Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
North Sydney Restaurant Replaces Menus with iPads

The Global Mundo Tapas restaurant has replaced its' menus with iPads. According to the article, patrons can browse the entire virtual menu and see pictures of the food as well as get recommendations for complementary wine. The iPad sends the order back to the kitchen and the back end database keeps track of stock as well so if something is sold out it automatically gets removed from the menu.

This is just the beginning. In the near future I can see the tablet devices replacing paper forms that are filled out in places municipal and doctor's offices.

Any thoughts?

Source: Restaurant Replaces Menus with iPads
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
That's a very cool use of the iPad althopugh I have to wonder how the devices will stand-up to all that handling in an environment fraught with liquid hazards
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
That's a very cool use of the iPad althopugh I have to wonder how the devices will stand-up to all that handling in an environment fraught with liquid hazards
I guess that you would have to see a statistic for how many times liquid is spilled on a restaurant table.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Esprit View Post
I guess that you would have to see a statistic for how many times liquid is spilled on a restaurant table.
All I know is that with me in the restaurant the average would go way up
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
And, wow...how are they going to police the customers to make sure no one walks out with one?!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
Lotus Esprit
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
And, wow...how are they going to police the customers to make sure no one walks out with one?!
Seeing how most establishments only have a front door that patron's walk in and out of it isn't going to be that hard.

They will probably have a sensor that goes off if the iPad goes past it.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
Caleb
Voracious eReader
Caleb began at the beginning.

Did anyone else see the article on engadget (might gave been gizmodo) of the bacteria counts they found on the iPad test units at the NYC Apple Store?

Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Esprit View Post
They will probably have a sensor that goes off if the iPad goes past it.
Ah, good point. Just seems an awful expensive gimmick! But who knows, maybe those printed menus are more expensive than they look.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Lotus Esprit
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Did anyone else see the article on engadget (might gave been gizmodo) of the bacteria counts they found on the iPad test units at the NYC Apple Store?

Why would you find less bacteria on a traditional menu? At least you can clean the iPad. How many restaurants clean their regular menus?
Old 06-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Course the patron needs to be familiar on operating an iPad and it's still pretty new, especially out of the US. Wondering if this the the beginning of an Urban legend?

-----------------------

I get my iPad wallpapers from pictures I have downloaded to my iPad

Last edited by MsAstoria; 06-10-2010 at 06:46 PM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater
Ah, good point. Just seems an awful expensive gimmick! But who knows, maybe those printed menus are more expensive than they look
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Course the patron needs to be familiar on operating an iPad and it's still pretty new, especially out of the US. Wondering if this the the beginning of an Urban legend?
Quite a few restaurants have already played the high-tech angle over the years, and it wouldn't surprise me if buying a few dozen iPads and coding up a simple app was cheaper than e.g. the e-table approach of projectors and touchpads (as used at Inamo for the last couple of years).

It's almost certainly more flexible and simpler to maintain since nothing is fixed to the tables or ceilings, they're just interchangeable wireless devices.
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

The first time a four year old picks it up and it crashes to the floor, they will see the folly of their experiment.....

Heck, the first time a klutz like me picks it up and ...............
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
They'll have to hire a full-time staff member just to wipe down the screens in between customers. Love my iPad, but man does that screen get greasy quick. Even when you're not eating!
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
New iPad Restaurant Ordering Program Launched

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/New-iP....html?x=0&.v=1

Quote:
-orderTalk, Inc., the leading provider of on-demand software and service solutions to the restaurant industry for online ordering, has announced the launch of a new program allowing servers and guests to place food orders while in line or right from the table through an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch.

Now available for quick service and full service restaurants, the proprietary ordering platform is downloaded as an application for servers or for patrons. Already in use, the program replaces hand-held terminals and allows servers to take table and in-store orders on an iPad. The orders are then sent directly to the point of sale or a ticket printer in the kitchen, which eliminates errors and allows for quicker, more efficient service.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What? No tables with touch-sensitive LCD tabletops?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote