Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #106
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I would like to just use the credit card but it wont accept it for buying ebooks (but did to buy the gift card). I am using the alwaysVPN for the complete transaction. The amounts have been deducted from the gift cards, and the books appear in the PC and iphone BN reader but it wont allow me to download them as I havent verified the credit card! Yet the same credit card allowed me to buy the gift cards in the first place. BN sent me this stupid email saying I can only read them on a BN reader. Duh, I know that, but even the BN reader cant read them. And I have put a US address to the credit card as well. Maybe they have stopped this? My IP address shows I am in New York.
A bit late, but I did not see your post earlier.
The B&N DRM uses your credit card number and name to encrypt the books when they are downloaded. For this to work you need to register a credit card as default credit card in your account. You have registered the credit card in your account, but you probably have not made it the default credit card of the account yet. Because of this the books cannot be downloaded.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #107
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Must we have a credit card # even for epub files? I thought that was only for the PDB files? I am sorry I bought a nook if this is true. Maybe I should sell it and get a Kobo reader.
Pei
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #108
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
Must we have a credit card # even for epub files? I thought that was only for the PDB files? I am sorry I bought a nook if this is true. Maybe I should sell it and get a Kobo reader.
Pei
B&N uses the ereader (PDB) DRM also for their epub books. They have licensed this DRM to Adobe.
The B&N DRM is a lot better than the regular Adobe adept DRM. No online server needed, no device limits.
The Nook can also read Adobe adept DRM epub files.
Why would this be a reason to sell the Nook and buy the Kobo reader?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #109
abjdiat
Enthusiast
abjdiat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
B&N uses the ereader (PDB) DRM also for their epub books. They have licensed this DRM to Adobe.
The B&N DRM is a lot better than the regular Adobe adept DRM. No online server needed, no device limits.
The Nook can also read Adobe adept DRM epub files.
Why would this be a reason to sell the Nook and buy the Kobo reader?
B&N store uses DRMed PDB format for most books although I heard EPUB will the default in the future, anyway,the prices of their store is the highest ,,, with many stupid geographical restrictions not seen with Kobobooks or Amazon or any other e-books stores ..

As International Nook user, I found the device amazing and capable but B&N store and customer service the worst part...

thanx god the Nook supports adobe adept DRM and we can purchase books from other stores..
abjdiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #110
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjdiat View Post
B&N store uses DRMed PDB format for most books although I heard EPUB will the default in the future, anyway,the prices of their store is the highest ,,, with many stupid geographical restrictions not seen with Kobobooks or Amazon or any other e-books stores ..
If you download on the Nook or with the B&N PC Reader you will usually get an Epub file. If you download from the website or on other devices you will get an PDB file (because that is more compatible with the B&N reader on other devices).

The agency 5 publishers have forced all bookstores to use fixed prices that may not be discounted. So the books of these 5 big publishers are this expensive everywhere, not just at B&N. So for most books B&N is not more expensive than other bookstores.

The publishers have forced bookstores to implement geographic restrictions. Every store has these restrictions.
One way the Kindle store gets around this is by offering UK editions to European Kindle readers.
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #111
abjdiat
Enthusiast
abjdiat began at the beginning.

Quote:
If you download on the Nook or with the B&N PC Reader you will usually get an Epub file. If you download from the website or on other devices you will get an PDB file (because that is more compatible with the B&N reader on other devices).

The agency 5 publishers have forced all bookstores to use fixed prices that may not be discounted. So the books of these 5 big publishers are this expensive everywhere, not just at B&N. So for most books B&N is not more expensive than other bookstores.

The publishers have forced bookstores to implement geographic restrictions. Every store has these restrictions.
One way the Kindle store gets around this is by offering UK editions to European Kindle readers.
thank you very much for the information, PDB format is good with the Nook, but EPUB is much better, it's good to know B&N giving the choice which format to download

I'm aware of the Agency model affect on e-book prices , but that doesn't apply for all e-books, for example , I purchased Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs from B&N using VPN for 8.99$ (same price as Amazon), the weird thing, Kobobooks selling the same book for 7.79$ !,
I think B&N uses Amazon's prices as a standard, which works fine with them ...

one more thing, where I live there is no publishers having the rights of books I wanna read, and disguising the IP with American one does the trick with b&N although the payment mastercard I use is international, my point is, ebook stores want to sell , but forcing international customer to use workarounds to avoid any legal hassles with publishers ...
abjdiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #112
nakita002
nakita002 began at the beginning.

WHat r all u international buyers doing about the warranty? Thats what putting me off buying it. What if its defective? Ive read a lot of stories!
nakita002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #113
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakita002 View Post
WHat r all u international buyers doing about the warranty? Thats what putting me off buying it. What if its defective? Ive read a lot of stories!
If the Nook must be replaced you will have to send it to the USA, and let B&N return it to your USA mail forwarding address. That is the risk you take.
But the Nook is only a small parcel, so shipping should not be too expensive.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #114
Vin Scully
Vin Scully began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hello everyone, I'm new to this whole ebook thing and I was wondering are there any sites were you can buy epub books no matter where you are in the world and no matter were your credit card is from? Or do you have to go to different sites based on what country you are in? Basically I just need to know if there's at least one site were I can always buy epub books for my nook wether I'm in Europe, South America, the US or wherever (without having to resort to any sort of hacking or other trickery). Thanks in advance.
Vin Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #115
jeffgard
jeffgard began at the beginning.

Angry nook international

Living in UK have bought Nook and have a b& n account - but cannot register. Any theories that exclude dismantling devive ?
Jeff Gardener
jeffgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #116
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgard View Post
Living in UK have bought Nook and have a b& n account - but cannot register. Any theories that exclude dismantling devive ?
Jeff Gardener
Do have have software version 1.2 or 1.3? In the versions before 1.2 registering using Wifi did not work.

You do have a working Wifi connection?

You need an USA address in your account. You also have to use that address as the credit card billing address. You must also make that credit card the default credit card.

Last edited by geertm; 05-15-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:15 AM   #117
jeffgard
jeffgard began at the beginning.

nook international

[Fuzzy
Have a Nook but resident in UK so no go for nook use. Will support a petition for internatilonal usage however Barnes etc have been most unhelpful in giving me a solution so will also help to give bad press over here ( UK). Personally I am contacting friends in US to register my Nook over there. Will not, under any circumstances be using the Barnes book store.
Please keep informed and good luck
JeffG
jeffgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:47 AM   #118
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgard View Post
[Fuzzy
Have a Nook but resident in UK so no go for nook use. Will support a petition for internatilonal usage however Barnes etc have been most unhelpful in giving me a solution so will also help to give bad press over here ( UK). Personally I am contacting friends in US to register my Nook over there. Will not, under any circumstances be using the Barnes book store.
Please keep informed and good luck
JeffG
Several people like me on this forum have registered their Nook just fine using Wifi outside the USA.
This is not a Nook problem, but probably something in your account that is not correct.
What error message do you get when you try to register?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #119
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Several people like me on this forum have registered their Nook just fine using Wifi outside the USA.
This is not a Nook problem, but probably something in your account that is not correct.
What error message do you get when you try to register?
Same here. Germany, no problems with registering.
First, I've set the clock manually via ADB and then have been able to register.
In the meatime, thanks to firmware updates and softroot, this step isn't necessary anymore and registering is way more comfortable.
I've purchased lots of books from B&N via VPN on PC, so my account definitely is working.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #120
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
This week I received a Nook device in Spain with 1.2 firmware. After configuring my home wifi, I could register it in my existent B&N account. Then it downloaded and installed 1.3 firmware automatically.

I can do practically all with the Nook in Store/Daily (like receive samples) except purchase, that I have to do in my PC via AlwaysVPN. I can download the purchased book from Nook without problem.

I have a Spanish credit card but in B&N I've put my MyUS address in both card and home address.

Things I don't like of my Nook are I cannot search in my personal documents (then having more than 20/30 books seems impractical) and battery duration.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas