Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-02-2007, 03:09 AM   #1
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

Quick resume some clear answers....

I am on the verge of letting my Illiad go, i would like a clear answer on this subject.

Will it ever be possible to have the quick resume that we see on the Sony Reader, i read stop start, when and where i can. For me a device that you can put down and pick up is key which is why i am strongly considering abandoning the Iliad for the Sony device.

If it may be possible in further firmwares i might hang on, if the hardware will never allow it then i might as well let it go.

Mark
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
I think this should answer your questions:

http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=611

See Daniels post
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2007, 04:27 AM   #3
markiehill
Connoisseur

Thanks Karel,

I have read the entire thread, and whilst Daniels post is interesting you leave a lot unanswered on this thread.

Are there possible workarounds such as suspend to RAM ?, what about leaving the last page read on the Iliad screen so that we can pick it up and carry on reading whilst its restarting ?

I think a statement that says that some of this stuff is being considered would at least put my mind more at rest with regards to hanging on for another firmware release or two.

Even if you had a public & honest to do list that we could see progress on and very very rough expected dates then perhaps it would convince a few that defecting to another platform is not an option. I see a lot of good ideas discussed on these forums with very little response.

Also your expected battery life figures do not seem to take into account switching off and restarting which seems to hammer the battery life as far as i can tell, i def do not get 10 hours of read time with this approach.

I understand with limited resources you dont want to spend hours on these and your own forums explaining every design detail, but i think that the level of engagement with experienced end users (some of whom are developers themselves, including me) would be beneficial to the community and to Irex.

Mark
Old 02-02-2007, 06:19 AM   #4
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiehill
Are there possible workarounds such as suspend to RAM ?
The hardware was not designed to be able to suspend (or hibernate) to flash or RAM.

Quote:
what about leaving the last page read on the Iliad screen so that we can pick it up and carry on reading whilst its restarting ?
I think technically this is not a problem, however leaving an image displayed for a very long time might cause a slight burn in.

Quote:
Even if you had a public & honest to do list that we could see progress on and very very rough expected dates then perhaps it would convince a few that defecting to another platform is not an option. I see a lot of good ideas discussed on these forums with very little response.
Many of the ideas voiced on our forum and other forums are often already on our planning or have been added to it.

Our response has indeed been limited and we intend to change this, however you have to understand that apart from confirming that a feature is on our to do list, we can only give updates on what to expect in the next release.

Quote:
I think that the level of engagement with experienced end users (some of whom are developers themselves, including me) would be beneficial to the community and to Irex.
I agree and you can expect some changes here in the near future
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:05 AM   #5
markiehill
Connoisseur

thanks for all this information, it has helped me come to a decision.

I will look forward to this new era of information sharing then

Mark
Advert