Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-01-2016, 01:55 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question differences between doc and books backgrounds

i have a new HDX 8.9 on which i Have some amazon books and some send-to-kindle books - that latter appear as documents but open in the book reader.

I use the tablet to read in landscape 2 column mode, green theme background

when I open a bought-from-amazon book, I see 2 columns of black text on a solid slab of green background
but when i open a a document e.g. a sent-to-kindle " book", that green background has a subtle shading which creates a 2 page effect with a faint centre seam, like an actual folded out book.

i actually prefer the " document " appearance rather than the "book" appearance, but it seems that I have no say in that - the device serves up what it deems best.

does anyone have any insight into how this works and how it can be worked around. I suppose I could reroute an amazon book via kindle for PC, de-drm with calibre plugin, convert to mobi, send-to-kindle .. to have it as a mobi format document but that seems a ridiculous palaver to have to go through just to force an alternative background effect.
I cannot see anything in the reader settings, - just the standard kindle options for text size, font, background colour etc...

i could try for screenshots if this makes no sense to other HDX owners
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:05 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
screenshot attached ( hopefully) showing the 2 page effect background, on a sent-to-kindle "book" - which is stored as goobledygook_pdoc.prc on the device

what i want to do is achieve this effect on actual purchased books.

I will now send this same book as azw via calibre & calibre companion to confirm that, when loaded as a book, I get only the plain "book" background. OOPS - that is NOT the case - I still get the 2 page effect - very puzzling

so let me attach a screenshot of an actual bought from amazon book to show the difference. and every " bought from amazon" book that I have checked has the plain background also.

I am now truly puzzled as to exactly what triggers the two different background options
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-01-08-49-07.png
Views:	317
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	149082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-01-09-07-27.png
Views:	360
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	149084  

Last edited by stumped; 06-01-2016 at 04:15 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert