Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Question Generic cover thumbnails

Hello all.

Since I usually carry less than 20 eBooks on my PRS-700 I prefer to have it in thumbnail mode, so that I can *see* the book covers for easy selection.

Within the last couple of months, after transferring ebooks to my PRS-700, the correct book cover is displayed momentarily and rather small, then quickly disappears and is replaced by a generic thumbnail, one showing the publisher's trademark, which is barely distinguishable from any other cover.

I am currently reading a sci-fi series, and the publisher hasn't changed, it is still Ballantine. The covers, even though they show correctly in the eBook Library, are not properly displayed on the reader.

Is this because the publisher doesn't have the proper "rights" to copy the cover or what?

Has anyone else noticed this or has this always been the case and I've just noticed it now.

Thanks. Wetdogeared

*edit*

These are all ebooks bought from the eBook Store in lrx format

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 11-20-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Ballantine ebooks I've bought from Fictionwise in Mobipocket format all had generic covers too. Luckily it's possible to replace them with a proper cover in Mobipocket.

When Sony switch over to ePub, you should be able to do the same.

As for why Ballantine (& other publishers) haven't done proper covers, I don't know - I would guess it's failure to secure the rights rather than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Hello all.

Since I usually carry less than 20 eBooks on my PRS-700 I prefer to have it in thumbnail mode, so that I can *see* the book covers for easy selection.

Within the last couple of months, after transferring ebooks to my PRS-700, the correct book cover is displayed momentarily and rather small, then quickly disappears and is replaced by a generic thumbnail, one showing the publisher's trademark, which is barely distinguishable from any other cover.

I am currently reading a sci-fi series, and the publisher hasn't changed, it is still Ballantine. The covers, even though they show correctly in the eBook Library, are not properly displayed on the reader.

Is this because the publisher doesn't have the proper "rights" to copy the cover or what?

Has anyone else noticed this or has this always been the case and I've just noticed it now.

Thanks. Wetdogeared

*edit*

These are all ebooks bought from the eBook Store in lrx format
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Ballantine ebooks I've bought from Fictionwise in Mobipocket format all had generic covers too. Luckily it's possible to replace them with a proper cover in Mobipocket.

When Sony switch over to ePub, you should be able to do the same.

As for why Ballantine (& other publishers) haven't done proper covers, I don't know - I would guess it's failure to secure the rights rather than anything else.
Thanks, I can deal with it after they go ePub.

The cover is in the file somewhere though, because it is briefly displayed.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote