Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Soozen
Soozen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Kindle Fire User Needs Help

I have dragged & dropped epub books and music from my mp3 player and my computer to my Fire. The books don't open and the music gets a "playback error." (The books open nicely on my original Kindle.) I have Calibre and have tried to email the books to myself and get an error. I was able to get Calibre to recognize my Fire, but the book wouldn't open. Now Calibre doesn't detect my Fire at all.

As you can tell, I am not computer friendly but certainly willing to try if I can get some step by step instructions. I love my Fire but don't want to pay for books/music I already own.

Thanks much!
Soozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If the ebooks are from Amazon, and if they have DRM (encryption), then each ebook file is locked to a single device or app. What you describe sounds like DRMed ebooks from your Kindle EInk failing (as expected) on your Fire. One way to tell is to try to read them in Calibre, if this works then they are DRM-free.

You should be able to download Amazon Kindle ebooks for your Fire directly from Amazon. Amazon will give you a copy that is DRM-locked just to your particular Fire.

An alternative is to strip the DRM, which gives you a future-proof backup and allows a single ebook file to be managed by Calibre on multiple devices. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for more on DRM. Note that the 3rd party DRM-stripping plugins for Calibre are typically the easiest to use, but they work on import - so you would have to re-import your ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soozen View Post
I have dragged & dropped epub books and music from my mp3 player and my computer to my Fire. The books don't open and the music gets a "playback error." (The books open nicely on my original Kindle.) I have Calibre and have tried to email the books to myself and get an error. I was able to get Calibre to recognize my Fire, but the book wouldn't open. Now Calibre doesn't detect my Fire at all.

As you can tell, I am not computer friendly but certainly willing to try if I can get some step by step instructions. I love my Fire but don't want to pay for books/music I already own.

Thanks much!
Any books from Amazon that were on your other Kindle can be downloaded by going to book's page in the Amazon storefront, clicking on the Kindle version. At the top of the page, it will tell you that you purchased the book and when. On the right side of the page are "send to" boxes. Click send to your new Kindle, whatever it is called. The book will show up on your new Kindle without the problems mentioned above. *you won't be charged again*

I can't help you with the music problem. I have dragged all kinds of stuff from iTunes on to the Kindle Fire without a problem Not sure what the problem is there.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle fire