

The Onyx Boox M92 is made by the up-and-coming Onyx company, based in Russia. This unit can be purchased brand new from a U.S. vendor on eBay. The firmware advances, Wacom touch screen, and open sourced format make this a much better buy than the DX for $389.
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I expect that Text to Speech adds cost, and if it doesn't increase sales, Amazon's not likely to include it in new models. I wonder if someone could create a Text to Speech app, that way, those who want it can still have it if they pay for it.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I expect that Text to Speech adds cost, and if it doesn't increase sales, Amazon's not likely to include it in new models. I wonder if someone could create a Text to Speech app, that way, those who want it can still have it if they pay for it.
TTS is not part of the new Kindle line up. I read an article that stated that the Kindle Keyboard is staying in the lineup because of this.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/a...icking-around/
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote