Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Killian
Enthusiast
Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
AC Power from USB - Will it work?

Hi all,

I should be in receipt of my PRS-505 tomorrow and want to get it charging whilst at work. When I bought my latest Windows Mobile it came with a plug that goes into the mains which then has a USB slot in it to charge my mobile.

Would this also work with the ebook reader or does it need something special in between? Also; I have a car charger that goes to mini USB. Would that also work?
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur
Momo_Germany began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (great!!) +DX, Sony PRS-505,-700,-600 (dislike!), iPad
Hi Kilian!

Congratulations to your new Sony!

Unfortunately the answer to your questions is NO. The Sony ebook Reader cannot be charged via the USB-plug if there is not a Computer on the other end of that cable, also not with a car-charger with Mini-USB.

I use the wall-charger, offered by Sony and this works perfectly.

Greetings,
Momo
Momo_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
No. The Reader will not charge from AC via USB. That will in fact drain power from the reader. If you want to charge via AC, you'll need to get a charger that plugs into the round port on the reader. A Sony PSP charger will work great.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
Killian
Enthusiast
Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.

Ah shucks; just listed my PSP on ebay as it was gathering dust. I bet they charge a premium for there charger right? Second thoughts; I bet I can find a cheap PSP in car charger on ebay...... I'm off for a look

Thanks to both of you for the clear answer
Old 07-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
Ah shucks; just listed my PSP on ebay as it was gathering dust. I bet they charge a premium for there charger right? Second thoughts; I bet I can find a cheap PSP in car charger on ebay...... I'm off for a look

Thanks to both of you for the clear answer
Yeah, they do charge a premium for the Reader charger. Not sure why. I snagged my charger at Target (and it was Sony branded) on clearance for $8.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Killian
Enthusiast

Just had a quick look on ebay and found this;

PSP In Car Charger

Or maybe I'd be better with this:

Sony Reader In Car Charger

Any thoughts? Am going camping next week so want to make sure I have something as a last resort
Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Killian--either one of those should work fine. But, how long are you camping for? If you give your battery a full charge before you leave it should last a couple of weeks at least without needing a charge. That's one of the great things about the reader!

dordale
Old 07-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Killian
Enthusiast

Good point....... only going for four days so maybe I won't bother! lol

Just thought it may be a good idea as a last resort but spose as long as I charge it up fully before I go anywhere for less than a week I ought to be alright.

Will save myself the money

Thanks dordale!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Just had a quick look on ebay and found this;

PSP In Car Charger

Or maybe I'd be better with this:

Sony Reader In Car Charger

Any thoughts? Am going camping next week so want to make sure I have something as a last resort
I'm going to say go with the PSP version. Sony didn't officially come out with a car charger that I know of, so the second strikes me as strange. You should be OK with battery life, but better safe than sorry I say!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi Killian

Want to charge it at work?

Take the usb cable that comes with the reader with you to work (hey it’s free!), connect it to any usb port of any powered computer at work (best if it’s yours) and connect the Sony to the other end.
Less then you think you have it full charged!

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
Killian
Enthusiast

Does it have to be the USB cable that comes with the sony or will any other generic usb to mini usb work just as well?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Does it have to be the USB cable that comes with the sony or will any other generic usb to mini usb work just as well?
Preferably the Sony one. I think I've seen on here where they've used another one and they didn't work (different pinouts I guess). That's not always the case.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 AM   #13
dordale
Wizard

I've used mine with a few different usb cables and haven't run into a problem yet. Just make sure the red light on the reader is on--that indicates that it's charging.

dordale
Old 07-29-2009, 02:56 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi Killian

Want to charge it at work?

Take the usb cable that comes with the reader with you to work (hey it’s free!), connect it to any usb port of any powered computer at work (best if it’s yours) and connect the Sony to the other end.
Less then you think you have it full charged!

Best regards,
Don't you also need to have the Sony eBook Library software installed before it will charge?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:57 AM   #15
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

No. Probably that was just with the 500.
Also all the generic usb cables I have used work.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote