Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #136
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Every time I look, it is a different price.
I know I saw it for $290, and I think I might have first seen it for $280.

But I would need 32GB SSD, and 4GB Ram so I haven't paid much attention to the bare bones price. Sure I can add the Ram fairly cheap. It was about $12 or $16 for the Acer C7 to got from 2 to 4GB doing it yourself, but the 32GB SSD???
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #137
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Google Chromebook Pixel

Mine is already on the FedEx truck.
5 days from San Francisco to the South of Germany. I've had faster deliveries, 2 days being the record. But I'll probably have it for the weekend and that's great.
I'll post my impressions in a few hours (hopefully).

Last edited by mgmueller; 06-07-2013 at 02:43 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #138
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got mine!

Got mine today around noon!
Posted my impressions in my thread "8+ readers" in "which one to buy".

To summarise: No surprises. Neither positive nor negative.
Great display and strong speakers.
Average keyboard imho.
Fast and responsive.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #139
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Got mine today around noon!
Posted my impressions in my thread "8+ readers" in "which one to buy".

To summarise: No surprises. Neither positive nor negative.
Great display and strong speakers.
Average keyboard imho.
Fast and responsive.
Congratulations!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #140
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Congratulations!
Still playing around with it.
Maybe 8 hours today so far.
Really nice!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #141
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Still playing around with it.
Maybe 8 hours today so far.
Really nice!
Gratulieren!

I suppose the screen is everything they rave about?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #142
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Gratulieren!

I suppose the screen is everything they rave about?
Let me phrase it this way:
I'm in a hotel in the middle of nowhere from today, Sunday, til Wednesday.
All I took with me are Google Chromebook Pixel (just typing this on it) and my MacBook Air.
The latter only for work, all my data is on it.
But no other gadget.

Meaning: Phantastic display, surprisingly powerful and clear speakers. Great user experience.
Only minor complaint:
It's a Chromebook. From Google themselves. And no Google Earth and no Picasa?
Strange!
Picasa I kind of understand. Probably not as popular as Flickr for example.
But the gorgeous Google Earth? Certainly would look great on this phantastic display...

I gave more details here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1283

Last edited by mgmueller; 06-09-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #143
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Let me phrase it this way:
I'm in a hotel in the middle of nowhere from today, Sunday, til Wednesday.
All I took with me are Google Chromebook Pixel (just typing this on it) and my MacBook Air.
The latter only for work, all my data is on it.
But no other gadget.

Meaning: Phantastic display, surprisingly powerful and clear speakers. Great user experience.
Only minor complaint:
It's a Chromebook. From Google themselves. And no Google Earth and no Picasa?
Strange!
Picasa I kind of understand. Probably not as popular as Flickr for example.
But the gorgeous Google Earth? Certainly would look great on this phantastic display...

I gave more details here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1283
The news about the fan and Earth are surprising.
Keep up the reporting.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #144
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
The news about the fan and Earth are surprising.
Keep up the reporting.
Yes, it's interesting to follow this. The fan was quite surprising, but I can understand the Google Earth issue. Earth is a native application for each platform, so it would be an additional step to build a ChromeOS version.

Whether this is in the works or not, I don't know, but a lot of the functionality has been built into Google Maps, which presumably runs pretty well on the Pixel. (The satellite view is snappy enough on my Samsung ARM Chromebook.)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #145
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Admittedly I was also surprised about the fan noise. The Pixel was supposed to be a flagship model, showing OEM companies what is possible to do on the platform, if that is the case fan noise is a major bugaboo on my spec sheet. Earth, not so much, that will be rectified over time.
Also, in my experience fans tend to suck in a lot of, I believe the scientific term is, crud, over time. It will be interesting to follow mgmueller's reporting here. These are the things that never show up on spec sheets.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #146
mgmueller
Member Retired

Fan on Chromebook Pixel

There may be a simple explanation.
I'm a bit of an "Adrian Monk".
In the hotel for example, I don't put my valued gadgets on the table.
Who knows, what has been spilled there before?
So I put my Chrombook Pixel on the sleeve.
This seriously might harm air circulation.

And fan "noise" of course is a bit harsh.
It's not the sound of an Airbus engine, it's the usual whisper.

In direct comparison, I'd say:
MacBook Air's fan from time to time (30%?) is louder.
But therefore Pixel's fan is on more often.
It's not constantly on, as it seemed at first.
But once it starts, it stays on for quite some while.
Not much different from Surface Pro.

In a tablet I find it more obtrusive, than on a notebook.
Simply because you hold a tablet closer to your face/ears.

On both, Surface Pro and Chromebook Pixel, the fan is obvious.
You easily can ignore it, but you will hear it at first.
But on both I don't consider it a show stopper.
I'd call it "one minor detail from perfection"...

Last edited by mgmueller; 06-10-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #147
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
noise at 2 meters is unacceptable for flagship model.

(exception young child may hear quantum levels jumped)

common mode for ventilation fan should be:
1) pull in air through filter
2) blow "clean" air among components out exit hole
removing heat

Last edited by forsooth; 06-10-2013 at 03:47 AM.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:14 AM   #148
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I have to admit, if I was asked to come up with one thing about the Samsung ARM Chromebook which makes it stand out I'd say "it's totally silent". Even the whisper of the Pixel is likely to annoy me now that I've experienced a laptop that makes no fan or disk noise.

(And my desktop monitor whines, but that's another matter.)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:14 AM   #149
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't mind the 32GB, it has an SD slot.
so "flagship" has SD slot
but not Nexus?

or is tablet form difference?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #150
forsooth
tec montage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I have to admit, if I was asked to come up with one thing about the Samsung ARM Chromebook which makes it stand out I'd say "it's totally silent". Even the whisper of the Pixel is likely to annoy me now that I've experienced a laptop that makes no fan or disk noise.

(And my desktop monitor whines, but that's another matter.)

Graham
I am surprised for noise

question on monitor?
is it Cathode Ray Tube?