Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #16
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I smell a Kindle Phone on the horizon
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If they actually make the Kindle store books available to anyone that can run a Mobipocket Reader instance, the Kindle will probably die, not least because Amazon is unlikely to continue developing it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I would think there is going to be some extra cost involved in getting the content. Maybe pay more for the books or special Kindle reader software at a price, or an additional access fee.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #19
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If they actually make the Kindle store books available to anyone that can run a Mobipocket Reader instance, the Kindle will probably die, not least because Amazon is unlikely to continue developing it.
There is still going to be some subset of us avid readers who are getting OLDER, and don't want to do prolonged reading on a cell phone device! My Palm PDA was really bothering my eyes; hence the justification for a Kindle last year. I'll read on my cell phone in the grocery checkout line, but when I sit down to really READ, the Kindle is much better on the eyes.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I think wireless delivery is still pretty compelling. Still, no reason they have to be the sole developer of the hardware or that EVDO has to be the only connection available.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #21
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
So I'm going to be here with my Sony Reader and my cellphone (the dumbest one I could fine cuz I just want to make phone calls with it) and I'll be the only one on the planet who won't be able to buy and read ebooks from Amazon? Man, am I bummed.
Well, smart for a dog is dim for a rutabaga.

MAN! It took me all day to set that up!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #22
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I use my Touch as a backup ebook reader when I don't want to carry the Kindle. It's fine for short reading sessions but longer sessions are not only hard on my eyes but the battery drains quickly (as compared to the Kindle).

I can't imagine reading on my cell with it's far smaller screen than the touch much less the Kindle.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #23
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think most folks who read on their phones have smartphones with somewhat larger screens. Mine's about 3". Still far from ideal, and not something I'd want to read on for long, but much larger than many phones.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
There is still going to be some subset of us avid readers who are getting OLDER, and don't want to do prolonged reading on a cell phone device! My Palm PDA was really bothering my eyes; hence the justification for a Kindle last year. I'll read on my cell phone in the grocery checkout line, but when I sit down to really READ, the Kindle is much better on the eyes.
The point is that if they open up their store to cell phones, its going to be open to everything, which makes the Kindle pretty irrelevant. You would be able to read Kindle store books on a Cybook for example.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #25
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Not if you have to install a specific app in order to read a Kindle book.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If Amazon opens the store to cell phones, it will make absolutely no sense for them to close it to other devices/computers. Which means they'll make the app to read the books available for other devices/computers.

EDIT: Of course with companies just because something makes no sense doesn't mean they wont do it

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 02-09-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #27
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Not if you have to install a specific app in order to read a Kindle book.
I assume this is exactly what will happen, the Kindle app will be distinct from the MOBI app. However, unless Amazon changes the DRM this will open up the Amazon store to anyone with a smartphone and the inclination to strip the DRM. For those outside the US (or without a smartphone), the real question will be how hard it is to spoof Amazon's "US only" and "specific phones-only" protections.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #28
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Kovidgoyal, I think the issue that you are forgetting is DRM. I would suspect that Amazon has contracts that require DRM, which means these apps must be able to read the DRM that kindle uses. I can easily see Amazon rolling out the kindle app for the iPhone and any other cell phone that 1) has enough market to make it worth while and 2) isn't hard to write for. Once DRM goes away, then I can see Amazon opening up the kindle store for everyone. Amazon makes their money by saleing product, not from making it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #29
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Kovidgoyal, I think the issue that you are forgetting is DRM. I would suspect that Amazon has contracts that require DRM, which means these apps must be able to read the DRM that kindle uses. I can easily see Amazon rolling out the kindle app for the iPhone and any other cell phone that 1) has enough market to make it worth while and 2) isn't hard to write for. Once DRM goes away, then I can see Amazon opening up the kindle store for everyone. Amazon makes their money by saleing product, not from making it.
The applications basically exist already -- Mobipocket readers for all sorts of platforms -- and Amazon already owns 'em. It would only take minor tweaking to the DRM system to allow both Kindle and other device PIDs to read the content, if that's what they want to do.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:23 AM   #30
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Why on earth would they not want to sell ebooks to anyone with money and an electronic device with a screen?

Why would this kill the Kindle ereader? I have a Kindle but very few books from Amazon. It's a fine reader. If I didn't have it I would buy some other reader with an eInk screen I would not use a cell phone.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote