Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sony Reader first hand reports

It's been 4 days since the US release of the Pocket Edition and Touch Edition. Now seemed like a good time to gather the early reports into one place. A fair number of MR members who have purchased one of the new Sony readers. We also know of a hands on video.

PRS-300 hands on review (by MR member DRMoze)
PRS-700/PRS-600 side by side (by MR member Wetdogeared)
PRS-600 hands on video (Thanks, Mobile Tech Review)
PRS-600 with lots of pictures (by MR member DougFNJ)
PRS-600 (by MR member cjs603)
PRS-600 unboxing ( by MR member afsandiego)
comments on the PRS-600 PDF zoom (by davidspitzer)

P.S. We also know of a video of the New York press event:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...363#post568363
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I have also posted a short video review of the PRS-300 on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL4yvoD8qRU
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Just to add my 2 cents (and believe me that's really all their worth ), I went to the Sony Style store in Tyson's Corner, Virginia this afternoon with every intention of purchasing the Touch Edition Reader (600). Unfortunately, they were all sold out. I spoke with the manager (because I had called on Thursday and was told I didn't need to worry that they had plenty in stock so that if I got there Saturday morning, I would definitely get one). He explained that stores everywhere were sold out and that they were even on backorder if you tried to order them online. They had asked for more Readers when they first got them in but were completely surprised by the overwhelming response for the 600, selling their entire stock in 2 days. They still had plenty of 300's in stock, as most everyone coming in was asking for the 600. I even had to wait in line just to view the display model of the 600 that they kept behind the counter. They only had the black 600 on display, so I wasn't able to do any comparisons with the silver or red 600's.

As to my impression of the 600, the display is noticeably sharper than that of the 700 and nearly as sharp as that of the 505's display. The text color on the 700 could be described as a medium gray where as the text on the 600 is a very definite dark gray, although calling it black would be a stretch. There is still some glare, but not anywhere near as significant as that of the 700. The lighting in the store varies a bit due to overhead lighting, spotlights, etc., and I was able to move the reader around into the different areas to see how much improvement there really is with the 600 compared to the 700. There were times when I had to move the 700 quite a bit to reduce the glare but did not have to move the 600 at all. The gap between the touch screen and the eink display is noticeably reduced which makes for a much clearer display. There is still some glare with the 600, but nothing like the 700.

At first comparison, the actual screen size looks smaller than the screen on the 700 thanks to the 700's gray border. It took a little getting used to, but in the long run I liked the display better without the gray band. The over all size of the device is smaller, but the only thing you are actually losing is the side "wedge" on the right of the device which I guess was there to give the illusion of book pages.

The big difference for me, besides the really slick dictionary look-up , was the reduction in the number of keys at the bottom of the device. They've removed the [Back or Previous] and [Search] keys. The [Search] key has been incorporated in the [Option] key menu but the [Back or Previous] key function has been completely eliminated. I very rarely used the search function but frequently used the previous screen function. What it means for me is that instead of going from the current book I'm reading to the list of books, I have to push the [Home] key and then the "Books" list. It may not seem like that big of a concession, but I was already missing the "Last" functionality of my EBW 1150. I understand why Sony got rid of the light and because the search functionality has pretty much been incorporated in the dictionary look-up (although you can still key in a search phrase) so a separate button wasn't necessary, but the same can't be said for the previous function.

The neoprene cover is nice, I guess. It looks just like the cover that came with my Asus Netbook. I did try the 600 with my leather M-Edge cover and it fits but there is a little movement, more than I would be comfortable with were I to carry my reader around in it. I'm sure the covers that fit the 505 will fit the 600 just fine.

Bottom line: because the display clarity is so much better and with the dictionary look-up functionality, the 600 is a big improvement over the 700. I am heading over to Sony to put my order in ASAP!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The 600 looks very promising, quick dictionary lookups look handy. I am really hanging for a touch screen device like my iPhone as a large screen reader, it looks like Sony might be the first to the gate, but not in this iteration.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Bottom line: because the display clarity is so much better and with the dictionary look-up functionality, the 600 is a big improvement over the 700. I am heading over to Sony to put my order in ASAP!
Nice review Kaz! I am tempted by the 600, but I am going to wait for the Daily Edition for my next upgrade.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
They had asked for more Readers when they first got them in but were completely surprised by the overwhelming response for the 600, selling their entire stock in 2 days. They still had plenty of 300's in stock, as most everyone coming in was asking for the 600.
Thanks Kaz!
Surprisingly, the 600 could make more sales than the cheap mass market 300 ?!
Apparently, Sony had planned things differently.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Just to add my 2 cents (and believe me that's really all their worth ), I went to the Sony Style store in Tyson's Corner, Virginia this afternoon with every intention of purchasing the Touch Edition Reader (600). Unfortunately, they were all sold out. I spoke with the manager (because I had called on Thursday and was told I didn't need to worry that they had plenty in stock so that if I got there Saturday morning, I would definitely get one). He explained that stores everywhere were sold out . . .
Hmmm, I wonder if the store manager was being less than truthful. According to this thread, Sony recalled the 600s from all stores due to a missing warranty card:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55043
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
I had the same thing happen. I called on my way to the store to confirm they had inventory available. 1 hour later when I arrived, I was told they were out. When I pressed they explained about the hold or recall or whatever....
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessirrom View Post
I had the same thing happen. I called on my way to the store to confirm they had inventory available. 1 hour later when I arrived, I was told they were out. When I pressed they explained about the hold or recall or whatever....
I think I'll give the Sony Store in Tysons a call and see if this was the case. If it is, I'm going to read them the riot act. I would prefer the truth to spin! Of course, that doesn't mean I won't purchase the 600. As I've already established in another thread, I really am a Sony Whore.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I think I'll give the Sony Store in Tysons a call and see if this was the case. If it is, I'm going to read them the riot act.
You'll find it here, just in case you don't have a copy to hand.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I think I'll give the Sony Store in Tysons a call and see if this was the case. If it is, I'm going to read them the riot act. I would prefer the truth to spin! Of course, that doesn't mean I won't purchase the 600. As I've already established in another thread, I really am a Sony Whore.
If you go there, get some lunch at Neisha Thai and send me the leftovers. kthnx :P

I'm heading over to Borders today in hopes they will have them in stock. I'm not sure if they will or not though, I think they had a later arrival date.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
If you go there, get some lunch at Neisha Thai and send me the leftovers. kthnx :P
Mmmm. Thai Big Boy!
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
I'm heading over to Borders today in hopes they will have them in stock. I'm not sure if they will or not though, I think they had a later arrival date.
When I went to my local Borders yesterday, they didin't have any of the new models, just a display with the 700's and a few 700's for sale. They did have a sign saying you could pre-order the 300's and 600's.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:

Lilac, I looked at Borders.com and it indicates that the Readers will only be available online. My daughter's friend works at a local Borders and as soon as I get ahold of her (she's always working and doesn't answer her cellphone at work), I'll try to get the scoop from her.

Oh, and I'm not much for Thai food but really want to go back to try the Tuscany grill!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #15
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Lilac, I looked at Borders.com and it indicates that the Readers will only be available online. My daughter's friend works at a local Borders and as soon as I get ahold of her (she's always working and doesn't answer her cellphone at work), I'll try to get the scoop from her.

Oh, and I'm not much for Thai food but really want to go back to try the Tuscany grill!
I stopped by my local Borders last week and as I walked up they had a huge poster in the window advertising the prs-700 Sony reader. I assumed they would have some but they didn't even have any 700's left.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote