Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Looking for Young Adult Recommendations!

Hey Everybody, now that I'm back in the states it's about time I put together a nice book list and did a little shopping. I don't have a job anymore, so that means plenty of time to read, right?

I'm just a huge fan of that kind of youthful, inspirational, exciting feeling you get from reading about people overcoming the odds and discovering something new. Most of the time they end up being young adult and fantasy stories. I'd love to hear what you've read lately that you liked. Hunger Games is definitely already on my list.

Thanks for your help. I'm always looking for new, fun books!
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
I am an adult but I really enjoyed Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series (Uglies, Pretties, Specials, and Extras). His "Midnighters" series was also very good.

Here's a review to give you an idea what the series is about:
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/01...l#previouspost

Last edited by mrsquash; 07-31-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Link to a review
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
If you aren't looking exclusively for ebooks then almost anything by Diana Wynne Jones is a good bet.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, some people responded! Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsquash View Post
I am an adult but I really enjoyed Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series (Uglies, Pretties, Specials, and Extras). His "Midnighters" series was also very good.

Here's a review to give you an idea what the series is about:
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/01...l#previouspost
Awesome, thanks so much for that link. Forced cosmetic surgery, huh? Sounds interesting. Reminds me a big of Kurt Vonnegut in...that book where there's forced equality to account for appearance, strength, etc. Interesting idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexBits View Post
If you aren't looking exclusively for ebooks then almost anything by Diana Wynne Jones is a good bet.
Yeah, I don't mind reading DTBs. I'll do a little research on this author and see what she's about. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
There's a "coming of age" book by Timothy Zahn that I originally read as a teen that I liked called A Coming of Age.

Out of print for a quarter century, likely to never see another print run, who knows when there will ever be an official ebook, and I of course can't link to a (reasonably) well ebook formatted PDF I made from a txt file I found on-line.

Doesn't mean nobody can PM me though...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Terry Pratchet has a series of books starting with "A Hatfull of Sky" that are silly but inspirational.

Try "The Ayre Affair" by Jasper Fford - inspires you to read more serious literature as characters from books show up as guests.

Ever read the original "Willy Wonka" or "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
What genre r u looking for? What r some things you will not read?
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
There are many, many good suggestions in this article and in the comments section that follows it:
http://boingboing.net/2008/05/01/you...-sections.html
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't know if this will help you out

http://www.mcpl.lib.mo.us/readers/se...e.cfm?browse=A

there are different ways to search, I found a few favorites from when I was younger lol!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya, Forever July. Drop me a line and I'll send you some YA titles, with our compliments, from my wee own house. I think they might well fit the bill. Do let me know in your email which digital format you prefer. Cheers. Neil -- ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign, of course).
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!

Thanks for the responses, everyone, and for the link to the sites, emonti and mrsquash. I have read most of the well-known stuff: Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Golden Compass, Hunger Games. For some reason the Percy Jackson series just doesn't seem to interest me. But more than whatever the latest hot book is, I'd love to hear about books you really got excited about. It doesn't have to be new or popular. I'm also open to fellow indie authors. Anything in this genre you read recently that you really loved?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

Well, u already mentioned Suzanne Collins, sooo.... Cassandra Clare, Richelle Mead, Holly Black, Kami Garcia, Maggie Stiefvater, Sarwat Chadda, Temple Mathews, James Patterson, Melissa Marr, Mary E. Pearson, Delia Sherman (the cover is awesome!!!!), Laurie Faria Stolarz (love love love this series), Scott Westerfeld, um....I'm running out of steam lol. Those r a few I can think of right now.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
Well, u already mentioned Suzanne Collins, sooo.... Cassandra Clare, Richelle Mead, Holly Black, Kami Garcia, Maggie Stiefvater, Sarwat Chadda, Temple Mathews, James Patterson, Melissa Marr, Mary E. Pearson, Delia Sherman (the cover is awesome!!!!), Laurie Faria Stolarz (love love love this series), Scott Westerfeld, um....I'm running out of steam lol. Those r a few I can think of right now.
HAhaha, I think that'll give me something to work through. I feel like I can cross Kami Garcia off right away, but I've heard good things about Clare and Maggie Steifvater. Thanks for reeling off a few names!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

WHAT!?!? Don't cross Kami off, she's good I swear! Just give her a chapter, it's really quite different! Don't feel that way!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Roald Dahl has some in ebook. I really enjoyed 'The Witches.'
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote