Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #16
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
They seem to keep pace with most of the other sites for the new books. The biggest problem IMHO is that they lack the back catalog from the publishers. Since this is true to an extent for all sites and most publishers, I view it as a decision by the publishers to withhold these books from eBook sites.

So we have a doughnut. Older works on PG and newer works at CONNECT. What we are missing is the big hole in the middle.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #17
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
I'm hoping they get the next Harry Potter book in. If they REALLY wanted to make a splash, that would be a very high profile way to go.

The advantage iTunes had was (beside rampant piracy!) Steve Jobs. He is an especially charismatic person (even when full of it), and he was solely responsible for the 99 cent per song thing... which was absolutely key to iTunes' success. Sony, unfortunately, doesn't have anyone as charismatic as Jobs.

I do wonder, though, if they have anyone as "visionary" as Jobs. Does Sony realize the major PR coupe the Harry Potter book would be for the Reader? I can only hope the answer is yes, and someone is kicking it... but I'm not too optomistic.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Oh, I'm sure they realize what a coup having the HP books would be! Unfortunately, it's J.K. Rowling that's saying "no" to e-Harry, and there's not too much can happen without her consent.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie
I'm hoping they get the next Harry Potter book in. If they REALLY wanted to make a splash, that would be a very high profile way to go.
Rowling has categorically refused to allow e-Book releases of any HP book on any platfrom. There are no "legit" HP e-Books and I can't honestly see that changing for the next one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:26 AM   #20
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
It's really amazing how short-sighted some people can be. She's allowing all the HP movies to be released on DVD, which is the same thing as e-harry/video and people can copy and share those, so I don't know why she is so averse to e-harry/text.

My wife is an aspiring author and is a member of a lot of yahoogroups which cater to authors and is also a member of a national association of authors in the genre she prefers and she is constantly sharing with me the discussions and paranoia these authors have concerning e-publication. Anyone would think, from these extremely paranoid discussions that:
A) authors are extremely heavier piraters of computer programs and data and so they suspect that everyone else will pirate their books, so they'll sell one copy and the whole world will be reading pirated copies of that single sale;
B) each author thinks that they have written the next novel that everybody everywhere in every language will want to read, and so they can dictate the publication terms and feel they can force more sales if their books are released in difficult-to-copy form;
C) The rest of us in this world are all stinking pirates who never buy legitimate copies of anything which is available in electronic form, and so they'll never sell more than one or two copies which will then be up on every warez site and freely distributed in the files sections of every yahoogroup no matter what its focus is.

The reality is that most of us are willing to pay the paperback price for an e-book and some of us are willing to pay the hardback price for a new release (I never buy new-release hardback books, so I don't expect I'll be willing to pay that price for an e-book -- I'll just have to wait for the price to drop to paperback prices just as I do in dead-tree bookstores), so all that paranoia is just so much tempest-in-a-teapot.

If they'd just try it, they might find a nice increase in their sales when people who have bought paper copies are willing to pay again for a more convenient e-book of the same title. I know that I've bought three diffferent copies of one book, having to buy a new copy when I have changed e-book formats (originally Palm Reader, then MobiPocket, and finally Sony Reader format) -- I better get it read quickly before I discover a new format! ;-)
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You've pretty much nailed it, dhbailey, but the straightforward paranoid falsehood is easier to understand (and thus, accept) than the more complicated truth.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It is a bit more complex than that. A mid tier author with an extensive backlist can derive a fairly steady income from re-prints. Maybe not enough to be the sole income, but enough to make a difference between just getting by and being able to afford some luxuries. They are terrified that ebooks will destroy this source of income. While you and I may feel that ebooks are the future, it's a pretty big gamble for these authors.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is a small group of authors who are very vocal on the subject. Most are sitting back, waiting to see what happens. It's kind of a chicken and egg situation. The authors don't want to release all their content until they know that the market will support them, so some are just releasing a couple of books to see what happens. On the other hand, it's hard to sale hardware until there is enough content. With mp3 players, at least the customers could generate their own content by ripping cd's. That's not the case with with eBooks.

One of the things that counter acts this chicken and egg situation is the public domain books and such publishers like Baen in SF. The other thing to keep in mind is that with the internet and improved scanners, there is a huge number of "pirated" books on the various news groups, irc sites and the like. That is a genie that isn't going back into the bottle.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote