Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #16
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui Neng View Post
1. This was a first for me too. And it put the final nail in the coffin of this product. Right now I am using only my Nook.
2. It was ok, I would say. They seem to make the best of a terrible situation. Yes, ereaderstore.
So did you send the whole reader or did you opened it up and send the battery?

So your M92 is usable now I suppose?
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #17
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
Well I bought the reader from you, I was one of the first that pre-ordered. I don't know what Software version it's got at the moment and I can't check it, but I did remember updating it when I got it back in April.

Will opening up the reader void the warranty?
Don't worry about warranty. If you just follow instructions here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178058
you can't do a lot of mistakes. Removing of battery is as easy as removing of battery of a smartphone. The battery is additionaly fixed by a doublesided adhesive tape. Just be careful and try to don't touch the PCB.

To send just the battery has a lot of advantages:
1. Shipping is cheap
2. Shipping is Fast (as Airmail just 3-4 days)
3. No need for custom clearance (save additional 5-10 days)

Please write in our contact form a message and I will send a replacement battery to you immediately.

Of a few thousand distributed devices we had to deal with case like your just a couple of times. Actually I had also to deal with same problem with my first ereader Sony PRS505 too. The old battery died after complete discharge.

For customer, who has got a problem with our products:
1. Before start a complaint in forum, Please, first contact our customer service - we are usually reacting immediately and could always help. We just can't monitor all threads in all forums and permanently look for users who got problems.
2. Please don't hesitate to upgrade the software regularly. Updates really prevents in a lot of cases problems like yours. The software is like a child - it needs some time to grow and become mature.

Last edited by Booxtor; 09-05-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #18
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
The software is like a child - it needs some time to grow and become mature.
Still, some people never grow up
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #19
Hui Neng
Ebookreader
Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Nook Simple Touch - Nook HD+
Quote:
So did you send the whole reader or did you opened it up and send the battery?

So your M92 is usable now I suppose?
I sent the whole reader, after that I sold it. So I guess someone use it, I suppose.
Just exchanging the battery seems to be a good idea.
Hui Neng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #20
bob_tm
Enthusiast
bob_tm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Onyx M92
Quote:
I haven't used my M92 for a while, so the screen was on "low battery, please charge", so I charged it, but after hours of charging, there is no way to wake it from the this screen.
This may not be very helpful, but since updating to 1.7 (2012.07.26). I've had 3 situations where the M92 hasn't gone into standby/sleep and the last page I read was still on the screen when coming back to it days later, but the M92 itself was unresponsive, even to reset. It was hard to wake it up on those occations - I had to charge for hours and then repeatedly attempting to reset it. It worked eventually though.

EDIT: Curious that mine has always stayed on the original PDF document rather than changing to a "low battery" page as power got low.

bob_tm

Last edited by bob_tm; 09-06-2012 at 02:59 AM.
bob_tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #21
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_tm View Post
This may not be very helpful, but since updating to 1.7 (2012.07.26). I've had 3 situations where the M92 hasn't gone into standby/sleep and the last page I read was still on the screen when coming back to it days later, but the M92 itself was unresponsive, even to reset. It was hard to wake it up on those occations - I had to charge for hours and then repeatedly attempting to reset it. It worked eventually though.

EDIT: Curious that mine has always stayed on the original PDF document rather than changing to a "low battery" page as power got low.

bob_tm
I think "low battery, please charge" is the stage after the phase you experienced.

So even after 1.7 update the issue still exists.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #22
bob_tm
Enthusiast
bob_tm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Onyx M92
Quote:
I think "low battery, please charge" is the stage after the phase you experienced.
I see - that makes sense in that I was able to recover by charging, while a fully discharged battery can't do this (boy am I glad I'm not responsible for having designed that charging circuit).

I've attributed the problem to having changed the power management setting (if I recall correctly) to 10/15mins interacting with some obscure beta-bug in 1.7, but it might be just a coincidence that I did not run into this problem before this change.

bob_tm
bob_tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #23
vvilmos
Connoisseur
vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.

Device: Onyx M92, K3
But an empty battery cannot be charged externally
(using any 5V AC source)?

V.
vvilmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #24
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvilmos View Post
But an empty battery cannot be charged externally
(using any 5V AC source)?
Since very low voltage can kill lithium batteries, they usually have some protection circuit inside that kicks in if the voltage drops under some threshold; if that happens you have to use a suitable charger.
While lithium batteries are relatively easy to charge, you CAN'T simply connect it to 5V: Youtube will be happy to show you exploding Li batteries, so please don't.

(I was looking for an explosion-related smile, but couldn't find one )
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #25
vvilmos
Connoisseur
vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post
Since very low voltage can kill lithium batteries, they usually have some protection circuit inside that kicks in if the voltage drops under some threshold; if that happens you have to use a suitable charger.
While lithium batteries are relatively easy to charge, you CAN'T simply connect it to 5V
I was thinking for a short time charge
just enough for the battery to be accepted by M92
(as a last resort).
Old 09-27-2012, 03:00 AM   #26
FinancialWar
Banned

I have received a replacement battery from Booxtor, everything works fine now.

I have also updated the firmware to 1.7 20120726, does this update mean that I am now safe from this flat battery?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #27
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have received a replacement battery from Booxtor, everything works fine now.

I have also updated the firmware to 1.7 20120726, does this update mean that I am now safe from this flat battery?

Hi,
glad to hear it has worked for you
Please don't throw away your old battery. I am sure we can revive it. If you want you can send it to me just as a letter (chose the cheapest way) and I will recharge it and send back.
With the updated software the battery management was improved, but sometimes unexpected things happen.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #28
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice13 View Post
In case a battery gets really exhausted (usually something stays on the screen) best for Boox is to use a 5V 1A charger (PC can be too week as the output amperage usualy is lower in PC USB), charge it for some hours - with PC on up to 10 - and then, while still on cable plugged to power source (!) reset your device.
It helps in 99,9% of the cases.
Battery gets properly formated.
You can find an USB charger 5V 1A in almost all your local electronics stores - cost approx 4,5 EUR including VAT.
It does not help in some cases, when the battery was completely discharged.
Special equipment is needed to revive the battery.
This is why we are working in our updates on better monitoring of battery and preventing too low charge.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #29
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I ended up several times with "totaly" empty batery in M92. Sometimes the screen showed message that battery is empty, sometimes looked like it works, seldomly there was only part of document displayed.

But I had never problem to charge again. I use 1A/5V USB charger. In 9 months of daily use I did hardware reset only once or twice, but I do not remember the reason. So, from my point of view the charging works OK and the only thing that should be improved is to switch M92 off sooner so that there is enought energy to display No energy message.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #30
vvilmos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I ended up several times with "totaly" empty batery in M92. Sometimes the screen showed message that battery is empty, sometimes looked like it works, seldomly there was only part of document displayed.

But I had never problem to charge again. I use 1A/5V USB charger. In 9 months of daily use I did hardware reset only once or twice, but I do not remember the reason. So, from my point of view the charging works OK and the only thing that should be improved is to switch M92 off sooner so that there is enought energy to display No energy message.
Do you use another charger? The original charger (delivered by ereader store) is exactly 1A/5V.