Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
HardBall
Edge User

Question Moving library

Hello, again, everyone;

I've just received my new SDHC card in the mail today, and started to move the library contents to the SD card. The process so far has taken over 6 hours, is that a normal occurrence? And it doesn't seem to show any sign of stopping anytime soon. Any suggestions?

-HB

Old 01-11-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
Dr. T
Edge User

I did the same thing a few weeks ago, and the whole process, if I recall correctly, took less than ten minutes... I'm not sure what to suggest.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:55 AM   #3
HardBall
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
I did the same thing a few weeks ago, and the whole process, if I recall correctly, took less than ten minutes... I'm not sure what to suggest.
Hey thanks for letting me know; I guess the next question would be what are the risks of ending this process and restarting again, would the data still be there?

Anyone?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
Dr. T
Edge User

That was the question running through my head, too. Have you recently backed up your library? If so, then the risk seem (to me) to be minimal, though I'd check with Tech Support or one of the more savvy Forum-ers first.

Also, where are you in the process? Has the EE rebooted already?

I read through the EE documentation and the previous posts on library migration, and I don't see anything too relevant. Boris did mention that only the library gets migrated, so I guess you shouldn't have to worry about losing anything but your data (as though that isn't a huge problem :/ ) Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:06 AM   #5
HardBall
Edge User

Quote:
That was the question running through my head, too. Have you recently backed up your library? If so, then the risk seem (to me) to be minimal, though I'd check with Tech Support or one of the more savvy Forum-ers first.

Also, where are you in the process? Has the EE rebooted already?

I read through the EE documentation and the previous posts on library migration, and I don't see anything too relevant. Boris did mention that only the library gets migrated, so I guess you shouldn't have to worry about losing anything but your data (as though that isn't a huge problem :/ ) Good luck, and let us know what happens.
Thanks for the suggestions;

The actual ebooks and pdfs and other forms of data all exist somewhere else with a number of copies, as I use dropbox. Although what I worry about is losing the annotations and other information surrounding the data.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #6
Dr. T
Edge User

I'm at a loss for what more to suggest. If you have recently backed up the library to the SD card or online, you should be fine.... otherwise, I'm not sure.

Does the EE give any indication of what it is doing at this point (eg, rebooting, migrating the library, purposefully trying to freak you out, etc.)? Did you format the SD card prior to inserting it? Just some thoughts...

Again, good luck. I hope someone else can give you some better/more info than I did.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
HardBall
Edge User

Quote:
I'm at a loss for what more to suggest. If you have recently backed up the library to the SD card or online, you should be fine.... otherwise, I'm not sure.

Does the EE give any indication of what it is doing at this point (eg, rebooting, migrating the library, purposefully trying to freak you out, etc.)? Did you format the SD card prior to inserting it? Just some thoughts...

Again, good luck. I hope someone else can give you some better/more info than I did.
I think the edge recognized the SD card and the file structure fine on startup, as a standard android device does. I don't have the library itself backed up, actually, I didn't know that we could do that. The individual documents are backed up on different media and in dropbox.

I think it's at this screen "Moving your library... \\ Please don't turn off your enTourage eDGe" screen for hours now, with the ribbon animation as during updates.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #8
kenjennings
Edge User

Time to contact Tech Support.

This process doesn't take long. Were there any apps running when you started it? Maybe a program has a file locked preventing something in the library from moving. (Just a silly guess.)

Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #9
HardBall
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
Time to contact Tech Support.

This process doesn't take long. Were there any apps running when you started it? Maybe a program has a file locked preventing something in the library from moving. (Just a silly guess.)
Thanks, I already did (late last night / very early this morning), here:
https://www.entourageedge.com/custom...1272&id=206853
I don't think there should be any other program accessing these files, except the library, reader and journal, right? Plus, the eDGe appears to reboot into a mode similar to when doing updates, so the apps do not appear to be running. I wish that the process actually contains some CLI readouts, instead of just a screen that tells me that it's moving the lib and not to turn it off. I could probably diagnose it myself, if it had any visible means of communicating what actions it performs at certain times.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBall View Post
I think the edge recognized the SD card ....
Strange behaviour. Did you check your new SDcard on the eDGe before you tried to move the library? Some members mentioned trubble with their card. When I moved the library it only took a few minutes to move. Hope Tech Support can help you without losing your annotations. (And the more reason to keep a backup of the library.)

Old 01-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
HardBall
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrel View Post
Strange behaviour. Did you check your new SDcard on the eDGe before you tried to move the library? Some members mentioned trubble with their card. When I moved the library it only took a few minutes to move. Hope Tech Support can help you without losing your annotations. (And the more reason to keep a backup of the library.)
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not sure what you mean by "check", but the eDGe recognized the card and "prepared" it (I assume it meant formatting, or writing some file structure), and when the move started, lost.dir was the only visible folder within the SD card. The card I have is Sandisk Ultra 16, and I haven't found any member complaining about this type of card before.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "check"....
Did you for instance copy a file to the card and did that work? In other words: did the eDGe worked with your card or did you try to move the library to a blanc and unused card? I ask this because it was mentioned in the forum that in the past cards were not always properly formatted. So before moving the library (an importent oparation) I suggest to check if the eDGe really is confortable with the SDcard. (Sorry if my English isn't very clear. It's not my native language. I just try to find the right words)

Old 01-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not sure what you mean by "check", but the eDGe recognized the card and "prepared" it (I assume it meant formatting, or writing some file structure), and when the move started, lost.dir was the only visible folder within the SD card. The card I have is Sandisk Ultra 16, and I haven't found any member complaining about this type of card before.
What you describe here is, to me, indicative of a fully-functioning card. When I had trouble with mine, the EE wouldn't even recognize it.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
HardBall
Edge User

Just want to report back; with the help of an EE engineer, the problem has large been resolved.

Vast majority of the information was recovered without a problem. A few glitches existed due to some incomplete copying of some file structures.

The original problem seemed just to be a one-off error that occurred very rarely in the 1.11 build, which should not be normally expected. When we tried it a second time on the exact same sd card all other conditions being the same, the move process completed without an issue. So as long as the library content and settings are backed up in the future, there shouldn't be a problem with anyone trying perform the move.

Thanks again to Dr. T, kenjennings, and sjerrel for the helpful hints. And I have to say that the customer service of Entourage has been impeccable so far, better than any other company that I have dealt with.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #15
Dr. T
Edge User

I am very glad to hear it worked out as well as it did...