Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #16
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I don't know of any other ebook readers that will allow you to read books from the library. The books I see in my library are in Mobipocket and Adobe format. None of the ebook readers can accommodate Adobe DRMed books and the Cybook is the only reader (I think) that can read DRMed Mobipocket books.

I suppose you could get her a pocket pc instead - I am able to read the DRMed Adobe and Mobipocket books I check out the library on my Pocket PC, but I am more comfortable reading for extended periods of time on my Cybook.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #17
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

I opened my email this morning and received an email from Bookeen that lays out the procedure to fix the time on my Cybook so I can read time sensitive library books on it. I will follow the procedure Bookeen laid out and then check a book out of the library to see if it resolves the problem and post back later today.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it does, please share the procedure with us!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I don't know of any other ebook readers that will allow you to read books from the library. The books I see in my library are in Mobipocket and Adobe format. None of the ebook readers can accommodate Adobe DRMed books and the Cybook is the only reader (I think) that can read DRMed Mobipocket books.

I suppose you could get her a pocket pc instead - I am able to read the DRMed Adobe and Mobipocket books I check out the library on my Pocket PC, but I am more comfortable reading for extended periods of time on my Cybook.
iLiad supports DRM'd mobipocket ebooks.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
iLiad supports DRM'd mobipocket ebooks.

Dale
True, but does it support the specific type of date-limited DRM that libraries use? I'm not sure whether it does or not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True, but does it support the specific type of date-limited DRM that libraries use? I'm not sure whether it does or not.
It has a clock so I would be surprised if it didn't. I was answering the original comment that only Cybook could read mobipocket eBooks which was a wrong statement.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #22
ProfJulie
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It has a clock so I would be surprised if it didn't. I was answering the original comment that only Cybook could read mobipocket eBooks which was a wrong statement.Dale
Thanks for the clarification. I don't know much about the ILiad so I appreciate the correction. I'd think that since the ILiad supports DRM Mobipocket books and has a clock that one could read library books on it. I don't know that the DRM on library books is much different than regular DRM except it has been modified to include a "time bomb." FWIW, I am able to read library books on my Pocket PC.

I'll perform the Bookeen procedure this afternoon and post the results, along with the detailed steps here.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 03-17-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #23
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I don't know much about the ILiad so I appreciate the correction. I'd think that since the ILiad supports DRM Mobipocket books and has a clock that one could read library books on it. I don't know that the DRM on library books is much different than regular DRM except it has been modified to include a "time bomb." FWIW, I am able to read library books on my Pocket PC.

I'll perform the Bookeen procedure this afternoon and post the results, along with the detailed steps here.
Thank you. I'm sure that many people who'd like access to time-limited ebooks from their local libraries will appreciate the information.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #24
ProfJulie
Evangelist

It works!

I just performed the procedure and checked some books out the library. It works!

There was nothing in Bookeen's email that stated that it was confidential and so I'll post the email in its entirety and the file they sent me (I include the .dat file in a zip format - you'll need to unzip the file first):
Dear Customer,

The Cybook does have an internal clock and the library borrowing system is supported.
Here is a small manual procedure to fix your issue.
This should take a couple of minutes.

1) Save the attached text file “rtc.dat” on your computer. It contains the current date/time in the “YYYY-MM-DD-hh:mm” 24h format.
2) Plug your Cybook to your computer through USB and delete all time bomb ebooks from your library (files initially transferred from your public library).
3) Copy the “rtc.dat” file to the Cybook “/system” folder.
4) Unplug your Cybook.
5) When you are back on the “Library”, switch off your Cybook.
6) Switch on your Cybook.
7) Plug the USB cable again and copy your public library titles to the Cybook (or to the SD card) “/eBooks” folder.
8) By the way, you can check that the “rtc.dat” was automatically deleted (i.e. taken into account) from the “/system” folder.
9) Unplug, when you are back on the “Library”, you should be able to open the public library titles.

Please keep us informed (if it works or if you have an error message)…

This should be a one time procedure to set your system date which will stay coherent thanks to the internal clock battery.
Of course, in a future upgrade, you will be able to define the system date from the user interface.

Best regards,
Bookeen Support Team
Attached Files
File Type: zip rtc.zip (128 Bytes, 535 views)
Old 03-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #25
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The only thing slightly unusual about rc.dat is no \n at the end of the line:
Quote:
file rtc.dat
rtc.dat: ASCII text, with no line terminators
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #26
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
RTC update

Thanks for posting the file and the instructions! As soon as I get my local library ebook account, I'll try it out, here in Sacramento, CA.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The only thing slightly unusual about rc.dat is no \n at the end of the line:
In that case, I think the best thing to do is get a hex editor to edit the file so you don't have to worry about adding a line terminator.

It's currently set to 2008-03-17 12:00
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In that case, I think the best thing to do is get a hex editor to edit the file so you don't have to worry about adding a line terminator.

It's currently set to 2008-03-17 12:00
Or just edit in in emacs or any other editor i would have thought. But maybe in Windows text editors cannot edit a file without adding line terminator or?

I seriously doubt it matters.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given all the problems I've been reading about, I'd not want to risk it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #30
ProfJulie
Evangelist

I don't know why you'd want to edit the file at all? It works fine just as it is.