Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Goodbye for now

My mother just recently lost her year-long battle with lung cancer. I've been her caregiver, her child, and sometimes her parent as the disease took hold. She passed away quietly Saturday evening, and the funeral is tomorrow.

So why goodbye?

I've found that I can no longer enjoy MobileRead. A few acrimonious posters are getting to me in a way that they never would have before, and I'm tired of it. I really don't need the extra stress. So congrats guys, and you know who you are, you chased me away good and proper. I hope it makes you happy, and it makes me sad that it probably will.

I may come back, I may not, we'll see.

Carl

PS: And thanks to all the wonderful folks here whom I've had very positive interactions with.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm really sorry to hear that I hope that you find yourself in a better place soon.

Best wishes in this tough time, and I'm sorry for your loss.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Very very sad news. I hope you soon, (as I am sure you will), begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel after the very difficult year you have obviously had.

Certainly mine, if not all of our thoughts are with you and will be pleased to hear from you when you decide it is time.

Ir con dios.

Last edited by columbus; 07-28-2009 at 11:06 AM.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You must have had a very hard year. I hope you have friends or family close by to help in the coming months.

Best wishes, and I hope to see you back here someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
My mother just recently lost her year-long battle with lung cancer. I've been her caregiver, her child, and sometimes her parent as the disease took hold. She passed away quietly Saturday evening, and the funeral is tomorrow.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I am sorry for your loss, as well as our loss of you. You will be welcomed back whenever you feel like catching up with old friends. In the meantime, hold tight to friends and family and let them comfort you. May God's blessings be with you in the days and weeks to come.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I'm sorry for your loss, Carld. Give yourself time to grieve.

You will get thru this. God Bless.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
All things pass. It has been 32 years since my Mother died and the memories are still there, just a little past the present. Life does go on and new challenges arise. When things come round again and life gets a bit more sane I do hope you will come back and at least visit. Your contributions will be missed.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
I am sorry to hear the sad news. I pray for you strength and comfort to bring you to a better place than you find yourself in right now. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and we'll be here for you when you decide to return.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Carl, I don't presume to know how you feel. Although I have "been there", my experience suggests that those who have been there also know that it's different for everyone.

In 2003 my father finally succumbed to prostate cancer. We spent his last 10 days in hospital with him (and to the nurses and staff of Lingard Hospital...you are the only angels I know), barely sleeping, and often as not when we did on lino floors or semi-comfortable chairs. He started those 10 days alert, and finished, under the graduated comfort of morphine, with his breath fading out on the 10th day like the sound of a prayer bell (never quite sure when it ended). It was an excessively painful time, and, oddly, somewhat joyful too - our family learned much, from him and each other.

The times after, the grief, were the most hellish I've experienced. Even now, knock-on effects can be debilitating. A good friend, however, once told me that how we experience grief is ours alone - that it is the most starkly personal, and puts into relief the truism of individuality (not as a judgement, but as a non-judgemental observation). It was a hard road, such that I feel the guilt of potentially placing the idea in front of you at this time. Grief can bring you many new revelations about yourself, including an anger...a burning anger, which can spray everywhere like an unattended firehose at times (at least in my case). Most of all though, and as a friend put it for me, ARRGGHH! FUCKING CANCER!

To my mind, during grieving, it is good to be selective of the circumstances and interractions you place yourself in. Perhaps MR is not the right place for you now...but don't be put off everything "online". It may seem frivolous to quote a Rock musical here, but when "the blackness would hit me, and the void would be calling" (and it did, sometimes still does), it was as much online interraction as family support (alas, there's a mess for me in that latter that doesn't bare talking about right now) that helped me through the madness. Sometimes that support was from people who were aware, and very gently, without comment, held me up. Sometimes it was just from the participation in some "normality" that was unaware of the grief. Sometimes that support was allowing the madness to show in the form of manic humour and downright jocular foolishness. Perhaps I still make those allowances of myself (okay, no "perhaps" - I still do ~smile~). Regardless...there are many good people out there whose gentle touch or simply willing ear will help. Actually, a willing ear, ready to listen without feeling the need to offer "advice", is a surprisingly (or not) helpful salve (and I am uncomfortably contradicting myself with this very post )

Six months after my father died, I lost my grandfather to the same disease. Six months after my grandfather died, I was again in the hospital, holding the hand of my much-loved mother-out-law as her breath, different to my father's, speeded up, hitched, and stopped suddenly with a slow exhale. [She'd had two operations over 18 months for a large meningioma growth, which deteriorated her mental faculties over that time, which was hard to watch in someone so intellectually agile, but no doubt harder to experience]

I guess my point is, death and grief can kick you harder than anything else, and every person who unknowingly (of your private pain) offers you criticism, pressure, or even insult can feel like they're giving a steel-booted kick while you're so very far down. Correspondingly, it is the oddest out-of-nowhere pats on the shoulder or back, for completely unrelated, sometimes minor things, and even from complete strangers, that can lift you, cradle you, from the depths. There are for more of the latter than the former out there, and there are far more of the non-strangers who will care enough to want to help; to gently, without comment, hold you steady when you need it, or just to listen when you need to HOWL your grief or rage at the universe. If you do not find them here, you will find them elsewhere, or they'll find you. Just keep an eye out for them...please.

Whatever you do though, do whatever you need to do to keep going. It's important. Keep going, and ask for help when you need it.

Yours with deep sadness and sincerity,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 07-28-2009 at 11:36 PM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I sit here in the lobby outside the ICU where my step dad lies on a ventilator and read Marc's posting and am very aware of why it is that MR is so important to me. Sure, y'all can get annoying every now and then but it's a family sort of annoying. Carl, please know that there are those who are saddened if you leave and that we are willing to share in your grief.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I agree. You guys are the absolute best.

carld, I'm gonna miss ya. I lost my younger brother 2 years ago to pulmonary hypertension brought on by meds from a misdiagnosis of T-Cell Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. 2 weeks before that, I lost my grandfather to colon cancer. My twin brother now lies in the hospital, also with T-Cell. I understand exactly how you're feeling.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family right now in your time of loss.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Dear Carld,

Losing a mother is painful at the best of times, but having cared for her during that time and 'being there' makes it all the more painful.

Please return when you feel stronger, and we will look forward to hearing from you again.

Sincerely,
Nohmi
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Carl, my thoughts are with you and your family.
And please to remember to take care of yourself.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Sorry for your loss
Hopefully we will see you on the forums again soon, refreshed and sharing favourite ebooks.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I am so sorry for your loss, Carl. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. God Bless you all.

Everyone else has said it so perfectly, but I just wanted to add that I hope you do come back to MR when you feel ready. I know that posters can be annoying sometimes, the nature of a forum making us forget the emotion behind our posts and the feelings of others who read them. There are truly wonderful people here who care about each other, at least I know I do, and I hope, that in time, you will come back to us.

Your friend,
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote