Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
Firmware update for 3.2

Does anyone have any idea when the next firmware update due out, I have updated to 3.2.0, and it has slowed both of my glo's and my aura down.

Also it is taking 12+ minutes to boot up with 1300+ books on the device.

Apologies for the rant, but I am just annoyed at Kobo releasing something that has not been properly tested.
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Prepare to stay annoyed...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
No slowage here, but there you go. In the meantime, you could reduce your annoyance by not powering the device off (just sleep it), by reducing the number of books on your device, or possibly by downgrading your firmware.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
Does anyone have any idea when the next firmware update due out, I have updated to 3.2.0, and it has slowed both of my glo's and my aura down.

Also it is taking 12+ minutes to boot up with 1300+ books on the device.

Apologies for the rant, but I am just annoyed at Kobo releasing something that has not been properly tested.
Out of curiosity, are the books on the internal storage or on an external uSD card? What type of books are they? Average file size?

I have ~2100 books at this time (2000 on the external card, 100 on the internal storage) and the boot time is shorter than any version after 2.6.2.

I'm tempted to suggest a factory reset and re-upload of all your books. Though 3.2.0 does take much longer than previous firmwares when you add books, the boot times after the books have been added are quite speedy.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=183 for some more info. on his situation.

I also have to wonder about the directory structure for the books. At times I would love to see a simple dir or ls comand showing what directories and files exist on a user's internal and external storage.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Out of curiosity, are the books on the internal storage or on an external uSD card? What type of books are they? Average file size?

I have ~2100 books at this time (2000 on the external card, 100 on the internal storage) and the boot time is shorter than any version after 2.6.2.

I'm tempted to suggest a factory reset and re-upload of all your books. Though 3.2.0 does take much longer than previous firmwares when you add books, the boot times after the books have been added are quite speedy.

Regards,
David
DNSB,

I have only got 1 book which is an epub on the device, all the rest are kepubs, synched through both the wireless and the desktop app.

I have 6 book which are between 117.6mb and 54.5mb in size

101 which are between 43.5mb and 10.1mb

240 which are between 9.9mb and 5mb

1065 which are between 4.9mb and 122kb.

as you can see I have large variety of file sizes on my kobo's.

I have already tried a factory reset and resynch and it does not appear to have helped much.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Oddly enough, I now have 5001 and one books on my reader and boot up time is very fast. Accessing sheves is too long a wait still but boot up time is fast

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Nascarfan1972: I have finally had a look at the database you sent me some time ago. I have sent you a PM with what I could see.

One thing that stood out is that it appears that nearly all your books are on the SD card. And that nearly all of the come from Kobo. Is that correct? Have you sideloaded any books that are not shown in the library list?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #9
Nascarfan1972
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Nascarfan1972: I have finally had a look at the database you sent me some time ago. I have sent you a PM with what I could see.

One thing that stood out is that it appears that nearly all your books are on the SD card. And that nearly all of the come from Kobo. Is that correct? Have you sideloaded any books that are not shown in the library list?
Davidfor,

That is correct, nearly all of my books on the device have been purchased from kobo, and synched using either the wireless or the desktop.

I do not have any books that are not on the library list.

I have PM'ed you this morning as well.

Thanks
Rugbyfan1972