Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
What is the viewable resolution of the K3?

I just ordered his & hers Amazon Kindle 3 Wi-Fi readers for my wife and I. Supposedly they'll be shipped around the middle of September but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'll be happy if they come in by my wife's birthday around the middle of October.

I'm working on converting, cleaning up and reformatting my collection of ebooks. Most of what I have are lit and epub files. My question is regarding images. I see the screen resolution is 600 x 800. It seems like I'd read somewhere that the viewable resolution is a little less than this. Can someone tell me what the viewable area of the Kindle 3 screen is so I can adjust my cover images accordingly?

Thanks.

- Byron Followell
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Cover images (only the actual proper cover) are displayed fullscreen, so I guess that would be 600x800 too .

For images embedded anywhere else, it's a bit smaller, taking panels/margins into account. A quick screenshot and the ruler tool in any decent image processing tool should give you a precise answer .

(Actually, I'm not even sure anymore if images are subjected to the white margins at all :/.)

I don't do much MOBI/ePub formatting, so take this with a grain of salt, I may be completely off .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-27-2010 at 11:11 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:49 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As NiLuJe says, covers are shown full size (600x800). On the Kindle 2, the in-line maximum MOBI/AZW image size is 520 by 622. On the Kindle 3 this may be a bit larger. Note that the Kindle automatically rescales images and so one option is to do nothing with the images within the ebook.

For conversion from ePub and LIT, I suggest using Calibre with Kindle 2 as the MOBI output target option. I guess there may eventually be a Kindle 3 option, but I would expect the K2 target to be good enough. One thing that Calibre will do is convert ePub SVG to MOBI images, and this is where the K2 target comes in (it sets the image size). Calibre will also shrink large images to the allowed image size.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to both of you for your answers. I really appreciate you taking the time. These are just what I needed.

- Byron
Old 08-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
bfollowell
Fanatic

Hey, thanks again guys. One more quick related question. I've also heard that the Kindle automatically stretches an image to fill all dimensions of the Kindle screen while not maintaining the original aspect ratio. Since the Kindle screen is quite a bit wider in relation to it's height that a typical paperback or hardback book, this would give a stretched, "fat" cover image.

Is this true?

If so, I'm assuming I would first need to paste my image onto a 600 x 800 (or some multiple of that) image so that the cover wouldn't be stretched?

Thannks again for your help.

- Byron
Old 08-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
I've also heard that the Kindle automatically stretches an image to fill all dimensions of the Kindle screen while not maintaining the original aspect ratio. Since the Kindle screen is quite a bit wider in relation to it's height that a typical paperback or hardback book, this would give a stretched, "fat" cover image.
This might be the case for cover images. For images inside the ebook, images are magnified by default up to 2x in size but the aspect ratio is maintained.

Note that for a MOBI, the cover is separate from the ebook reading flow and is only visible when reading the ebook on a Kindle by selecting the cover in a menu. Some MOBIs also repeat the cover image at the start of the ebook flow.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote