Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
LRF to MOBI?

I've been using Bookit to grab files from Firefox and get them onto my Sony 505 via calibre.

But I've switched to reading on a Kindle 2, and have found, to my dismay, the Bookit output is LRF, and calibre won't convert from it.

But now that calibre is Kindle friendly, I'm wondering if Kovid has any plans to tweak calibre to convert from LRF as well as to lrf?

Alternatively, is anyone aware of a user friendly converter that will convert LRF to unprotected MOBI or AZW on a Mac?
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
You can look under the LRF section and look into LRFTools. It works though I would not call it user friendly. Once you get the hang of it though it is pretty easy to use.
I am also on a Mac and tit works for me...

-Rob
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
You can look under the LRF section and look into LRFTools. It works though I would not call it user friendly. Once you get the hang of it though it is pretty easy to use.
I am also on a Mac and tit works for me...
Thanks, Rob. I went over & took a look. It all looks like gibberish to me, so it appears that to use the tools there, I have a learning curve to climb.

The tools would be useful to me if what I wanted to do was convert books from lrf to azw. But my objective is just to convert articles I find while browsing the internet. Since I browse with Firefox, I can always do a "save as PDF" to get something I can load into calibre and convert. So I have a workaround, in several steps, that doesn't require me to get involved with such tools. I also have the option of using Instapaper, and getting the text on my iphone.

Basically, I've been seduced by the ease of using Bookit and calibre when I was using a 505, and just hoping for the same ease of use now that I'm on a Kindle. If Bookit would output a pdf instead of an lrf, or calibre convert lrf, it would get me where I'd like to be, which is to be able to snag articles while browsing & send them right to calibre, where they will be waiting for me to load them on my K2.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am in the same boat as you... I got soiled with the Sony and stuff like BookIt... now that I have the Kindle, well, I have to do without it.
LRFTools took me a couple days , no kidding, to get the hang of it. I used to to convert books to HMTL and then used Calibre to convert it to mobi.
If you are looking for something to convert BookIt pages then I think you are wasting your time
Old 05-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I am in the same boat as you... I got soiled with the Sony and stuff like BookIt... now that I have the Kindle, well, I have to do without it.
Spoiled is right. But Eddie, the guy who made Bookit, emailed me that he will see what he can do to return us to that spoiled condition. He can't promise a date, but he already has an idea about how to do it.
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard

Good to hear that!